Old 02 August 2020, 22:07   #1

Town: Southampton
Length: 5m +
Considering buying a Rib

Good evening All,

Hope you’ve all had an awesome weekend and were able to enjoy the bit of sunshine we were lucky enough to get?

Very new to the boating world so a friend recommended I join. Wanted to say Hi

Reason for joining, earlier this year I purchased a little Dinghy with 2.5hp Outboard for my son and I to play around on the River. We’ve totally loved every second and have been out most weekends since! This new found passion has now meant that I spend most of my evenings looking at Ribs! (That didn’t take long did it) If all goes to plan, I’ll be looking to purchase Summer next year so although I don’t have any specific questions as yet, I do feel very grateful to have you guys to talk too as it’s difficult to know where to start with a limited budget. Have been looking at c6m Ribeye, Avon, Ballistic etc with anything between 100 & 150hp. Have been looking at c2005/2007.

Anyways, really pleased to be a part of this forum

LMMR
Old 03 August 2020, 19:18   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi, I'm pretty new to boats with an engine myself so please don't take what I say to mean anything with a background of experience.
I can't help thinking "played about with a 2.5hp" to wanting to buy a 150hp is maybe a step to far!
Old 03 August 2020, 19:40   #3

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Hi, and welcome!

I am relatively new to ribs, but have two now LOL. I found doing the RYA Powerboat Level 2 very useful. Not only will you learn some essential skills but (and check before you book) most courses are run using a rib c 5 - 6 metres, so it is useful experience of how a boat like that feels and gives you a benchmark for comparing potential purchases.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03 August 2020, 20:42   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
We went from quite a lot of years in small sailing dinghies (Optimists, Toppers, etc.) and little outboard boats to a new 6.2 Avon back in 1999/2000. A reasonable jump, but as above, we had an RYA instructor come and do a Level 2 course on our own boat as soon as we bought it to aid familiarity and teach us how best to use it. We also bought it new from our local marina/dealer, and had thus had various test drives to see what we wanted and get a feel for different boats, and pick up some knowledge.

Definitely worth getting some experience and knowledge before you jump in completely, whether via a Level 2 course at an RYA centre, or getting out on a few boats. In the past people on here would take others out for tests, but obviously at the moment I suspect that's a bit more challenging!

But no reason not to trade up if you're enjoying the dinghy and want a bit more. Just make sure you think about the whole picture beyond the initial purchase cost, e.g. storage, servicing, fuel, launch fees, etc., as it will clearly be more expensive to keep/run than a small dinghy, even more so if you're going to dry stack or keep in a marina.
Old 03 August 2020, 20:48   #5

It’s a very fair point! I probably wouldn’t regard it as an upgrade. Being in the dinghy has given me opportunity to see first hand the enjoyment families and friends are getting when they come back into the Marina after a warm day over the Isle of Wight. (Whilst we’ve been chugging around admiring boats in the Marina) I’ve lived in the south coast my entire life but only now I’ve been able to see a glimpse of what boating is all about. Defiantly fancy giving it a go
Old 03 August 2020, 21:11   #6

Thank you so much for responding. Since your post, I have been on the RYA website and now know exactly where they carry out the course in the local area! (there are quite a few to choose from which surprised me) so will get myself booked on as soon as I can. Great to know that they generally use 5 to 6 meters to do the training too. If you don’t mind me asking, what size do you have? I was originally looking at 5m but having two young children I wanted the option to have them sat behind me if the water started to get a bit lively which you only really seem to get that set up with 6m+?
Old 03 August 2020, 21:53   #7

Yes, RYA centres on the South Coast aren't a problem to find at all! Take a look at the websites of your local centres, or phone them for a chat, and see what boats they use. There's quite a variation, with some running 5m RIB's, and some running 7-8+m RIB's. If you're thinking of getting a 5-6m RIB, maybe best to see what centres have something in that size range so you can really get a feel for what you might buy, as opposed to an 8m RIB which is a lot bigger.

I'm currently on a pretty large 9m Ribtec with 6 jockey seats, but when I was about 14 we started with an Avon Adventure 620 (6.2m), which had the seating configuration you describe of 2 rows of (bench) seats, the console, and the forward "suicide" seat. I think in general you'd be able to get that layout on about 5.5m+, but maybe not quite on a 5.0m. Personally I would certainly want children aft of the typical console position, and not up in the bow.

If you're not aware, there's quite a difference in hulls as well, with some shaped to handle a rough sea better than others. The Avon Adventure series are actually quite a mild vee, so not necessarily the best sea keeping (and not much loved on here), but based in Poole we happily used it between the Solent and Weymouth year round, and found it really nicely balanced and never had any issues. My current Ribtec is a much more serious deep vee, and does definitely take the seas better, but it's also a much longer and heavier (diesel) boat, designed for completely different usage, and I do much longer distances in it. Each to their own, but for typical family usage and not necessarily doing long distances in rough weather I wouldn't get too hung up on the hull/vee, unless you really want the ultimate rough weather performance - the layout, overall build quality and engine are probably more important to get a boat right for your family.
Old 03 August 2020, 22:06   #8

Boat name: SPOOK
Make: Grand
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Hi LMMR.
Mendez Marine opposite SWANWICK are excellent. They have 2 RIBs they run courses on, one of which (Kake) is 6m. Give them a call, they’re good people.
L
Old 03 August 2020, 22:33   #9

Really appreciate this, thank you. Running costs I’m starting to learn play a bit part in investing in a rib but still now, I wouldn’t know what it would cost to service and engine or to have a hull anti-fouled! I still have a whole lot to learn and posts like this are massively helpful. In my research I managed to find out that The Crown Estate own some midstream moorings that are very reasonably priced but with a 2 to 3 year waiting list I’ll need to look at other shorter term options. In terms of first hand experience, I’ll absolutely be taking your advise and arranging to get on the RYA course. I’m also fortunate to have a friend that has just purchased a Rib himself and currently planning some days out (providing practical to social distance of course) and with that experience I’m hoping it will just reinforce my motivation to get involved in boating life. Thank you again for taking the time to message.
Old 03 August 2020, 22:50   #10

Ah okay, perfect! Will give them a call

Thank you
Old 04 August 2020, 05:02   #11

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
Personally I’d follow the previous advice about PB2 courses then go for a 5.5m plus and the biggest engine that you can afford, 150hp or upwards otherwise you’ll buy something smaller and be looking to trade up within a season. We started on a 6.5 with a large engine and we’ve still got it five years later. Just take your time looking before you buy. The more ribs that you can go on the better, just don’t rush into the purchase.
Old 04 August 2020, 11:21   #12

Running/servicing costs can be very variable, depending on what you do yourself, what boatyard you use, engine condition, etc. And obviously storage costs are potentially the biggest variable, depending on whether you store at home, dry stack, marina, swinging mooring, etc.

If you're planning to keep it in the water full time and want it anti-fouled, to have a boat "professionally" anti-fouled on the South Coast, you're generally talking somewhere around £50/metre, including labour/materials. If you do it yourself, can be quite a bit of labour to do properly, and there's a huge variety of paints from cheap to expensive!

I do all my own general servicing myself, but depending on what engine you buy, a standard annual service on a 150hp outboard you're probably talking £250-400. If it needs any work beyond the standard servicing, that is obviously extra, and can quickly add up!

If you do use a swinging mooring, yes they can be quite a bit cheaper, but then you might need to use your existing dinghy or another boat as a tender to get to it (unless a decent launch service is provided by the operator, I'd assume not with a Crown mooring), which can be a bit of a faff. And in some locations (e.g. Poole Harbour), moorings are only available April-October, and for winter boats have to be in a marina or ashore, at extra cost.
Old 04 August 2020, 13:31   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMrMojoRisin View Post
I have been on the RYA website and now know exactly where they carry out the course in the local area! (there are quite a few to choose from which surprised me) so will get myself booked on as soon as I can. Great to know that they generally use 5 to 6 meters to do the training too. If you don’t mind me asking, what size do you have?
In theory all RYA schools are teaching to the same standard, but their is quite a bit of variability in what and how they do it. Shop around - experiences differ. In your shoes I'd be looking to find a school that use a few different sized boats for their courses to give you a feel for how big you really want to go. I'd also make sure that the type of sailing they actually do is similar to you want to do - often the cheapest PB2 courses are run by sailings schools/outdoor centres who mostly do rescue boat type work. Likely to be very good at keeping boats in exactly the same place against wind/tide, but *potentially* less experienced at planning a day out 30 miles away.

What age are the kids? If old enough they can do some training too. If not old enough - beware that jockey type seats are not ideal for little legs. A big SIB (or FRIB) might be better for smaller family adventures, which will have a very different cost profile... but in that case you want at least some of your PB2 training to be in tiller steered boats.
Old 04 August 2020, 21:49   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Considering buying a Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
In theory all RYA schools are teaching to the same standard, but their is quite a bit of variability in what and how they do it. Shop around - experiences differ. In your shoes I'd be looking to find a school that use a few different sized boats for their courses to give you a feel for how big you really want to go. I'd also make sure that the type of sailing they actually do is similar to you want to do - often the cheapest PB2 courses are run by sailings schools/outdoor centres who mostly do rescue boat type work. Likely to be very good at keeping boats in exactly the same place against wind/tide, but *potentially* less experienced at planning a day out 30 miles away.

What age are the kids? If old enough they can do some training too. If not old enough - beware that jockey type seats are not ideal for little legs. A big SIB (or FRIB) might be better for smaller family adventures, which will have a very different cost profile... but in that case you want at least some of your PB2 training to be in tiller steered boats.

Wasn’t there a Ribnobbur on here recently, that claimed to have done his PB2 in a day?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2020, 22:12   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Wasn’t there a Ribnobbur on here recently that claimed to have done his PB2 in a day?
Oh, I must have missed that. Suspect no school is stupid enough to make that a "thing" - it will get back to the RYA eventually and then you are going to risk your centre accreditation. Not impossible, but suspect one, or a combination of:

- Ribnobbur talking crap
- He didn't actually do a PB2 but an ICC direct assessment
- It was a PB1 not a PB2
- It was a PB2 following on from a previous PB1 (I think that is still supposed to be 2 days?)
- It was 2 days over consecutive weekends
- It wasn't done in the sea and missed out all the coastal stuff (should still be 2 days)
- He got told not to come back for day 2 because of something he said or did!

There's actually a heck of a lot to fit in 2 days if someone is new to serious boating. I can't really see how you could cut it down without missing out some major elements.

Tags
rib