Old 24 February 2023, 11:09   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: -
Make: -
Length: no boat
Engine: -
Dublin Calling

Hi,

Just joined having lurked for a while - finding the site hugely informative.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing a new RIB in the 5m range.

There are two Irish operators - Neptune (relatively new to the market and based in Co. Cork) and Lencraft (more established and based in Co. Waterford). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience of either.

I'm also looking at the UK-based operator XS Ribs who have an Irish agent based in Co. Waterford - Nautic Inflatable Services out of Dungarvan.

Thanks.
Old 24 February 2023, 11:17   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Don’t forget Redbay, I know it’s not quite in your parish, but certainly worth considering.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 11:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Don’t forget Redbay, I know it’s not quite in your parish, but certainly worth considering.
Thanks Dave. I had considered them but their range commences at 6.1m - or do they customise?
Old 24 February 2023, 11:33   #4

RIBase
Dublin Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibNetUser View Post
Thanks Dave. I had considered them but their range commences at 6.1m - or do they customise?

Allegedly they do a shortened 6.1 to a 5.5m. I tried to order one a few years back & they weren’t interested, too busy doing bigger more profitable stuff. I’d definitely have a look at the 6.1 though if it fits the brief.
There’s always the “ultimate 5.45” to consider if you want to buy from the UK[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 24 February 2023, 11:58   #5

Town: cork
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki DF90A
Be careful, there is a vast difference in overall quality, reliability and longevity between manufacturers so depends if you want a "Fiat" or a "Merc"
Old 24 February 2023, 12:01   #6

Quote:
Allegedly they do a shortened 6.1 to a 5.5m. I tried to order one a few years back & they weren’t interested, too busy doing bigger more profitable stuff. I’d definitely have a look at the 6.1 though if it fits the brief.
There’s always the “ultimate 5.45” to consider if you want to buy from the UK[emoji6]
Thanks - I'll make an inquiry with Redbay as well.
Old 24 February 2023, 12:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokee View Post
Be careful, there is a vast difference in overall quality, reliability and longevity between manufacturers so depends if you want a "Fiat" or a "Merc"
Thanks Jokee - I see both yourself and Dave are Ribcraft enthusiasts. I trust that's the brand you'd recommend from personal experience.
Old 24 February 2023, 14:11   #8

RIBase
Dublin Calling

Quote:
Thanks Jokee - I see both yourself and Dave are Ribcraft enthusiasts. I trust that's the brand you'd recommend from personal experience.

Depends on what your requirements are & how much you’re prepared to spend/wait. I have a RC, but Redbay were certainly on my list when I bought my current boat. If they had come back to me with a price, I might have a Redbay in the shed instead of a RC. Both brands are “commercial” in appearance and build. With prices to match. That said, Ribcraft have just undergone a radical change in ownership & management, so things may have changed. But they still seem to be concentrating on the bigger commercial/government contracts.
You’re looking at 5m boats, depending on where you’re intending cruising & in what conditions, you may have to choose wisely. I have a RC545 which punches well above its weight for a relatively small boat, it’s crossed the Irish Sea a couple of times & been to St Kilda & the Channel Islands.
Old 24 February 2023, 14:26   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Hi,

Just joined having lurked for a while - finding the site hugely informative.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing a new RIB in the 5m range.

There are two Irish operators - Neptune (relatively new to the market and based in Co. Cork) and Lencraft (more established and based in Co. Waterford). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience of either.

I'm also looking at the UK-based operator XS Ribs who have an Irish agent based in Co. Waterford - Nautic Inflatable Services out of Dungarvan.

Thanks.

Another question, is this your first RIB/Boat or do you have experience of either?
Old 24 February 2023, 14:34   #10

Quote:
Depends on what your requirements are & how much you’re prepared to spend/wait. I have a RC, but Redbay were certainly on my list when I bought my current boat. If they had come back to me with a price, I might have a Redbay in the shed instead of a RC. Both brands are “commercial” in appearance and build. With prices to match. That said, Ribcraft have just undergone a radical change in ownership & management, so things may have changed. But they still seem to be concentrating on the bigger commercial/government contracts.
You’re looking at 5m boats, depending on where you’re intending cruising & in what conditions, you may have to choose wisely. I have a RC545 which punches well above its weight for a relatively small boat, it’s crossed the Irish Sea a couple of times & been to St Kilda & the Channel Islands.
My intention is a bit of leisurely (fair weather) cruising - Dublin Bay, perhaps drop it in the Shannon for a spin up the river and into Lough Ree, west Cork for a week or two in the Summer etc. Probably three or four adults and minimum gear - not fishing or diving. Preference is for new rather than second-hand as I'd rather not have the attendant money pit issues that could arise with the latter. No plans to enter international waters!
Old 24 February 2023, 14:41   #11

Quote:
Another question, is this your first RIB/Boat or do you have experience of either?
I have previous experience of RIBs when I did some diving but content to stay on the water this time around.
Old 24 February 2023, 15:10   #12

Excalibur ribs are worth a call, you'll find them at Haven Marine in Cork. They told me they would build up to 6.0m boat so that would fit your spec.
Talk or email XS directly in UK, very straight forward to deal with. They can arrange delivery to Dublin (have done for me) and export paperwork etc. Their boats last very well and you'll see lots of them working hard in sailing clubs around Dublin.
Worth talking to a few Lencraft owners about their boats.
I have no experience of Neptune but they should be easy to view.
I've found it very hard to keep Redbay's attention, have had one in the past-very capable boat.
Ribcraft might be worth a call too. They've been building and exporting boats for quite a while and have a boat of the right size intheir line up.
Rib market in Ireland is small so as well as picking a boat that you like have an eye to the day that you will want to sell too, as Jokee says above.
Happy shopping.
Old 24 February 2023, 15:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
Excalibur ribs are worth a call, you'll find them at Haven Marine in Cork. They told me they would build up to 6.0m boat so that would fit your spec.....
Thanks Iron Dials for the input - I'll touch base with Haven Marine as well.

I take the point - the day you buy is the day you sell!
Old 24 February 2023, 16:57   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Personally in your shoes I'd not discount a used rig, not many folk buy the right boat first time, especially those with limited experience. Many buy either too large, too small wrong layout etc etc a sub 10year old boat is unlikely to be a money pit if you stick to the main engine brands Yamaha suzuki or mercury. What you will avoid is the initial hit of depreciation that a new boat is likely to attract as someone else will have taken that hit. If you then find you bought the wrong boat (which many folk do) then you will probably be able to sell for most of your money back & with the knowledge gained probably choose & specify the boat that fits your needs best.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 24 February 2023, 17:01   #15

Town: cork
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki DF90A
Ribnetuser, Like yourself, I returned to ribbing after 20 years - when the kids stopped emptying my pockets. After piles of research and advice from experienced ribbers, I learned that looking good with loads of bling doesn't always make a good boat. You will find plenty of horror stories on this forum of tube seams becoming unstuck etc. in some brands after relatively short lifespans compared to others. Sea keeping ability, when weather turns and the fan is hit is also important - maybe not so on the Shannon, but certainly where the atlantic hits West Cork. This is what prodded me to Ribcraft.
There are some makers mentioned above to be avoided - I won't name which in an attempt to avoid court - your enquiries will get these names very quickly
Old 24 February 2023, 17:40   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Personally in your shoes I'd not discount a used rig, not many folk buy the right boat first time, especially those with limited experience. Many buy either too large, too small wrong layout etc etc a sub 10year old boat is unlikely to be a money pit if you stick to the main engine brands Yamaha suzuki or mercury. What you will avoid is the initial hit of depreciation that a new boat is likely to attract as someone else will have taken that hit. If you then find you bought the wrong boat (which many folk do) then you will probably be able to sell for most of your money back & with the knowledge gained probably choose & specify the boat that fits your needs best.

They were my thoughts too re. Used rig. That’s why I asked about the OP’s previous experience. A cheaper but quality rig would serve to work out what the OP’s requirements are & wouldn’t be a bit hit on the residuals.
Old 24 February 2023, 19:51   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Welcome to RIBnet, OP.

Redbay won't get out of bed for less than 6.1m. Great boats but the economics of handbuilding custom craft in Ireland make it unviable.

Ribcraft - great boats

XS - very good contender for yer moolah

Lencraft - IMVHO, if the Lenane Bros are still running the s##tshow, well, run....
Old 25 February 2023, 15:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post

Thanks Beamishken.

I suppose if the right 2nd hand RIB came along I could be persuaded in terms of reduced initial outlay and not taking the depreciation hit. I'm just wary of the potential expenditure if the wrong 2nd hand RIB is purchased. Caveat emptor and all that.
Old 25 February 2023, 15:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokee View Post
Ribnetuser, Like yourself, I returned to ribbing after 20 years - when the kids stopped emptying my pockets. After piles of research and advice from experienced ribbers, I learned that looking good with loads of bling doesn't always make a good boat.
Thanks Jokee.

I appreciate that a quality hull from a competent builder far outweighs eye-catching kit. For that reason I'm tending towards XS - and perhaps Ribcraft. I think I'm getting a feel for those to be avoided. I'll say no more!
Old 25 February 2023, 15:52   #20

Quote:
They were my thoughts too re. Used rig. That’s why I asked about the OP’s previous experience. A cheaper but quality rig would serve to work out what the OP’s requirements are & wouldn’t be a bit hit on the residuals.
Thanks Dave - I won't rule out a 2nd hand RIB just wary of what I could end up with.