Old 22 October 2012, 22:53   #1

Town: les cheneaux islands mich
Boat name: damselfly
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
damselfly signs on: MK1 restoration help

Hi Folks, Ive been "gifted" a Zodiac MK1 gt. There are many holes and caches of mouse seed. Most of the chunks have been blown away; now what? Needs cleaning and patching. Lots of patching. I would welcome any advice so i dont do any harm. I plan to work on it in the garage but since Im in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan it will get pretty cold. Assuming that is not the ideal condition for glue and such? I am a recent grad of traditional wooden boat building school but this project is out of my league.
Old 23 October 2012, 01:14   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome damselfly

I was in Sioux Saint Marie years ago... So I know you get half decent summers too!

You need to work out a couple of things before proceeding with a repair on this Zodiac.

The boat build plate will be on the transom, so you'll have a year of manufacture date to go on. It's important, primarily because it will determine how much time and money you want to spend on something that's possibly only fit for the bin?

I still have a late 1980s Zodiac MkII CGT that has the seams under the lace cuff and row locks. Later boats, the seam was below the water line, so it wasn't subjected to the same expansion and contraction due to heat. More of an issue for boats state-side and in the Med as you actually see the sun!

Temperature and humidity play an important part in the repair. Assuming the boat is PVC (same colour of fabric both sides), then repairs are straight forward. Preparation is key, and you'll need the proper two part adhesive, and to thoroughly prepare the area by sanding, degreasing, etc.

More details here. inflatable boat repair information and procedures about gluing and fabrics

Get some pictures up so we can see progress.
Old 23 October 2012, 15:35   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
More info here:
Repair / Care Instructions at NRSweb.com

jky