Old 18 January 2015, 23:13   #1

Town: Oregon coast
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Zodiac mark5 hd

Hi all. New here. I have a mark5 powered by a mercury 115 ELPTO. At a glance it seems odd that the marine store mounted the motor 2 holes from it resting on the transom. In other words it can go 2 1/4" lower or deeper in the water. What posts I did find on the subject suggest that many folks deal with improperly set up motors. I am using the boat for diving. It will carry heavy loads and be launched from the beach more often than a boat ramp. Anybody out there have a similar setup?
Old 19 January 2015, 02:23   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to RIB.net

Where the cavitation plate is located in relation to the bottom of the hull is the important part. Got a side photo of the two? Put a straight edge on it too. More correctly it is a running at speed check, and the location of the spray plate, along with any cavitation/handling issues. Each hull design is different.

I have one of those fins many will say do not work well, but for diving they work awesome for keeping the boat on plane and getting it there. You have plenty of horse power though.
Old 19 January 2015, 04:08   #3

With the motor trimmed perpendicular with the hull the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the transom. The boat is put up for the week so no photos or tests until the weekend. It's a pita to get all the weight in and out of the boat for sea trials. I guess I will just have to do it by trial and error. I may call the zodiac dealer and see what they say about it
Old 19 January 2015, 12:01   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Best performance for inflatables is typically obtained at the #2 mounting position.

You want the cavitation plate roughly level with the bottom of the transom, although in the case of Futura tunnel hull style designs, the plate will probably be a little lower..
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 19:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 guy View Post
It will carry heavy loads and be launched from the beach more often than a boat ramp. Anybody out there have a similar setup?
How do you plan on beach launching? Off the trailer by backing the vehicle in? Carrying it? Large tired dolly? Rollers?

I really can't imagine hand launching anything bigger than my boat around here as our beaches tend to be steep at water level. My boat is recoverable by emptying the boat of most everything, which pulls an additional 100lbs out, plus removing all the dive gear. Also have a bilge pump to remove as much water as possible before wheeling the boat past the surf zone. My trailer has a remote operated winch, to pull the boat back onto the trailer when it is steep. Otherwise it is easy enough for one person to just pick the bow up and set it 3/4 the way up the bunks.
Old 20 January 2015, 00:33   #6

I built a wheeled carriage that deploys from the trailer. I then push the entire rig out deep enough to float the boat off. The trailer wheels don't even get wet. It works great. It winches back on by a hand winch. Piece of cake with 2 guys. I can send you a picture of it in action if interested
Old 20 January 2015, 07:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 guy View Post
I built a wheeled carriage that deploys from the trailer. I then push the entire rig out deep enough to float the boat off. The trailer wheels don't even get wet. It works great. It winches back on by a hand winch. Piece of cake with 2 guys. I can send you a picture of it in action if interested
Please post a picture here for all to see We like seeing peoples creative setups. Plus anything DIY that works is awesome!

Here is my boat ready to go into the water at Little River in Mendocino County. Rear tires stay with the boat and swing up. Front dolly goes back to the tow vehicle/trailer.

Old 20 January 2015, 12:53   #8

Here is a pic
Old 20 January 2015, 12:55   #9

I can't figure out how to attach photo. Will try later
Old 21 January 2015, 00:28   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	102436
Old 21 January 2015, 00:29   #11

I'm not so swift with the pictures deal but hopefully that gives an idea
Old 21 January 2015, 05:58   #12

You got the picture up

So do you use a rope connected to a vehicle to pull it back up the beach? How do you move the dolly to the launch location? Do you leave the dolly in the water while you are out boating/diving? You are lucky to have such a protected mild sloping beach to launch from. Where is that cove?
Old 21 January 2015, 12:57   #13

Back the whole truck and trailer right to the waters edge. I push the dolly a short distance. Hand winch it mt back to trailer. Park on the blacktop. It is at sunset bay oregon
Old 21 January 2015, 16:35   #14

That is one protected cove. I wish we had something like that, although we do have tidal rivers mouths.

Google earth isn't very good for the ocean yet along that stretch of coast. Mostly looks like beaches. I would assume you dive further offshore? Orford Reef looks like a nice spot. What is the vis typically?
Old 22 January 2015, 02:36   #15

Vis is anywhere from 2-20'. You never know what your going to get. I have dove near shore at port orford. I have not made it to the reef. Orford and blanco reef are difficult to access. No launch at the port. They sling boats in and out with a crane. Sport boats are last priority and the port is a long ride. With the beach dolly it is about a 20 minute ride. Simpson reef is about that distance south from sunset bay