Old 28 August 2018, 21:15   #81

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'll put a slightly left field one / type / style in the mix.

Halmatic Pacific 24 Rib. for sale, 1994, EB3216 - Boats.co.uk.
Old 28 August 2018, 21:34   #82

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
see xs are offering their 7metre/225 2018 boat show ex demo @£49,995,appears down from £59995 on their website https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401582613614
Old 29 August 2018, 06:46   #83

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
https://www.cobraribs.co.uk/product/2014-nautique-7-6m/
This would get my vote
Old 29 August 2018, 06:51   #84

Town: Glendale
Boat name: TBA
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Really helpful

Thanks again for all your input. I'll go through each of the boat suggestions you given me. Thanks to Last Tango too, that's a good idea to avoid the need for AF. I like the XS offer too. All worth a look. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
Cheers Maxwell.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:02   #85

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
This is my favourite kind of thread! The "imagine spending someone else's money" thread.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:23   #86

Town: Glendale
Boat name: TBA
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Good one. Lol

Now, what would be your One suggestion if it was your own £35-£45k ??
Old 29 August 2018, 08:21   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSegal View Post
Good one. Lol

Now, what would be your One suggestion if it was your own £35-£45k ??
Weeeell... if it was my money AND I was using it as you are?

I'd want a Redbay 7.4 wraparound, or mebbe an 8.4. Or even better an 8.4 expedition. Preferably a diesel inboard. I'd launch once per visit and keep it on a trailerthe rest of the time to avoid anti foul.

But to get that in budget I'd have to wait a long time and might have to settle for something fairly elderly. Patience isn't my strong suit, so I'd probably end up buying something second hand. At this stage of the season I wouldn't be in a tearing hurry though I'd be keep to get sea trials where possible before the weather got too shit.

Of the things offered here: the Island rib is nice lookin and has sussies and a nice high bow. I'd be worried it might be underpowered, so I'd definitely want a trial.

Cobra is nice, if slightly OB. But in my opinion doesn't feel like a West Highland boat (sun pad!?[emoji6] ).

The big Ribquest in Christchurch looks good and at that vintage is probably a Dave Rose boat. It has been listed for a while so they might conceivably take an offer.

Ospreys have a great reputation among the cognoscenti but as has been previously mentioned never seem to have made the jump to being a popular quality brand. They seem imo to be speed/performance focussed so if that's your thing they mebbe worth a look. It might be worth seeing what Rocknrolla is going for: it's a well found boat with a brand new engine, a familiar sight to anyone who boats round Anglesey (usually disappearing off in a cloud of spray at 40+knots!). Also very well looked after.
Old 29 August 2018, 08:29   #88

The Halmatic looks like a potential money pit. A 25 year old ex commercial, with a jet drive? Only if I had a big dry barn and plenty of spanners.

XS, if you could stretch to it, would undoubtably be a capable boat. They seem well built and the one I did my PB2 in seemed to be standing up well to school life. They aren't as 'nice' on finish as some though, nothings going to fall off, but the one we looked at at the boat show seemed a bit rough round the edges. And if I was spending my own 45k I thinkn I'd want it to feel a bit more 'special'. I might feel differently if I could sea trial it though.
Old 29 August 2018, 09:02   #89

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
There was a 7m Osprey for sale here - not related to me but a serious piece of kit and with the ETEC 250 H.O. fun is guaranteed.
I use the same boat just with an G2 for long distance offshore cruising and in all conditions I been in it is more capable than I am .
When it gets really rough I cannot keep the same speed than the Scorpions in our group but they are playing already in another league and for me to drop the speed in such conditions by 3-4 knots does not hurt .
Old 29 August 2018, 09:04   #90

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Maxwell, seeing as you're in Harrogate, why not have a run out to Kraken in Hull. They are newcomers to the market but have "heritage". They could potentially offer you a good deal as they are keen to get "out there". Not seen their boats in the flesh, but they look good from the photos. Worth a day out.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 09:52   #91

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Maxwell, seeing as you're in Harrogate, why not have a run out to Kraken in Hull. They are newcomers to the market but have "heritage". They could potentially offer you a good deal as they are keen to get "out there". Not seen their boats in the flesh, but they look good from the photos. Worth a day out.
I didn't think they'd built anything over 5.8m yet...?

Doesn't mean they can't /won't.
Old 29 August 2018, 10:41   #92

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
the a frame on the demo did look pretty hideous
Old 29 August 2018, 11:30   #93

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
the a frame on the demo did look pretty hideous

Agreed, but then they also produced a stainless one which looked ok.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 13:08   #94

If you want local:
http://www.ribworld.co.uk/shop/ribs_...pro_63m%7C1598

Proven hull. Engine the right size. Built for show so hopefully they'll have taken care with the finish. Well engined.

Beware the small print: the advertised price doesn't include the sussies in the pic. Or a trailer.
Old 29 August 2018, 13:20   #95

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
If you want local:
Humber Ocean Pro 6.3m

Proven hull. Engine the right size. Built for show so hopefully they'll have taken care with the finish. Well engined.

Beware the small print: the advertised price doesn't include the sussies in the pic. Or a trailer.
yes diseptive no ulmans
Old 02 September 2018, 17:06   #96

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
see xs are offering their 7metre/225 2018 boat show ex demo @£49,995,appears down from £59995 on their website https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401582613614
starting to look good value now ,seems to have dropped another 10 K
Old 02 September 2018, 18:17   #97

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Capable offshore RIBs?

We’ve run a Humber ocean Pro 6.3 for 9yrs and been round Anglesey on many occasions with over 25 boats from around the country, it’s been interesting to see them all in different seas!

For up in Scotland I’d echo the need for a deep V hull and IMHO a 2nd hand Redbay/Ribcraft/Osprey would be my choice. That Osprey for sale looks almost perfect for you and I’d disagree with them not being built for rough weather, I’ve seen the 7m Vipermax hull race a Stingher which was 8m or more in rough seas for many miles and it left it - though the helm may also be responsible for that!

For reference, the Humber “Ocean Pro” hull is a very tried and tested hull by many expeditions and we love it too, for a 6.3 it’s rough weather performance is up with the other too boats I’d say. The tubes are low so they’re also very stable, and with the high sheer bow, it’s a rough weather boat, a la Redbays, they’re not built for speed like a Revenger- however when up against an RC 6.8m or Osprey 7m in a rough sea, we’re often left for dead. That extra 0.5m in length translates in to a much bigger boat!

Interestingly I’ve read people state the Ocean Pro hull as a 6.5m isn’t as good as the 6.3m (read a previous post backing up the theory that extending a hull design doesn’t always work) You really need to read and experience more before diving in, it’s not like buying a car!!!!

Humber fit out isn’t quite as good as the aforementioned, but then they’re not as expensive.

Also, if you value your boat, don’t leave it on a mooring when you’re not there. The sea will basically eat it. We do it every year from March to October and everything that’s perishable like tubes and seats is battered. We choose to do it for our own reasons and accept the cost each winter replacing stuff. We retubed after only 8yrs and that was with lots of annual TLC, drystacked boats could last 20 or more if looked after, with minimal stuff being replaced.

Ideally you should launch and put on mooring for when you’re there, then recover when not.

Enjoy the search and get it right!! You cant sell it on as easy as a car either! That said, a desirable model/brand will likely be easier...
Old 02 September 2018, 19:28   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
That Osprey for sale looks almost perfect for you and I’d disagree with them not being built for rough weather,
Without wishing to start a punch-up (God knows it's easy enough to do on here), and assuming this is a reference to what I said about Ospreys; I don't think I said, and I certainly didn't mean, that they aren't "built for rough weather". What I said was that "They seem imo to be speed/performance focussed". They tend to come with a lot of engine and from what i remember the website stresses their racing pedigree. And what i think i was getting at was that despite being (arguably) a less widely know brand, if speed and performance is your thing then they are something you should be looking at. The two that run out of Ty Calch certainly don't hang around regardless of what the weather's doing.
Old 02 September 2018, 19:47   #99

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Capable offshore RIBs?

[emoji1303]

I’d have an Osprey Vipermax if I was in his position - that one for sale looks lovely. Rocknrolla is nicer - but more £££
Old 02 September 2018, 20:51   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
starting to look good value now ,seems to have dropped another 10 K
That's start8ng to look a bit like a bargain.

Tags
rib