Old 08 December 2012, 07:39   #1

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Zodiac fast roller deflation

I've sussed inflation with my active-v boat, but its time to put it back in its bag. I've already had one attempt, and failed, so I have re inflated and will try again.

I read on one post not to evacuate all air as it makes the tubes stick together and make it hard to fold. The instructions also say, prior to folding, replace the valve dust caps - this I assume will stop further air escaping when folding.

When I tried to fold last time, I didn't let enough air out, and when I folded, I ended up enough air in the cones to prevent them from being folded. I did pump air out of the tubes, but not to point of vacuum. I did have problem pumping air out of the active floor/keel. It's a different valve which needed the inflation ring to be unscrewed meaning that the connector didn't fit the outer ring.

When deflating, is it safe to use my Bravo BST electric pump?

I think its just a matter of judging how much air to pump out before refitting the valve caps and starting the roll. Any tips on how to judge this is appreciated.
Old 08 December 2012, 13:12   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
For fast deflation, open all air valves at same time, probably will need a buddy if sib has more than 2 valves on tubes. Once done, air valves must be kept open with caps on. To fit properly inside bag you could vaccumm all air chambers with a vacuum cleaner or use a Bravo manual or electric inflating, deflating pump, leave valves open with cap too.
Old 08 December 2012, 16:10   #3

Town: lattes
Boat name: BENEDETT
Make: lomac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70 HP
RIBase
Inflatable boats

Good evening!
If you have place or room for exemple a garet, it will be very beter to late your inflatable
inflated at low pressure and not in his bags.
Bye!
Old 08 December 2012, 16:11   #4

If valves are to be kept open with caps on (as I had done) this would appear to stop further deflation as the cap acts as a seal and thus prevent further deflation as the boat is folded. This is the problem that I encountered.

I did use my pump to deflate, but not to point of 'vacuum sealing'. I'm hoping that there is a tip to judge how much air to suck out without 'vacuum sealing' the tube to itself and making it difficult to fold.

I could not work out how to attach pump to floor/keel valve as in deflation position with core removed its a much bigger opening to the inflation position - I think its a 'Delrin valve', maybe someone can confirm this so that i can buy a spare insert and cap.

I'm not sure how much air I could get out of the floor/keel. Is there an adaptor that I can use? When inflating, the 'delrin valve' needs no adaptor ring/tube unlike the valves for the main tubes which needs the use of the small black tube that came with the foot pump. The foot pump also came with a ring of different inserts, but I don't think any are suitable for the floor valve with no core. Should I have used the other spare black inflation tube adaptor (with a plastic bar across the inside of the tube) that when used to inflate the main valves, seems to cause a 50:50 chance of opening the valve when inflation tube is removed? I'm not really sure what this tube is for - I just use for my electric pump.
Old 08 December 2012, 16:50   #5

Make: Zodiac
Top Tip is to not fully deflate, ie don't suck all the at out. You need a small amount to enable movement and manipulation of the tubes for stowage.

Also, try and keep the tubes rolled in far enough when deflated to ensure the transom width is maintained which should enable a uniform width.
Old 08 December 2012, 17:01   #6

Thanks, William

The tip about not sucking all the air out is the bit causing the problem - I had read it somewhere else and it made sense.

If I'm deflating say with the electric pump, is there an obvious point where I am starting to over deflate? Would the pump for instance change pitch?

If I do over deflate, can I leave valves open for a period to let air back in and unstick the tubes? Or maybe, pump a bit of air back in?

There are only so many practice inflates/deflates I can do in these weather conditions, even in the garage. Bit concerned about manipulating a deflated boat too much when its close to freezing.

Thanks