Old 26 August 2018, 11:45   #21

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSegal View Post

....Last Tango, where are you based? Would be great to meet up if you're nearby, to hear more about your boat and trips etc.

Maxwell
PM sent
Old 26 August 2018, 11:57   #22

Length: 3m +
Is RedBay on your list?
Old 26 August 2018, 11:58   #23

Where are you planning to launch?
Old 26 August 2018, 12:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Is RedBay on your list?
Last I heard their order book was pretty much "rammed" for the the next "god knows how long". Things might have changed but worth a call.
Old 26 August 2018, 12:22   #25

45k may struggle to buy a new "good" boat at 7m ish so new maybe out of the question anyway.

If redbay are busy then I assume the others are no different so need to get a price and get in the queue.

I can tell you your your max budget wouldn't have bought my 6.8 ribcraft on a trailer in 2012....prices no doubt have went up too.
Old 26 August 2018, 13:16   #26

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
As always ...
Do some trials,jump aboards,different boats and layouts ,ask people locally who's judgment you trust,buy from a British and Irish maker go as large as you are comfortable with regarding towing maintaing and running costs(they're all small on the Briney when it blows up!) .....and when you know...(and not till then!!) what suits YOU and your needs get the best lowest hours best looked after example you can afford

Or....altertivly wait(and it may take a while!) for everyone one on here to extole the virtues of thier own RIBs and choices ...,and sift through the arguments that ensue

Oh By the way The RC 6.8 is a pretty decent Craft!
I'd say you're budget is pretty healthy too..if you like pm me and I'll expand.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 13:35   #27

Town: Glendale
Boat name: TBA
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Launch site and manufacturers

Hi everyone,
Yes, Redbay is on my list and I'll be launching from Menish Pier in Upper Miloviag on Skye. I plan to keep the boat moored in the bay there (I've already got a morning organised), so will only have it out of the water infrequently and during the middle of winter. Our house is nearby (500m) so transporting it back to the house is easy.

Cheers,
Maxwell
Old 26 August 2018, 15:10   #28

It's a pretty ideal spot in my opinion.

I've stayed there myself, probably 250m from the slip... If someone could invent a teleportation machine Id go back in a shot... But Jesus it's a long old drive!

Will the slip cope with launching something that big? I had a tiny <3m SIB so wasn't too fussed about the slip... Don't think I saw anyone launch anything more than about 4m there the whole week

The tow to bring it there in the first place on single track roads should be a real treat ;-)

Other manufacturer for the list: Osprey?
Old 26 August 2018, 15:38   #29

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Bear in mind that Skye is small and a rib is fast (relatively speaking), you'll soon outgrow Skye and want to go further afield. Bigger is always better in seakeeping terms. Though you say you'll only be boating in moderate weather, you can't know what you'll find locally and weather in that area can and will change quickly and dramatically. You said you want a rib that is fully offshore capable, keep that in mind each time you consider each alternative boat during your search.

Be aware also that the west side of Skye is fully open to the south westerly weather and is frequently subject to big seas, these waves go ashore then swish out to sea again and adversely affect the sea conditions for several miles offshore. It's not a place to get caught out and/or disabled so you might like to consider a twin engine rig in your search.

On a practical note, since you're going to leave your nice new boat on a mooring all season, it will need antifouling if you are to keep the hull free of marine growth.

Good luck with your search.
Old 26 August 2018, 16:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
It's not a place to get caught out and/or disabled so you might like to consider a twin engine rig in your search.
Or at very least a powerful enough Aux to get you to a place of safety of which there isn't many off there...

Quote:
On a practical note, since you're going to leave your nice new boat on a mooring all season, it will need antifouling if you are to keep the hull free of marine growth.
The hull won't be a major headache you just need to decide if you use a paint or copper coat it.

The challenge may be the tubes - some ribs sit with tubes on the water, others with them above the water. You can't really AF tubes, so with a blank canvas I'd want tubes above the water for a mooring...
Old 26 August 2018, 16:29   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
It's a pretty ideal spot in my opinion.

Will the slip cope with launching something that big? I had a tiny <3m SIB so wasn't too fussed about the slip... Don't think I saw anyone launch anything more than about 4m there the whole week

The tow to bring it there in the first place on single track roads should be a real treat ;-)

Other manufacturer for the list: Osprey?
I launched the 5.2 Seapro I had there with an old C class Merc. without any problems (bar the tide, the end of that slip's a killer !). Would launch what I have now without a second thought........bigger ?? I'd have to revisit and take another look, probably ok but Stein's not that far away and if it's "seasonal" not too big an issue.
Old 26 August 2018, 16:48   #32

It can be rough but in the summer more often than not it's fine....... sorry about the 90 degree rotate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	126556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	126557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0849.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	126558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0880.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	126559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0924.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	126560  

Old 26 August 2018, 17:17   #33

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Capable offshore RIBs?

You don't have to go to 7m to do what you want to do. We "did" Skye, crossed the Minch, traversed the sound of Harris & went to St Kilda in our RC545 with 4 pax, admittedly cost & for 6 pax I'd want a bigger boat. The Redbay 6.5 is a VERY capable boat & would be high on my list. You have a healthy budget & you should get a very nice low hours used outfit.
That said, most boats in the 6-7m range will handle more than you can.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 18:34   #34

Town: Holywood
Make: Tornado
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 75
Maxwell, is go for something that will be capable well in excess of the winds you’re happy with. 15 knots can turn into 25 knots very quickly and you’ll want to get home. 15 will be more of an average I’d say. A lot of discussion around XS ribs. Very good and very capable. My friend has a 7.5m with 300hp on the back. Don’t knock other types. The most common you’ll see up the West Coast is a Redbay. Either open, wrap around console or fully enclosed. They are built for the Irish Sea and well worth the money. You’ll buy used within your budget. Contact Tom at Redbay in Cushendall, NI for a chat. Michael
Old 26 August 2018, 18:59   #35

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

Or....altertivly wait(and it may take a while!) for everyone one on here to extole the virtues of thier own RIBs and choices .
Did I actually just read that?
Old 26 August 2018, 20:27   #36

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Did I actually just read that?
Well?...Read maybe....
comprehend???...Now.... that's a whole different Ball Game eh Molley

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 05:45   #37

More valuable guidance

Thanks to everyone for such valuable guidance and advice. All your points are really helpful. Regards the Menish Pier I did recently see a 7 ish Meyer RIB launch there and I think it'll be OK. The anti fouling points are very useful and something I was not familiar with. Also, re Osprey!, not come across them but I'll take a look too, thanks.

The points made about the sea rapidly changing are well made too. I've seen that from our house many times!! I'll need some good weather knowledge and predictions.

My take from all of our exchanges is that I do really want a 7m boat, with maybe 6.5/6.8m bring OK. I'll stick with outboard and indeed plan to have an auxiliary motor too just in case. I've asked Redbay for a quote and already have quoted from XS, Humber and Ribquest.

Thanks everyone
Maxwell
Old 27 August 2018, 06:01   #38

Also thanks to Michael for advice and I'll contact Redbay on Tuesday. Lovely photos Last Tango, I think I went in the cave when I went out in my mate's boat a few weeks ago. It's such a fabulous island. Also thanks to Pikey Dave. I'll take all your feedback and guidance onboard. And I'll keep you posted on progress.

I've already got some quotes and specifications for 6.5 and 7m RIBs and I'll get something from Redbay and let you know. See what you think Cheers.
Old 27 August 2018, 07:02   #39

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSegal View Post
..... XS, Humber and Ribquest.

& Ribcraft?

Also, Ribquest ain't what they used to be. The Ribquest name was bought by an outfit down south. Dave Rose is no longer involved & he was the main driving force behind Ribquest in its heyday. You need to judge them on their current output (of which I've no knowledge so can't comment) not on their historical reputation.

I'm also slightly surprised that you hadn't heard of Osprey. You're about to shell out a sizeable chunk of money, & you aren't aware of one of the significant UK players. Slow down, don't rush.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, £45k will just about buy you a newbuild, but it will be a basic spec. You may well get a better boat for your money buying used.

Just sayin[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 08:14   #40

What about this then...?

From all the comments, I'm picking up that a used boat will give me the 7m I need plus a reasonable spec. I'll just throw this RIB in then for your comments - the main question is whether this boat is a proper capable offshore boat for Skye or just a sports boat. I'd welcome your comments. It's not that I'm near to buying it bevsusr I'm going to follow up all your valuable points but it seems a good boat for the price.

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...r-sport/197916

Cheers

Tags
rib