Old 17 May 2019, 20:40   #1

Town: St. Petersburg FL
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: out
Zodiac valve leaks

I bought an old (1984) CADET FR series 340 just to get my feet wet so to speak. The boat had no patches or major wear spots that i could see when I flipped it over to check it out before i purchased it. So I too it home and went through it. I mean i put all new valves in, checked the s0ft keel, and transom plug, and the soft floor. Installed keel tape along the keel and tubs then added a layer of liquid rubber as a extra layer of scuff proofing for beaching. Now my question is i still seem to have a slow leak in my port tub valve. Not around the valve the valve itself. I've teflon taped the threads of the valve and the plug that secures it. But it still leaks. I've also swapped valves with no luck. Any idea's?
Old 18 May 2019, 01:27   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydr View Post
I bought an old (1984) CADET FR series 340 just to get my feet wet so to speak. The boat had no patches or major wear spots that i could see when I flipped it over to check it out before i purchased it. So I too it home and went through it. I mean i put all new valves in, checked the s0ft keel, and transom plug, and the soft floor. Installed keel tape along the keel and tubs then added a layer of liquid rubber as a extra layer of scuff proofing for beaching. Now my question is i still seem to have a slow leak in my port tub valve. Not around the valve the valve itself. I've teflon taped the threads of the valve and the plug that secures it. But it still leaks. I've also swapped valves with no luck. Any idea's?
It’s not actually a 1984 boat, it’s a “series 1984”, probably from the late 90s.

Delrin valves usually leak from the cap. It’s best to replace the entire assembly. When people Teflon tape them, it tends to crack the valve base, which always turned in to a nice repair bill.

That series had a glued floor, so the floor will probably fall off at some point given the age. Unless it has been reglued completely, then it may buy some time.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 05:57   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Zodiac have possibly changed the part numbers for these, but this gives you an idea for parts. The diaphragm was usually the culprit, but the valve cap should seal it. Still leaking, then you need to dismantle to investigate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.GIF
Views:	380
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	129367  
Old 18 May 2019, 15:09   #4

Town: St. Petersburg FL
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: out
is there an upgrade to the type of valve

Thanks everyone for the advice. Right now im in the process of changing the assembly and was wondering if there is instructions on this? Or is there a recommended upgrade for this valve assembly?

Tags
zodiac