Old 21 February 2015, 06:56   #1

Length: 4m +
Zodiac Futura speed tube repair?

Hey guys,

Recently picked up this second hand zodiac futura mk2 and have been having a great time with it.

Only issue so far is that I've noticed a tiny pin prick leak on the seam of one of the speed tubes (stability tube under the boat, not the main pontoon). Keeps reasonable pressure for a while so is usable but it's an issue if like to sort out before t gets worse.

Have had a look online and called around local stores but it seems not many people in Melbourne know much about SIBs.

Does anyone know the best way to patch a leak like this on the speed tube? Right on the seem so sont think a normal patch will do. Was considering just dumping some silicon on it and hoping for the best but thought of ask around first!

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 21 February 2015, 08:05   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Patch it. I had to perform a repair on the seam of my speed tube right at the back on the bottom. A thorough cleaning, a pre-wipe prep with MEK, a round cut patch gets glued down with a two part glue, like Sta-bond, Bostick, etc. Let it dry, then re-inflate it and check for leaks.
Old 21 February 2015, 09:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Patch it.
Thanks Peter, I'll give it ago tomorrow.
Any tips for placing the tube back in its pocket? Is it possible while the boat is inflated and trailered?

It was fairly difficult to pull it out so I'm not looking forward to sticking it back in!
Old 21 February 2015, 17:49   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
You can remove yours? Cool! Mine are glued in. I would try installing it by deflating the boat completely on that side, inflate the speed tube to full pressure. Apply some soapy dish water heavily to the tube, and slip it in...

Otherwise I have no idea.
Old 22 February 2015, 02:17   #5

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Use the proper glue and patch as mentioned above. Silicone won't hold for a minute, and will contaminate the area. When removing a speed tube, tie a piece of rope to the valve first. Then use the rope to pull it back in later. Maybe you could use a stiff piece of wire like an electrician's fish tape to push a piece of rope through there now.
If you sand down the edge of the seam a bit smoother, it'll make for a smoother better patch.
Old 23 February 2015, 13:20   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmor07 View Post
Hey guys,

Recently picked up this second hand zodiac futura mk2 and have been having a great time with it.

Only issue so far is that I've noticed a tiny pin prick leak on the seam of one of the speed tubes (stability tube under the boat, not the main pontoon). Keeps reasonable pressure for a while so is usable but it's an issue if like to sort out before t gets worse.

Have had a look online and called around local stores but it seems not many people in Melbourne know much about SIBs.

Does anyone know the best way to patch a leak like this on the speed tube? Right on the seem so sont think a normal patch will do. Was considering just dumping some silicon on it and hoping for the best but thought of ask around first!

Thanks,
Paul.
Silicone sealant is icky! Sika or 3M 4000 / 4200 only for me...Silicone sealants contaminate the sealed area, making it impossible for future repairs to stick. Not to mention that it bonds poorly to PVC or Hypalon (peel strength probably measured in grams rather than kilograms!)

What you want to do is use a 2-part adhesive with a piece of PVC material. The speed tubes see a lot of wear, so I would probably do a 6" round patch. If the leak is on a curve, I would put a smear of Aquaseal on it first, let that cure, then patch it.

For reinstalling the speed tube, clean the holder out with soap & water, then spray the speed tube down with soapy water or 303 protectant. There might be a grommet on the front of the holder? I don't remember if the Futuras have a grommet...if they do, simply run some Paracord or similar high-strength string through it, then fish it to the speed tube, and yank her through. If it doesn't, you may want to push it in uninflated with a hockey stick or something.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2015, 11:19   #7
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Depending on where the air feed is and size to the runner tube, there is an inner-sealant product out there that is added through the valve hole which stops these type of leaks from the inside. It's not cheap and you have to manipulate the boat to allow it to get to the leak areas but it works and it the boat is to be deflated and packed, it remains flexible and wont crack or peel.