Old 17 October 2014, 20:12   #1

Length: no boat
Zodiak Mark II Futura life span?

I'm currently looking at a 2000 Zodiak Futura Mk. II, it'll be my first boat, but I don't know what to check to make sure i'm not buying something at the end of it's life.

I'm in Canada if someone wants to walk me through the boat buying process as well, I've almost got my boat license.
Old 17 October 2014, 20:19   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Futura is an excellent quality boat, but it does have the usual Zodiac/Bombard group glue failure issues. I would estimate the failure window is 10-15 years. Having said that I have had glue fail at 7 years but I also have a Futura Junior from the early 90's that is still going strong.

Its easy to tell if the glue is failing, simply try and peel any of the glued joints (floor, transom, grab handles etc) back with a finger nail, if it moves its done. The joints on the actual tubes are welded and dont fail.
Old 17 October 2014, 20:25   #3

Length: no boat
Can the glue be replaced, or does it mean the boat is garbage?
Old 17 October 2014, 20:46   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiniz View Post
Can the glue be replaced, or does it mean the boat is garbage?
The boat can be repaired with 2-part adhesive. Most leisure Zodiacs are PVC (apart from Grand Raid and some of the new Pro range) and were built using thermo-bonding and gluing. Easy enough to repair as long as take your time at preparation, right ambient temperature, etc.

More details here: http://polymarine.com/pdfs/Polymarin...-Use-Guide.pdf

Places that tend to go are the cone ends, the seam under the rope lace cuff (might be below waterline on a 2000 boat).
Old 17 October 2014, 22:31   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I am still driving my 1992 Zodiac around after spending around 40 hours regluing it. When I bought (Traded actually) mine the floor had fallen out, so I got a great deal on the motor and trailer with a boat thrown in for free.
Old 17 October 2014, 23:25   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>it'll be my first boat... make sure i'm not buying something at the end of it's life.

There is a real danger of that... as Landlockedpirate says there are exceptions but a 2000 Zodiac is quite possibly in its twilight years.

Fully agree re the checks. You should be able to get a fingernail or similar and attempt to lift the glued seams as hard as you like and they should stay totally firm.

I've just bought a 2004 Zodiac which is fine now but over the summer I checked out quite a few others made 2000-2005 that had the start of terminal glue issues or which had suffered the most crude repair attempts.

If you buy it do so at a price where you could afford to scrap it if you get it out next year and it is starting to go.

Of course they can be repaired well as Peter C has done and all credit to someone who makes a job of it... but for most folks the time, patience and skill is a step too far.