Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Working link!

Sorry that link may be badly formed. Try this please
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...r-sport/197916
Old 27 August 2018, 09:03   #42

Length: 3m +
Your link is fine. The forum just shortens the middle on screen.

I'm no fan of the sports boat look... teak (effect) decks on a RIB are daft in my opinion. BUT - its not the teak decks that affect performance. It will be the hull + engine. I'm not sure when they changed hands so not sure what it means in terms of who built it.

It does look very well presented. I'm slightly wondering how that will look in say 2 years having been swinging on a mooring in pretty harsh environments. I'd guess that boat has been stored at least under a cover, or perhaps in a shed. I could be wrong.

I suspect the boat is perfectly capable of what you want. It is CERTAINLY capable of the conditions you described but so would a 4m RIB be!

Be interested to see what folk think of the engine size...
Old 27 August 2018, 09:04   #43

Oh - and 300litre fuel tank... - you said you had access to fuel - but how were you planning to put 300litres on it?
Old 27 August 2018, 09:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Oh - and 300litre fuel tank... - you said you had access to fuel - but how were you planning to put 300litres on it?
In all likelihood he will use 100 litres of fuel on a reasonable day out, maybe 150 if a long one.

Taking 4x 30 litre fuel cans isn't a big deal if your dinghy is of reasonable size and is part of the game if leaving on a mooring, although I wouldn't leave it on a mooring if decent slip available, but another topic.

250hp is fine on a 7.3.

We should also say that boats and outboards is scamers paradise so be careful!!!!!
Old 27 August 2018, 09:45   #45

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
& Ribcraft?

Also, Ribquest ain't what they used to be. The Ribquest name was bought by an outfit down south. Dave Rose is no longer involved & he was the main driving force behind Ribquest in its heyday. You need to judge them on their current output (of which I've no knowledge so can't comment) not on their historical reputation.

I'm also slightly surprised that you hadn't heard of Osprey. You're about to shell out a sizeable chunk of money, & you aren't aware of one of the significant UK players. Slow down, don't rush.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, £45k will just about buy you a newbuild, but it will be a basic spec. You may well get a better boat for your money buying used.

Just sayin[emoji106]
From my recent research ( which is by no means exhaustive); 45 will get you a brand new Redbay 6.1 with a decent sized engine. It won't stretch to a 6.5.

The smallest thing RQ do these days is the Supersport 650 (despite what their website claims) and 45 won't cut it.

45 will get you a good second hand setup, Redbay sold a nice 7.4 just recently. But you'll need to be patient.
Old 27 August 2018, 09:53   #46

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
In all likelihood he will use 100 litres of fuel on a reasonable day out, maybe 150 if a long one.

Taking 4x 30 litre fuel cans isn't a big deal if your dinghy is of reasonable size .................................................. ............
We should also say that boats and outboards is scamers paradise so be careful!!!!!
Jerry cans are normally only 20ltr so that could mean eight of them to re-fuel after a day out. That's a fair time bobbing about at a mooring with a jiggle pump and probably a couple of trips to the shore with the dingy.

and yes...be very careful with "Boats and Outboards"
Old 27 August 2018, 10:14   #47

I never said jerry cans, don't like them personally

I use 30 litre outboard fuel cans when boat is in marina to fill up.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...xoCBL4QAvD_BwE

I use a pair of either jiggles or outboard fuel hoses, whilst I have never timed emptying one it is minutes for 30 litres from fuel can. I can put 100 litres in my boat with this method in about maybe 10-15 mins. Most time is spent changing cans, I hold them on stainless steel grab rail above window to get good flow.

If the boat is on a mooring then needs must, although I wouldn't keep a rib this size on a mooring if there was a decent slipway and storage available as mentioned.
Old 27 August 2018, 10:39   #48

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Hiya Max ! It's been said several times already , but I think you are in far too much of a rush ! Apart from being lucky enough to bag the " right boat " first time , I think there is a real risk to life and limb here ...... By your own admission you are a newbie ( nothing wrong in that , we were all newbies once ! ) . At least you seem prepared to listen to advice and there is much of that to be had here ( not necessarily this post )

I think you should get yourself at least another season of as much experience as you can beg , borrow or steal before you jump into such a major purchase . Do an advanced PB course with a bit of night-time helming . Days can be short up there and if you were forced to take shelter , it would be easy to run into dusk/poor visibility conditions You live in an absolutely fantastic part of the world for boating ( but I had my most frightening boating experience ever of the west coast of Skye , when the weather blew up from borderline to gusting force 8 , and my sub 6 metre rib was lifting off the crests of a head sea in the unbelievable wind ).....perhaps that is what is colouring this post ? You mention wind limits of 15 mph , but I wouldn't mind betting that is the average wind speed on open water in your neck of the woods and the sea doesn't immediately flatten when the wind eases . Add to that wind over tide scenarios and I wonder exactly how many days a year you would enjoy being out ?
I reckon if you purchased a six metre plus rib , in no time at all you would tire of a sixty mile cruising limit and be fed up with the inconvenience of refuelling petrol on a mooring ? Unless there is really good reason not to.....diesel has to be the way to go ? The whole issue of anti-fouling is a also a serious consideration . Anyway , that's my 2d worth and I really do wish you all the best . Stay safe ! Bern
Old 27 August 2018, 10:43   #49

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The whole fuel issue would push me towards a diesel.
Ok it would have to be a used one but at least you'd be filling up at a pump and not humping potentialy 100's of kgs of fuel out to a mooring
Old 27 August 2018, 11:39   #50

There is a pier at Menish so I guess you bring the boat in off the mooring and fuel at the pier. You can get the car pretty close. But it's still a lot of Jerry cans!

No Diesel in Menish that's for sure! But is there any on the W Coast of Skye?
Old 27 August 2018, 11:45   #51

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Just a point of interest....

http://theskyetimes.co.uk/index.php/...-loch-pooltiel

Old 27 August 2018, 14:13   #52
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You can get the car pretty close. But it's still a lot of Jerry cans!
I handball diesel in 25L drums to the willkcraft - often by tender. By and large it works out just fine. It certainly makes one consider fuelling opportunities. I keep the tank almost full which is 11 hours of cruise speed. I tend to bring 100L to the boat every visit and it sort of averages out. Every few trips I may have to up the game a bit and drop in 200l via pontoon delivery. So long as there is a tame petrol supplier on Skye it will be fine.
Old 27 August 2018, 14:27   #53

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSegal View Post
Sorry that link may be badly formed. Try this please

More than capable RIB for use you have described, more important is if you are capable for it !
Old 27 August 2018, 15:47   #54
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSegal View Post
From all the comments, I'm picking up that a used boat will give me the 7m I need plus a reasonable spec. I'll just throw this RIB in then for your comments - the main question is whether this boat is a proper capable offshore boat for Skye or just a sports boat. I'd welcome your comments. It's not that I'm near to buying it bevsusr I'm going to follow up all your valuable points but it seems a good boat for the price.

Cheers
That looks like a rather nicely finished RIBquest. Those four suspension seats will have added something like £8k to the purchase price. On one hand - you are getting a more comfortable, higher specced product - on the other you said you didn't need them so are you paying over the odds for the hull? Whilst folks are right to flag B&O for its bargain scams (which can then screw up your expectations of what true values are) - that looks to be a broker so is probably genuine.

All of the brands you mention are sensible. Osprey seem to fluctuate in terms of marketing awareness - they've never quite made it in the "big boys" club of some of the others you mentioned, but the boats are highly regarded by those who have used them.

Not everyone is a Humber fan on here, but I'd say they should be on your list. They do make some lower budget boats, but for your use that may not matter. Finishing details can let them down - but some of the really shoddy ones were supplied as bare hulls and rigged by local dealers or owners. Humbers have covered serious offshore passages, and come in a (confusing) range of sizes. if you want the kind of flashy style in that RIBquest then Humber offer that too (for a premium!).

I do think in your case the argument for diesel is not to be sniffed at. Actually decanting the jerry cans is only part of the hassle, you need to buy it (whilst petrol stations in remote places are less likely to be an issue - it will be a lot further to go if they take as issue with enforcing the terms of their license), transporting it (not everyone enjoys the smell of fuel dribbles in their car), storing it if you won't use it immediately (really it shouldn't be stored at 'home' - but opening hours might make it useful to do so). Other than the upfront cost headache - your issue with Diesel will be there are so few second hand reasonably tidy diesels on the market that your options will be somewhat limited. One brand you've not mentioned, which does sometimes come up with tidy diesels, is Scorpion - again a well respected option.
Old 27 August 2018, 16:20   #55

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79345 Nice looking rib. Not a road smoker but big enough and nice and new. There's a Cobra in the for sale section that's in budget with enough change for a fair amount of remedial work.
Old 27 August 2018, 16:21   #56

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
& Ribcraft?

Also, Ribquest ain't what they used to be. The Ribquest name was bought by an outfit down south. Dave Rose is no longer involved & he was the main driving force behind Ribquest in its heyday. You need to judge them on their current output (of which I've no knowledge so can't comment) not on their historical reputation.

I'm also slightly surprised that you hadn't heard of Osprey. You're about to shell out a sizeable chunk of money, & you aren't aware of one of the significant UK players. Slow down, don't rush.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, £45k will just about buy you a newbuild, but it will be a basic spec. You may well get a better boat for your money buying used.

Just sayin[emoji106]
I know Dave rose very well ribquest won't be the same for definite IMO
Old 28 August 2018, 05:17   #57

Town: Glendale
Boat name: TBA
Meanish Pier and fuel etc.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here answering my questions and providing such valuable advice. I'm not rushing into a purchase, rest assured, but I do like to gather my information quickly so be assured I'll be taking my time, fully understanding my boating limitations and and knowledge.

Regarding fuel type I still think I'm OK with outboard and I'm fine for lugging fuel; a price of not having a marina!

Regarding Meanish Pier, some of you will know there is a new pontoon their, provided by the local Trout farm so it's really convenient to moor in the bay, go get the RIB and moor on the pontoon. This helps my wife easily get on the boat and we can fill the fuel tank up from there. I've an old Defender so can transport jerry cans and using that - hopefully that's the plan.

Interesting points made by you all concerning boat length for it seems that whether it's 6.5 / 7m will make little sea going difference, and it's possibly cut down on fuel consumption, and the price of the boat. Taking that on board I'm also considering 6.5/6.8m lengths too. I think that's in keeping with all your advice.

I think my main area of complete inadequacy is knowing whether one boat manufacture / design over another gives me the offshore capability I need.

We live in Harrogate, so taking a trip down south to view a used boat is a big trip (almost as far as Skye!!) but I'll need to have a good idea that's it's a viable boat before I go see it. Best bet for me will be to have a list of a few to see, but my main concern is knowing if they rte good boats for my Skye needs.

From all that's been written by all of you I'd say my list of capable boats is:

Redbay
Ribquest
Scorpion
XS
Osprey
Parker
Island
Highfield
Humber

Taking into account all of your comments I hope that's the right list. There are many other names I've seen in my investigations but have discounted them early on since I think they fall into the category of "inshore" boats I think. For example, Brig, Zodiac, Zar etc. etc....

I want too buy British/Irish as I think you've all been mentioning.

Anyway, thanks once again. Some of you have written really interesting posts and I have absolutely taken on board everything you've been saying and it's been very helpful indeed. Any further information gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Maxwell
Old 28 August 2018, 06:08   #58

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I think you are certainly doing your homework regarding your purchase. Can’t fault any of your personal conclusions except I cannot understand why Ribcraft is not on your list.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 06:11   #59

Town: Glendale
Boat name: TBA
Ribcraft!

Thanks Jambo. The only reason is that I missed it off! It's now on. :-)
Maxwell
Old 28 August 2018, 06:26   #60

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
for the west coast I would have a look at the highfield harbour master they do a 6.4m plenty of shelter for when it starts to piss down

Tags
rib