Old 22 June 2010, 07:38   #1

Length: 5m +
Zodiac Floorboard Install and Info Needed

I just purchased a used zodiac and I have some questions on what year the boat is and need help installing the floorboards. The nameplate says the model is what appears to be 437S. The serial number is XDC00347M77G. There are some brackets at the bottom of the transom that appear to be for launching wheels to attach. Does anyone know on how these wheels would attach to the bracket and the transom or where I can pick some up at? I am also having trouble installing the aluminum floor that came with the boat. I install the boards so that they form an inverted "V" and then try to push that down. The point of the "V" is about 12" from the bottom and I can't get the floor to budge even when standing on it. Are these boards for a larger boat or am I installing them incorrectly. I have attached some pictures to help you understand my problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160a.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	52093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167a.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	52094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171a.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	52095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172a.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	52096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173a.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	52097  

Old 22 June 2010, 08:56   #2

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
In your pics the boat seems properlly inflated (neither too much nor almost deflated).

You might be placing the boards in an incorrect order. First try outside the boat to check whether they fit or not and play with the configuration. If none is correct, check the board flaps for bumps or dirt.
If you finally get to flatten the boards outside your boat, they should fit inside, too. Placing 2 paddles (or similar) down along below the boat floor makes it easier, for sure. As you have written, stand on top of the V.

If even though it doesn´t flatten, you may be right: the floor may be from a bigger boat. Probably not only too long, but also too wide.
Old 22 June 2010, 14:21   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Also check that the area under the transom is clear, as the rear floorboard is supposed to slip under the transom. If it doesn't, that's another inch or so keeping you from flattening the floorboards. (I think.)

jky
Old 22 June 2010, 23:31   #4

Length: 5m +
I put the floorboads together outside the boat and they measure about 4" longer than the distance from the transom to the thrust board. Is this a normal measurement to have? Is the boat supposed to strech 4" to fit the floorboards? If they are from a bigger boat, any ideas on how I can modify the boards I have? How long should the boards be compared to the distance in the boat? Thanks.
Old 23 June 2010, 07:41   #5

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatinginak View Post
I put the floorboads together outside the boat and they measure about 4" longer than the distance from the transom to the thrust board. Is this a normal measurement to have? Is the boat supposed to strech 4" to fit the floorboards? If they are from a bigger boat, any ideas on how I can modify the boards I have? How long should the boards be compared to the distance in the boat? Thanks.
Looks like the floor is longer and not the original?looks like you are doing it properly trying to put the floor in,as i do mine ,i put the bow one in then the next one, then the 2 stern ones and then the middle section,mind you yours looks all together ,folded up then folds out,sure if a little was taken of the back it would fit length ways? but is it the right width? that may be a problem,there is some stretch in the boat to take alloy floors 4 inch does sound a fair bit,im no expert tho,someone on here will know,keep in there mate ,DON T TAKE ANY THING OFF THE FLOOR TILL YOU HAVE EXPLORED ALL OPTIONS AND ARE SUR IT WON'T FIT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	assembly1.jpg
Views:	2271
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	52141  
Old 23 June 2010, 17:23   #6

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 25
Boatinginak,

It looks to be installed correctly to me, and of the correct length for your Zodiac. Of course I only have experience with one Zodiac….. but mine is a very similar boat (1984 GR III 15ft and I have what looks to be the identical floor. I can state unequivocally that it is a total and complete pain in the arse to install! The bad news for you my friend is that the easy part is getting the floor down and flat….. the HARD part is getting the side locks installed and secured. The last time I installed mine my neighbor came over to make sure that I was ok after hearing all of the cursing, screaming and throwing of stuff going on in my garage…..

Here are a couple of pointers to help you out: Lay a poly tarp on your garage floor but don’t lay it out perfectly flat. Lay it down with plenty of wrinkles in it and then lay the Zodiac on top of it. Then when you are literally jumping up and down on your floor boards and stretching the Zodiac out the poly tarp will allow the bottom of the boat to slide a bit on your garage floor. For reference, I weigh in at 230lbs and cannot get the floor to “pop” over center by weight alone. I have to “bounce” or “jump” on the dang thing to get it to go, and then get my wife to come and stand on it so it doesn’t pop back up while I fight with the side locks. The added bonus of having her there to help is that she can keep an eye on the big bulging veins in my neck and warn me of an impending stroke or heart attack….

Remember, this is a hypolon sib (rubber) and you don’t have it anywere near inflated so it does need to stretch a bunch for that floor to fit. Once the floor is in and the Zodiac is at full pressure the tubes are going to stretch the boat out and you will see that the floor fits perfectly.

I will try and post a few pictures of mine, but I don’t know what I have that will be helpful….

Also, I have to assume that you are in Alaska by your title…. If by chance you live in Anchorage or close by you should send me a PM and we can get together for you to either have a look at mine for comparison, or for me to give you a hand with yours….
Old 23 June 2010, 17:41   #7

forgot to mention, that you will want to make darn sure that your inflatable keel tube does not have any leaks BEFORE you put the floor in! otherwise you will be yanking the floor BACK out of the boat to patch the keel tube.....

See attached for some pics. Hope they help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00373.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	52148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00375.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	52149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00377.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	52150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00378.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	52151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00396.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	52152  

Old 23 June 2010, 17:46   #8

a few more pics....

regarding your launch wheel attachment I dont really have a good answer for you there as mine has a different type of bracket. You may be able to see it in the pictures, but essentually mine has a stainless "button" sticking thru the lower transom on each side and then a hole on the upper portion of the transome on each side. So each beach wheel assy clips onto the lower button and then a bolt secures it thru the hole on the upper portion of the transom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6130053.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	52153   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130055.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	52154   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130056.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	52155   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130061.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	52156  
Old 23 June 2010, 18:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
a few more pics....

regarding your launch wheel attachment I dont really have a good answer for you there as mine has a different type of bracket. You may be able to see it in the pictures, but essentually mine has a stainless "button" sticking thru the lower transom on each side and then a hole on the upper portion of the transome on each side. So each beach wheel assy clips onto the lower button and then a bolt secures it thru the hole on the upper portion of the transom.
Hi there ,hope you don t mind me asking but in pic 3 have you some sort of rail made up to take your rods,and have you a closer pic?
Old 23 June 2010, 18:44   #10

Town: new quay
Boat name: fishery patrol
Make: zodiac
I am currently having exactly the same problem with my gr3. i was almost about to trim some off the bow board. also i've only just this evening put it back on the trailer, do any of you think this task is possible on the trailer or does in need to come off again. thanks all.

P.S mine has a console in the middle attatched to the front two aluminium floorboards. does it matter if i have to therefore jump on the 'V' on the rear two boards to get them to pop together?
Old 23 June 2010, 18:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1500 View Post
I am currently having exactly the same problem with my gr3. i was almost about to trim some off the bow board. also i've only just this evening put it back on the trailer, do any of you think this task is possible on the trailer or does in need to come off again. thanks all.

P.S mine has a console in the middle attatched to the front two aluminium floorboards. does it matter if i have to therefore jump on the 'V' on the rear two boards to get them to pop together?
I think it depends on what kind of trailer you have. if you just have a flat deck snowmachine or atv type trailer then I wouldnt worry about taking it back off, but if you only have bunks that support just the tubes then I think I will pull the boat off to put the floor in.

I would NOT trim anything off of the trust board. As mentioned in my previous post, these Aluminum Zodiac floors seem to fit REALLY tight, so what you are experiencing is likely normal. Difficult and frustrating, but normal....
Old 23 June 2010, 19:08   #12

Thornbackflound, the "rod holders" are just one of those cheap 3-in-1 plastic jobs for transport only. just something to keep the rods up and out of the way as we motor along. I have a couple of real rod holders for trolling but havent figured out were to mount them yet... I use a little bungee cord across the front of them to keep them from bouncing out of the rod holder.

You can sort of see in the picture that the cheap plastic one is bolted to the top front of the rubber trash can and not actually attached to the boat in any way. The trash can is for fish storage as a pokey rock fish or halibut thrashing around in my little rubber boat would be a bad thing.... it also makes a convenient place to stach some preset terminal tackle. Also cuts down on the amount of slime and blood in the boat....

Jas1500, sorry that I forgot to answer about the floor board.... it does not matter if the "peak" in the boards are between 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 in my experience. in fact, I have often stood and jumped on one to get it to go down into place and have the other board pop up..... helps to have your wife in there with you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6130058.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	52158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130057.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	52159  
Old 23 June 2010, 19:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
Thornbackflound, the "rod holders" are just one of those cheap 3-in-1 plastic jobs for transport only. just something to keep the rods up and out of the way as we motor along. I have a couple of real rod holders for trolling but havent figured out were to mount them yet... I use a little bungee cord across the front of them to keep them from bouncing out of the rod holder.

You can sort of see in the picture that the cheap plastic one is bolted to the top front of the rubber trash can and not actually attached to the boat in any way. The trash can is for fish storage as a pokey rock fish or halibut thrashing around in my little rubber boat would be a bad thing.... it also makes a convenient place to stach some preset terminal tackle. Also cuts down on the amount of slime and blood in the boat....

Jas1500, sorry that I forgot to answer about the floor board.... it does not matter if the "peak" in the boards are between 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 in my experience. in fact, I have often stood and jumped on one to get it to go down into place and have the other board pop up..... helps to have your wife in there with you.
Arh good idea there,many thanks
Old 24 June 2010, 19:30   #14

Town: new quay
Boat name: fishery patrol
Make: zodiac
thanks alangaq, great advice. I did end up taking the boat back off the trailer and doing it on my front lawn. I did have to take my jockey seat console out (only 6 13mm nuts and washers) but after that it all seamed to work quite nicely. the boat is now re-inflated and back on the trailer all of which only took me about an hour to do!! thanks again for the much needed advice.

P.S anyone know where i can get hold of an original rubber bung? i don't know where to start looking!