Old 25 October 2007, 21:24   #1

Town: worthing
Make: ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x 40hp mariners
Rib use in the Med

Looking at taking the boat down to South of France or The Costa Brava next summer, has anyone experience of a particular resort or area they could recommend, and any relevent advice?
Regards Paul
Old 26 October 2007, 07:49   #2

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Engine: yamaha 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1 View Post
Looking at taking the boat down to South of France or The Costa Brava next summer, has anyone experience of a particular resort or area they could recommend, and any relevent advice?
Regards Paul
I have never gone boating down there, but as a non-Frenchie you will 'escape' some of the local rules. Just make it clear that you are a Brit, perhaps a little flag somewhere, make sure you take all docs you would normally have in the UK, eg. insurance, ownership invoice, etc. and you should be fine. I have never had any hassle from the police. It seems they are getting alot stricter on the speed limits though, even going so far as to track you by helicopter, (this was featured on the French TV news one night). I think it's 6 knots max within 300m of the coast.

French boats have to have big registration numbers down the tubes, and a licence is compulsory for anything above 6hp.

If, on the way down you get a chance to cross over to Belle Ile, you should, it's fantastic (just as you leave Brittany, near Vannes).

Also, the further south you go, the busier it gets, especially in August.
Old 26 October 2007, 07:56   #3

Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Engine: yamaha 100
Sorry, in fact it's only 5 knots max, within 300m of the coast, and the fines can be pretty hefty.
Old 26 October 2007, 08:26   #4

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
I would certainly recommend Belle-Isle, Houat and Hoedic leaving from Quiberon. Fantastic places to visit in a RIB.

When you use your boat here it needs to be registered with the small ship register. https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/
It takes 2 minutes and costs 25 quid.

On the south coast I would recommend you go to one of the following destinations :
- La Ciotat where you can go and visit all the famous calanques de Cassis all the way to Marseille (U turn here) and visit the small island l'ile verte. To the left its very nice too and there's a nice sandy beach. Its cheaper, suited to a family and not as snobish as Antibes & Cannes, etc...
- Hyeres where you will be able to visit Port-Cros & Porquerolles. Fantastic snorkelling and diving spots but the whole world seem to want to go there at the same time.

Personnally I have a preference for La Ciotat. You have to pay to use the slip way but the facilities are good and the're plenty of inland spots to see too.

I hope that helps.
Old 26 October 2007, 08:53   #5

Thanks guy's will research further, with regard to escaping the local rules would that also comply to any relevent qualifications , for example i have read on earlier posts about the icc, will this still be required in reality?
Regards Paul.
Old 26 October 2007, 08:58   #6

Sorry, I don't know what the icc is.

The French safety rules (I mean safety equipement required on board) only apply to boats registered in France. If you register your boat as a small ship (legally obliged for navigating outside of british waters) and you fly the British flag then you'll have no problems.

If you have a VHF then, like in the UK, you'll need your operators licence to hand onboard.
Old 26 October 2007, 09:03   #7

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
I don't think you need an ICC because you don't need one in the UK; they are however recognised and necessary for chartering purposes
Old 26 October 2007, 09:08   #8

Hi Pablo, the ICC is the International Certificate of Competence, however its pretty basic, but with most thing's over here revelent experience dos'nt count for much if you haven't got the certificate.
Regards Paul.
Old 26 October 2007, 09:28   #9

We have a similary useless licence here that is a legal requirement. The ICC isn't legally required, or is it? If you have the ICC then bring it over. If your asked questions its always good to show that you have plenty of official paperwork. You'll be taken seriously (not that you wouldn't be otherwise but it will save time).
Old 27 October 2007, 16:30   #10

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
For Spain you need an ICC but as you wonīt be asked to show it then no one really bothers, except me of course. If you do have an accident then if you canīt show the ICC you will probably be held responsible & your boat impounded till you settle any claim made against you.

The speed limit is 3 nudos I think in the marina & protected area, we were stopped by the police for speeding in a nature reserve area & very politely told to slow down, it was v poorly marked out. In fact the limit applies locally where the depth is not 20m, but I only found that out afterwards.

Good luck, pack your snorkel