Old 09 May 2021, 12:50   #1

Town: Saskatoon
Boat name: spitfire
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 15hp
Best way applying boat license on my rib

Just bought a 1991 lightly used and cared for 4.0 Avon spitfire from a family member. Excited to set it up but I am looking at best way to display the registration or license numbers. He had a plastic board of some sort to display boat registration number but it is broken and needs replacing or numbers set onto the bow.
I was thinking about painting them on because from what I see stick on's wont stay when deflating the boat.. My boat is hypalon so it seems that may play as a factor, I don't know.
Is there a paint to use to paint on numbers, a better stencil type/brand, or is there a stick on stencil system that doesn't come off when boat is deflated and reinflated. I'm really new to this and my boat is still in it 2 bags.
Any tips I am open to.
Regards, Alsgontrvln
Old 09 May 2021, 12:55   #2

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Can you stick them on the transom?
Old 09 May 2021, 14:46   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Can you stick them on the transom?

As the OP says “set onto bow” I assume not. Most places that require registration numbers need them displayed to be visible both sides.

IMHO painting is probably the most permanent Option (you get specific rubber paint) but it’s likely to crack when folded a lot and leave a permanent mark that devalues the boat so I would consider alternatives

Stick on numbers will work at least for a while. As with sticking anything surface prep will make a big difference. Will potentially still cause permanent damage.

Common approach on Loch Lomond is a board that is just tied on. They often bounce around and end up invisible - but rangers don’t seem too bothered.

A better approach may be to fit some straps to the boat (the sort used to hold oars in place? Or just some extra d rings? Or industrial velcro?) and attach the board to them - anyone buying the boat who also needs to display numbers would see it as a bonus whilst they wouldn’t detract for those who don’t need them.
Old 10 May 2021, 02:50   #4

Wondering if anyone had a picture, exampling the best way they found for displaying #

My experience with my new to me RIB is almost none.
If anyone knows what works best for material to put these numbers on and mounting or hanging on my boat to display,taking on the elements they must endure; A picture and description of your best way would be appreciated.
I know there may be more than one good practice to display these numbers on my boat. What's your example, I'd like to see and hear from anyone that has dealt with this issue. Different ideas are welcome
Thank you in advance, your feedback is very appreciated,
Alsgontrvln, Ehh !
Old 10 May 2021, 06:36   #5

Length: 3m +
Various places will produce stickers for hyperlon and they last well so long as you prep the area and for them properly.

I've used one called funky monkey boat names and it all seemed idiot proof from start to finish.

In the olden days before we became obsessed with hurling cash at everything we would have just painted them on and be done with it. Whatever tin of oil based paint was sitting on the shelf.

I think that I would consider a strip of gaffer/duct tape and best hand writing with a permanent marker for a licence number. Two seconds to replace when kaput, as close to zero expense and least likely to leave any trace when the time comes to remove.
Old 10 May 2021, 11:22   #6

Tape and best writing 👍🏻

Hey never would have thought of that this early in the game.
Much appreciated . Thank you
Old 10 May 2021, 16:54   #7

Town: Weston-super-Mare
Boat name: Lemaura
Make: Jets Marivent
Engine: Evinrude etec 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsgontrvln View Post
Just bought a 1991 lightly used and cared for 4.0 Avon spitfire from a family member. Excited to set it up but I am looking at best way to display the registration or license numbers. He had a plastic board of some sort to display boat registration number but it is broken and needs replacing or numbers set onto the bow.
I was thinking about painting them on because from what I see stick on's wont stay when deflating the boat.. My boat is hypalon so it seems that may play as a factor, I don't know.
Is there a paint to use to paint on numbers, a better stencil type/brand, or is there a stick on stencil system that doesn't come off when boat is deflated and reinflated. I'm really new to this and my boat is still in it 2 bags.
Any tips I am open to.
Regards, Alsgontrvln
I run a sign business in the UK but I am sure the same applies over the water - I can cut a self adhesive vinyl designed for applying to PVC banner material. I am pretty sure the same vinyl would stick to your hypalon tubes. You could ask your local sign makers about using Oracal 451 vinyl.
Old 10 May 2021, 17:03   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Various places will produce stickers for hyperlon and they last well so long as you prep the area and for them properly.

I've used one called funky monkey boat names and it all seemed idiot proof from start to finish.

In the olden days before we became obsessed with hurling cash at everything we would have just painted them on and be done with it. Whatever tin of oil based paint was sitting on the shelf.

I think that I would consider a strip of gaffer/duct tape and best hand writing with a permanent marker for a licence number. Two seconds to replace when kaput, as close to zero expense and least likely to leave any trace when the time comes to remove.

I tried the Funky Monkey approach for my SIB, despite meticulous prep & application, they lasted 1 outing before they started to peel. I got a quote off a trade member on here for a price for some proper laser cut Hypalon patches, after I’d picked myself up off the floor & stopped laughing, I went to Dave Cowal at North West RIBs. He made me 2 top quality patches for sensible money.
In answer to the OP, I’d avoid any kind of permanent solution for a temporary problem. Go for the tied on boards.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 22:26   #9

Thanks

May go with the board.
I liked the idea of tape and writing my numbers on it is inexpensive and easy to replace.
There's one brand saying it is waterproof & may hold up. with a paint or felt marker. Do you have your friends contact info possibly for those numbers ?
Thank you, for your input
Old 11 May 2021, 09:30   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsgontrvln View Post
May go with the board.

I liked the idea of tape and writing my numbers on it is inexpensive and easy to replace.

There's one brand saying it is waterproof & may hold up. with a paint or felt marker. Do you have your friends contact info possibly for those numbers ?

Thank you, for your input

White gorilla tape and a marker pen?
Old 12 May 2021, 13:42   #11

Do you have a link ?
Old 12 May 2021, 15:42   #12

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS