Old 05 September 2013, 14:39   #1

Town: Norfolk
Length: no boat
Zodiac Futura Questions

Good afternoon ladies and gents....

I am assuming some of you maybe lucky enough to own and run zodiac futura's. I am looking to buy either an Avon Searider 4m or Zodiac Futura 3.8 (not sure of what mark). So a few questions for the wise SIB community...

My main question is, how stable are they in a bit of chop and at speed? I appreciate speed is the futura's forte' and that may hamper its sea keeping somewhat, but if anyone has tales to tell, by all means please do. If I do get one it's main use will be blasting around the north Norfolk coast.

Over to you guys, please tell me everything you know about futuras....good and bad.

Thanks

Staples
Old 05 September 2013, 15:08   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Most inflatables are stable enough; in chop and short swell, it's beating the crap out of yourself that will be the problem.

jky
Old 05 September 2013, 15:13   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Zodiac Futuras (especially the fastroller's) are very light, very stiff and, with the biggest engine option, very quick. At normal speed and loads they are safe and stable, the relatively wide beam ensures turning them over is virtually impossible. They ride waves best by jumping over them, you need to be brave and keep the throttle on, its exciting and pretty wet. Your body will take a lot of abuse unless you have a Sport with the jockey seat.

Having said that, the closest I have ever come to a crash in any boat was in a late 90's Futura Sport with a 60hp 2 stroke and a very big prop (It was only rated to 50hp). I got into a chine walk that went badly quickly and I nearly turned the whole thing over. It was operator error and pushing the limits that caused the issue.

They are a great boat and I would even stick my neck out and say they are the best 3.8m airdeck out there (Yes I know, thats actually the Bombard 380 ), but they are a fair weather, nice day craft for inshore work.

The Searider is much more capable, but it will obviously be slower and probably older. I dont think the 2 can actually be compared, they are just too different.
Old 05 September 2013, 15:26   #4

Town: Norfolk
Length: no boat
Thanks for your responses guys! I have always lusted after a futura ever since I saw one nailing it on the in waters of Lymington back in '98. Somehow my Bombard ax3000 and 8 hp seemed a bit weak after that! I think I would be after a jockey console rig, what is the passenger capability of a futura ?(I know capacity may vary on size)
Old 05 September 2013, 15:27   #5

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
An Avon Searider will out perform a sib by miles
Old 05 September 2013, 16:55   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
The Futura with the jockey console was the 'Sport' Red with red jockey in the early 90's and then White tubes and yellow jockey console from around '98.

The console took up most of the room, you could get 2 people on that and then another couple on the tubes in front of that. The sport was only available in 4.3m so capacity was pretty rubbish really, I can get 6 easily in my Mk2C (3.85m). I'm not being negtive about the Futura, the white and yellow Sport I had is still the Sib with the biggest grin factor I have ever owned.
Old 05 September 2013, 17:04   #7

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Search zodiac mark 2 futura on YouTube, there is a classic 80s advert of the futura racing, poor quality unfortunately but classic music, one of my favourites.