Old 11 August 2015, 10:32   #1
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
Zodiac Futura in breaking waves

The wind changed from W to E within an hour. On the video you see us trying to avoid the breaking waves. The futura did very well.
(Shetland, North Sea)

Old 11 August 2015, 11:01   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Good fun but that's the weirdest driving position I've ever seen though - looks a bit unsafe (ejectable) and must give a lot of shock up the spine. In rough seas kneeling is probably best and tillers are generally designed for driving from the starboard side.
Old 11 August 2015, 11:28   #3
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Good fun but that's the weirdest driving position I've ever seen though - looks a bit unsafe (ejectable) and must give a lot of shock up the spine. In rough seas kneeling is probably best and tillers are generally designed for driving from the starboard side.
Thanks for your reply. It looks weird, I agree. The seat can be revolved and in this position I am a solid as a rock in that boat. The seats dampen the bumps and I never felt any chocks on my spine. The lady in the front seats does, but that is because of the nature of the futura which has a flat buttom. In these conditions a V-Rib would be better.

I have tested many configurations, sitting on the tubes, sitting on the Zodiac chairs which are made for futura, inflatable chairs, but ended up with building my own configuration. Two stainless steel cases which carry all safty equipment like flaires, spare VHF, life jackets, two anchors with rope and chain, lights, a battery for garmin GPS-fishfinder and much more. Fuel tanks are replaced with bladders that hang on the tubes in the bow. we also carry two double 12 dive cylinders including all diving equipment for diving at sea. The chairs are mounted on top of the stainless steel cases. The chair of the 'driver' can be revolved and fixed in any position.

We are wearing drysuits for diving, that is why don't wear life jackets in this video. The drysuits trap air in them and keep you warm.

Configuration is as solid as a rock, we can handle much more bumps and difficult conditions now.

I have been in several Ribs with tiller steering and to be honest, although they are better boats, sitting on tubes feels very insecure when conditions are not flat, and I still feel the pain in my back from sitting on the floor.

Video our zodiac futura in old configuration which was not near as solid and inspired me to build the stainless steel cases with seats on top.

Old 11 August 2015, 14:45   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I've certainly found the RNLI position works best for us in the rough stuff in terms of control, security, damage prevention (to joints!) etc - left hand on the tiller, right hand on a grab rope/handle (although I tend to kneel forward facing). This is how my son and I ride, just bought a 60mm kneeling pad as well to ape the RNLI mattress used on SIB floors:

Old 11 August 2015, 21:58   #5
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I've certainly found the RNLI position works best for us in the rough stuff in terms of control, security, damage prevention (to joints!) etc - left hand on the tiller, right hand on a grab rope/handle (although I tend to kneel forward facing). This is how my son and I ride, just bought a 60mm kneeling pad as well to ape the RNLI mattress used on SIB floors:
Thanks, good pictures. I prefer to steer with my right hand and not visible on the video, with my left hand I hold the handle very secure. I tried to steer with my left hand, doesn't work for me.

We carry a lot of equipment like two anchors with 60 metres of rope+5 m chain each, safely stored in the stainless boxes. I can carry over 100 litres of fuel if I have to.The RNLI position looks really good in an empty boat, in our case this would not work with diving cylinders and loads of other equipment. Configuration of the boat should depend on the goal and usage. Our configuration could not be the best for others as they have other usage of their SIB. For what we do I think this works very well.

Tags
zodiac