Old 17 July 2020, 21:57   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Das float
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury thunder 20hp
Zodiac 2250 Classic wrong nose board ???

One last issue before i can get my restoration project finished and on the water.
When i put the deckboards into the skin its a tight squeeze as i knew it would be.
When ive got the boards in and flat it pushes agsinst the front brace so hard it pushes the back edge down and the front end skyward.
The nose board i have does nothing to correct this as it is smaller than the surface area of the nose so it falls off of thd front edge as it does not make contact with its front or side edges.
(Its not easy to explain so ill attach pictures)
I think its the wrong nose board so ill have to make a new one thats bigger and makes contact on all sides sk will push back against ghe brace.
The last image shows 2 different setups for this boat i seem to have the small nose set up which i think is wrong ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_205846.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	134270   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_205825.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	134271   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_210406.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	134272   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_223649.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	134273  
Old 17 July 2020, 22:00   #2

The last picture is of 2 x deckboard setups for the same boat. One with a bigger nose board and one with a smaller nose board. I have the smaller one !
Old 18 July 2020, 02:50   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Have you tried jumping on it? My MKII Zodiac occasionally required a little extra motivation to set into place. You can see the fabric is twisting up on the attached board, and the bow board is way to high towards the stern. Make it go down, using your foot where the boards come together.
Old 18 July 2020, 05:49   #4

jump on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Have you tried jumping on it? My MKII Zodiac occasionally required a little extra motivation to set into place. You can see the fabric is twisting up on the attached board, and the bow board is way to high towards the stern. Make it go down, using your foot where the boards come together.
I have tried that. the boards are seated correctly but as the nose board is smaller than the bow it has nothing to push against so instead of creating an opposing force holding it down it simply raises up and falls off.

im going to fabricate a new nose board today !

pretty gutted, I actually thought id get her in the water this weekend !
Old 18 July 2020, 10:51   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I don't think the nose board is the issue.

I bought mine from the guy who'd owned it from almost new back in the 70s and know it was 100% original. The bow board is not meant to be braced super tight like the boards behind the glued-in narrow board.... it was really quite a slack fit. So that bow board was never meant to exert a pressure to bring the narrow glued-in board to its best position.

It was always my thought Zodiac believed a degree of bow flex forward of the glued-in board was needed hence their design.

If your main boards are so tight they are badly distorting the glued-in board then I'd wonder one of two things... are the boards slightly over sized replacements... or has the glued-in board come adrift in the past (common with age) and been glued back slightly out of place? In saying that I assume the tubes are 100% to pressure.

In what you call your last image it is a crop of the image I put up in another thread to show all the removable boards. But bear in mind I'd just laid them out like that and the narrow light colour board was still in the boat (glued to the tubes as it should be). Is the way I laid them out on the floor adding to confusion?
Old 19 July 2020, 06:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I don't think the nose board is the issue.

I bought mine from the guy who'd owned it from almost new back in the 70s and know it was 100% original. The bow board is not meant to be braced super tight like the boards behind the glued-in narrow board.... it was really quite a slack fit. So that bow board was never meant to exert a pressure to bring the narrow glued-in board to its best position.

It was always my thought Zodiac believed a degree of bow flex forward of the glued-in board was needed hence their design.

If your main boards are so tight they are badly distorting the glued-in board then I'd wonder one of two things... are the boards slightly over sized replacements... or has the glued-in board come adrift in the past (common with age) and been glued back slightly out of place? In saying that I assume the tubes are 100% to pressure.

In what you call your last image it is a crop of the image I put up in another thread to show all the removable boards. But bear in mind I'd just laid them out like that and the narrow light colour board was still in the boat (glued to the tubes as it should be). Is the way I laid them out on the floor adding to confusion?
Having worked on it yesterday i think you could be right on a counts.
Ive taken 10mm off of the last board thst buts up agsinst the trandom to eleieve the pressure on the brace.
I have also made a new nose board.
I almost 100 percent that the nose board is not original as it is smaller ghan anh ogher ive seen and the front edge of the brace is tapered like the deck board joins and the nose board dosnt suit this which means it falls away easily.
I understand your theory about the brace being replaced of the patches being re glued and go be honest theres no signs of it but you never know..
Hopefully today goes well !
Old 19 July 2020, 21:28   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Sounds like you're not far away Fenlander nailed it I think
...I had the same model some years ago,and know for sure that correct Tube Pressure is Paramount getting the Boards to fit properly...and stay in place!
Better fixed on dry land that's for sure!
By the way "Splash Gordon" made me giggle!
Good Luck

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac