Old 23 July 2022, 07:18   #1

Town: Chipping Norton
Boat name: Codangle
Make: Zodiac Aero 350
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 6hp
Taking a Sib to Majorca

We are driving my Zodiac 3.5m (deflated) with Honda 6hp to Majorca for two weeks this summer.
I have , I think worked out the sea access via slipways in Puerto Pollenca
and area and the no go beaches and bouyd boat access routes by phoning the Nautical club and tourist information in Pollenca.
However.... everything I can find on regulation is very vague, even on this blog.

Here is my list.
Zodiac 3.5.m 6hp four stroke Honda
4 lifejackets.
flares/signal torch
Signalling mirror
Baling bucket
Oars
Two HH Marine radios. One clipped to boat. One on myself

Registery document for UK (Red ensign ?)
Certificate of ownership
Insurance
UK Radio Licence
All in process of translation to be laminated

We are pottering around Pollenca bay and out to Formentor. 7km max and never more than 1km from shore. Essentially our boat is a swimming platform.

Do I need anything more? Can anyone advise? Please from personal experience. I have lots of guesses and "It will be alright" but I want it from the horses mouth so to speak.

This is a once in a lifetime trip and having had an "experience" as a merchant seaman under General Francos Police I have no wish fall foul of any Spanish Authorities. (Noting that things have changed considerably in Spain since then)

Thank You

Zodiac99
Old 23 July 2022, 09:45   #2

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
In Portugal you also have to carry flares, fire extinguisher, anchor ball and name on the boat. Don’t know if it is the same in Spain.
Old 23 July 2022, 16:45   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Best advice - get out there at 6 to 8 every morning and you will have glass every day - spent 20 odd years water skiing in Pollença bay. It will get choppy later as the sea breezes develop. So boat/ski in the morning, windsurf all afternoon. Happy days.
Old 24 July 2022, 10:58   #4

Hi Thanks for updates

Forgot to say I have an anchor, bouy and signalling mirror.
Thanks for the weather update. Early morning is good for me. Does it settle down late afternoon/eve for the return?

Weather I can deal with, Running foul of Coastguard regs is what worries me.

Zodiac99
Old 24 July 2022, 11:35   #5

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
I have my sib northern Spain besides all you have I have to carry a Fire Extinguisher and first Aid Kit.
Because I am a resident I had to register my sib with Spanish number.
Old 24 July 2022, 13:17   #6

Thanks

We have tiny Fire extinguisher in car and First aid kit in boating bag. Its looking good so far.

Zodiac99
Old 24 July 2022, 13:48   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac99 View Post
Early morning is good for me. Does it settle down late afternoon/eve for the return?

Zodiac99
Yes, typical on-shore sea breezes develop in afternoon switching to off shore in evening.
Old 12 August 2022, 11:53   #8

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac99 View Post
We are driving my Zodiac 3.5m (deflated) with Honda 6hp to Majorca for two weeks this summer.
I have , I think worked out the sea access via slipways in Puerto Pollenca
and area and the no go beaches and bouyd boat access routes by phoning the Nautical club and tourist information in Pollenca.
However.... everything I can find on regulation is very vague, even on this blog.

Here is my list.
Zodiac 3.5.m 6hp four stroke Honda
4 lifejackets.
flares/signal torch
Signalling mirror
Baling bucket
Oars
Two HH Marine radios. One clipped to boat. One on myself

Registery document for UK (Red ensign ?)
Certificate of ownership
Insurance
UK Radio Licence
All in process of translation to be laminated

We are pottering around Pollenca bay and out to Formentor. 7km max and never more than 1km from shore. Essentially our boat is a swimming platform.

Do I need anything more? Can anyone advise? Please from personal experience. I have lots of guesses and "It will be alright" but I want it from the horses mouth so to speak.

This is a once in a lifetime trip and having had an "experience" as a merchant seaman under General Francos Police I have no wish fall foul of any Spanish Authorities. (Noting that things have changed considerably in Spain since then)

Thank You

Zodiac99
BEWARE CUSTOMS SINCE BREXIT ?? POTENTIAL ISSUE

Interestingly, I had a potential issue with French customs on my return from Greece via Calais .... I sent this to the French central customs

We travel each year with a car and 6m inflatable RIB boat on a trailer through France to Greece & when departing UK on 14th June via Eurotunnel, normal passport & customs processes remained. Today on our return your customs officer said we should have had a declaration from the French Douane in the Eurotunnel terminal before leaving the UK to show the Douane on return (the boat is worth c £30000 ) and that without such a document we could be fined or have our boat impounded- but he let us travel in this instance. I cannot find anything online to explain this ,, The boat is our personal item and not used for any commercial use either at home or on holiday. I do carry copies of vat invoices for the boat ( bought 2006), the trailer, outboard motor etc.

This was the very unclear reply (translated)
Hello,
In response to your email, I would like to inform you that you can benefit from the temporary admission of your goods as a private individual.

Certain goods may, depending on their nature or use, benefit from these simplifications (Article 139 CDR):

"Where they are not declared by other means, the goods referred to in Article 136(1)(a) to (d), (h) and (i) shall be deemed to have been declared for temporary admission in accordance with Article 141."

"(a) pallets, containers and means of transport, as well as spare parts, accessories and equipment for such pallets, containers and means of transport, referred to in Articles 208 to 216
(b) personal effects and goods to be used for sporting purposes as referred to in Article 219;
(c) seafarers' welfare equipment used on board a ship engaged in international maritime traffic, as referred to in Article 220(a)
(d) the medical, surgical and laboratory equipment referred to in Article 222;
(h) equipment used in connection with measures taken to combat the effects of disasters or similar situations affecting the customs territory of the Union;
(i) portable musical instruments temporarily imported by travellers and intended for use as professional equipment;"

Individuals may therefore bring in :
- their means of transport by simply crossing the border ;
- their personal effects, their sports equipment (e.g. bicycles for training or competition) or their musical instruments (even if they are for personal and not professional use) by crossing a double "nothing to declare" circuit

With regard to means of transport:

"means of transport" means any ship (including lighter barges and barges, even if carried on board a ship, and hydrofoils), hovercraft, aircraft, motorised road vehicles (including motor cycles, trailers, semi-trailers and combinations of vehicles), and railway rolling stock, as well as their spare parts, accessories and normal equipment on board the means of transport, including special equipment used for loading, unloading, handling and protection of goods

The RYA were alo confused ..... offered a declaration form which should be signed by customs on entry (no Douane at Eurotunnel) ,,, but they are yet to understand how it works !!
Dear Mr Bond

Thank you for taking the time to send the follow-up email with your membership number.

Have you seen the information we have published at https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge/abr...t-formalities? (you need to scroll down to find the section on towing a boat)

If you click through from that link to the additional information for RYA members on carnets, you will see that we mention that it may be necessary to have the form published in Annex 71-01 of the UCC Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446. I have taken a screenshot of the form from Annex 71-01 and it is attached.

I’m not sure if I am understanding your email correctly. Were the French customs on your return to the UK asking for a document that French customs should have provided when you entered France or that UK customs should have provided?

It would be really helpful to see the reply you received from French customs if that’s possible as it might help us to clarify if French customs are interpreting the EU legislation in the same way as the European Commission. If you are willing to share it with us it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Carol

ANY OTHER REGULAR CHANNEL HOPPERS WITH A TRAILERED RIB COME ACROSS THIS ISSUE BEFORE ???
Old 13 August 2022, 20:11   #9

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
All I had to show when I took my Rib was the boats registration certificate at the marina
Old 14 August 2022, 10:32   #10

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
All I had to show when I took my Rib was the boats registration certificate at the marina
Yes Mick ... in 16 years of dragging baby through France, I have only ever had to show any documentation (my SRR reg) - and that was to the UK border Police in about 2014 who were only interested in checking I wasn't planning to sell it in France to the migrant smugglers

The French Douane agent in Coquelles was VERY officious !

Tags
sib