Old 06 September 2013, 13:20   #1

Town: Dereham
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp 2
Zodiac futura

Good afternoon

I have just bought a zodiac futura mkii. All the main chambers are sound and a section of the floor needs repairing.

My main hassle is the speed tubes, both leak from where the inflation pipe goes into the tube and one has a small leak on the round end (rear of boat).

Took it to my local repairer and his best advice was to stick some sealer in the tubes and hope for the best.

My questions are as follows

Does anyone have any experience of repairs such as these?
Does anyone know a good repairer?
Do Zodiac sell replacement tubes?
How would the boat run if I removed the speed tubes completely?

Sorry for loads of questions and I appreciate any help that comes my way!!
Old 09 October 2013, 14:27   #2

How are you

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Have you tried www.ribstore.co.uk? They are professional inflatable repairer and can also do delivery as in your boat will get picked up and returned.

I spoke to them a few times and they are friendly. We need friendly boater community, after all, this is a leisure activity. Unlike some boat house near Putney, no customer service at all!
Old 09 October 2013, 14:32   #3

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
im in the same boat speed tube on the one i just bought goes down pretty quickly too
Old 09 October 2013, 17:18   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I'm sure Henshaws will have most likely done this Fix Before,and may have the patterns.. Worth a call

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2013, 18:15   #5

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
if the leak is in an easy place to patch have a go yourself! Fixed a couple of boats that were for the bin in the last 2 years and it was not that hard to do.
Old 09 October 2013, 19:47   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
What year is this boat and how was it stored?

The problem is glue failure once started will become everything under stress that is glued.
Old 21 October 2013, 08:53   #7

have decided it's worth repairing as the speed tubes are the only dodgy bit, worst comes to the worst I can cut them off and have a normal sib!

Progress so far

Speed tubes - As mine are the non-removable ones replacement wasn't an option due to cost. My solution was to purchase about £30 worth of foam sleeping mats with I then cut into small pieces. Cut a hole in the end of the speed tubes and with the help of some drain rods stuffed the foam into the tubes! You must make sure you get it right to the end. Also make sure it's closed cell foam. Stitched the tubes with fishing line and patched over. They will not be waterproof so I will put a drain hole at the rear. They are very firm and the foam returns to shape when compressed.

Three patches applied to the floor and sponsons, front towing eye reglued after cleaning with MEK, scouring pad (green) and a blunt knife, took forever!!

The two front sections of the floor needed replacing as they have rotted, painted the new ply with ronseal floor paint.

Replaced one valve inner on the the front sponson, easy to do with a pair of long nosed pliers, DO NOT waste money on the valve removal tool!

Sponsons have retained pressure for about 2 weeks now so fingers crossed!!

Hoping to refit floor today so if anyone has the instructions I would be grateful.

Have piccys from day 1 so will try and load them at some stage.

The forum has been invaluable for help so ta a lot
Old 21 October 2013, 13:07   #8

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Length: 3m +
hi ,im following this thread ,is the boat going to be trailered as im sure with the foam inserts it cannot be rolled up ? also what hp outboard do you think you will use on it ,as i have the same type boat with a leaking speed tube its good to see how you tackle any problems ,cheers pete
Old 21 October 2013, 14:09   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dij66 View Post
Hoping to refit floor today so if anyone has the instructions I would be grateful.
Lock the two piece oars together and place one either side under the floor length-wise. Tubes should be partly inflated.

Insert the new ply bow board first, then the ply thrust board, then the board nearest the transom. Fit the next two floor sections so they form a 'v' shape, using the rope cuff, haul the sponson sides while pressing down on the floor and it should lock together. Now add the stringers either side of the floor to maintain rigidity. I used to get in the boat to do this. Place them in at an angle then using your foot press them home. They should click into location.
Old 22 October 2013, 08:12   #10

top banana!

cheers spartacus! now off to give it a go, glued the new keel in yesterday so should be cured by now.

Pete, the boat will be permanently trailered as it has the steering console, may remove this and go back to tiller control but I will give it a go. We have an avon 4m workboat at work which is tiller controlled so used to both.
Old 05 November 2013, 14:16   #11

Town: skipton
Boat name: pennine
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dij66 View Post
cheers spartacus! now off to give it a go, glued the new keel in yesterday so should be cured by now.

Pete, the boat will be permanently trailered as it has the steering console, may remove this and go back to tiller control but I will give it a go. We have an avon 4m workboat at work which is tiller controlled so used to both.

Dij66

To answer the original questions
1. New Zodiac speed tubes are normally available for Futuras, as new and genuine parts. However this assumes the boat is not too old that Zodiac have stopped making them. The awkward thing is always finding out exactly what the right part number of the replacement tubes is to fit your particular boat.
2. The boat will not corner/turn very well without the tubes
3. They are a bugger to mend properly, simply because the curvature on the tubes is so tight that getting patches to stick is awkward

Peter
Old 23 January 2014, 11:16   #12

up date

just to bring you all up to date, Futura fully done but not trialled, patching the end of the speed tubes was a nightmare and frankly looks like a dogs dinner!! However still confident they will work or as stated previously could just remove them..........except......

I managed to purchase a Zodiac 4.2m pro 7 coded safety boat so looking to shift the futura. I am taking the console and engine from the futura so it will be the bare boat alone, no trailer. Will advertise in the classifieds.

The pro 7 was just the bare boat so have robbed or bought the following

Console, seat, remotes and engine from the futura
New A frame (stainless)
Trailer bearings (sealed)
Trailer rollers

Feel a bit sorry for the futura but hey ho!!!