Old 14 September 2018, 09:52   #1

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Zodiac's Strongan 1200 PVC, 1100 dtx fabric

I'd like people's opinion on Zodiac's Strongan PVC fabric.

My hypalon Zodiac MK II Grand Raid finally bit the dust after 30+ good service and I'm considering replacing it with the current Classic model which is PVC.

I've heard negative things about PVC boats but how good/bad is it? Has anyone had one for long for a long time with very few issues? I store the boat in my garage on a trailer with tubes inflated and floor deflated.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:46   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
PVC VS Hypalon (CSM) – Inflatable Boat Center

I have PVC no probs with it I know someone with it on a 14 year old boat and its immaculate worth reading above
Old 14 September 2018, 16:47   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Yer reckon! I've no idea who the author is but the notion of 15% or 7% deflation in 24 hours being acceptable is just nonsense. 15% deflation in 24 hours I class as a major leak!

PVC and hypalon are both good fabrics but with different characteristics. It's been discussed many times, do a search for opinions.
Old 14 September 2018, 18:21   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yer reckon! I've no idea who the author is but the notion of 15% or 7% deflation in 24 hours being acceptable is just nonsense. 15% deflation in 24 hours I class as a major leak!

PVC and hypalon are both good fabrics but with different characteristics. It's been discussed many times, do a search for opinions.
The 15%/7% are passing grades over 24 hours as I read it.
Old 14 September 2018, 19:47   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
I'd like people's opinion on Zodiac's Strongan PVC fabric.

My hypalon Zodiac MK II Grand Raid finally bit the dust after 30+ good service and I'm considering replacing it with the current Classic model which is PVC.

I've heard negative things about PVC boats but how good/bad is it? Has anyone had one for long for a long time with very few issues? I store the boat in my garage on a trailer with tubes inflated and floor deflated.
The hypalon MKII GR is a class act. There's no point trying to compare to PVC, sorry Strongan Duotex.

The MK IIGR is a class act, hypalon, inter-communicating valves (stainless steel) and finished in military grey. You did well to get 30+ years out of it.

The PVC counterparts shouldn't be discounted. Strongan Duotex is pretty decent stuff. That said, you need to be careful what you're buying. The early variants to the GR were the Tourer, the Grand Tourer and the Futura. What you need to watch for are mid 80s boats, where the seam on the sponson was on top under the rope lace cuff. Later versions, were all under the waterline, including the Classic, which is just a renamed Tourer.

That said, PVC is thermo-bonded so cone ends and keel (at the transom) are areas to start to fail. Of course, it can always be fixed with patience and the right gluing conditions. Check the transom too. If it's been well maintained the current owner will have everything, even down to the pressure gauge and repair patches.

If it was me, always buy one with an HD (aluminium floor).

Tags
zodiac