Old 31 March 2015, 12:58   #1

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Zodiac / Bombard Sportboat Performance

I've noticed that the internet is fairly dead in regards to performance data on the Futura / Bombard Commando / FC470 / F470 hull.

Rather than letting somebody else spend hours mounting/remounting the outboard like I did, I figured I would create a thread. Feel free to expand on it. I hope this will save somebody some time and internet searching.

Here's my info:

1990 Zodiac FC-470 , rollup Floor
2008 Evinrude ETEC 50hp RescuePro (tiller, Enforcer lower unit)
Hole #3 (hole #2 caused wash over the transom, #4 did not allow enough trim)
Engine trimmed up about 3"

Top speed, 28 mph @ max revs (~5500 rpm)
Cruise, 24 mph @ ~4500 rpm (no tach to verify)
On-Plane, 10 mph

Test weight : 836 lb total
(165 lb operator, 20 lb gear, 322 lb boat, 247 lb outboard, 40 lb fuel, 42 lb battery)
Keel & Main Buoyancy tubes gauged at 3.5 psi

59F water temp, 66F ambient temperature, wind 3.8 mph southwest, flat water conditions
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 16:45   #2

Town: CA
Boat name: FC470
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
what is your prop info your using?
Old 19 April 2015, 21:58   #3

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Triple 8- What size transom does your F 470 have? 15" , 18" or 20"????? They have made those boats with all three and it greatly effects performance. Many people think they are all the same and they are by far not. Just like floors are not all interchangeable on those boats from year to year.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 22:00   #4

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Zodiac / Bombard Sportboat Performance

Also for those that do not know, the Enforcer/ Rescue pro outboards have a lower unit with an enclosed rotor not a propeller. They are designed for the military and fire rescue market and provide better performance than a jet drive or prop with guard on it. With a jet you loose around 20% of the horsepower going through the jet. With a prop guard, most of them have speed limitations. The enforcer lower unit is very durable and shows almost no horsepower loss.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 19:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
Triple 8- What size transom does your F 470 have? 15" , 18" or 20"????? They have made those boats with all three and it greatly effects performance. Many people think they are all the same and they are by far not. Just like floors are not all interchangeable on those boats from year to year.
Crap, forgot about that!

18 inch transom.

It would be wise to notate that in the boat performance category as well and to always measure the transom on your Futura before purchasing an outboard! A longshaft outboard will yield poor performance on a shortshaft transom'ed Futura...same goes vice versa (unless you have a jackplate, which I would not recommend for high power boats without serious transom stiffening).
Old 20 April 2015, 19:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
Also for those that do not know, the Enforcer/ Rescue pro outboards have a lower unit with an enclosed rotor not a propeller. They are designed for the military and fire rescue market and provide better performance than a jet drive or prop with guard on it. With a jet you loose around 20% of the horsepower going through the jet. With a prop guard, most of them have speed limitations. The enforcer lower unit is very durable and shows almost no horsepower loss.
Nailed it.

The 0 mph-to-planing time with the FC470 & the Durajet Enforcer lower unit is very impressive.

I will vouch to the durability. The thickness of the aluminum is very impressive. I have already hit a couple submerged trees at an old Lake that was dammed up and expanded, with no problems to the lower unit