Old 18 May 2021, 11:28   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Yamaha 15FMH & Russian Trolley manufacture

In early February it became apparent that Fenlander was considering lightning his load by changing both boat and engine, I made contact to see if he was willing to sell his 15HP Yamaha, he was and we reached an agreement on value but due to covid I would not be able to collect for 2 more months, but he was happy to keep it for me, even refusing a down payment. I eventually collected the engine and very nice it is too. I was very happy with our deal, it came with a tank, manuals spares, and even 2 new props.

I mounted it on my converted sack barrow and loaded it into my Ford C-Max and drove it 130 miles home.

my yamaha.jpg

My other Suzuki 8HP weighs 28kilo and this is 36+kilo, i'm getting a bit old for struggling with awkward shaped loads so started to look at ways I could make my life easier.
I saw the Russians had a trolley which used the AV plate to support the motor upright and could be used to transom mount the motor. I considered it and built one while I was waiting to collect the Yamaha, but although it seems to work in the video's I was a little unsure of the load on the AV plate and I really didnt fancy damaging mine, so thats become reserve tool for the lighter Suzuki.

stand.jpg

I had noticed the steering tube and lifting eye on the Yamaha and wondered if I could incorporate that into a lifting trolley to get the motor on and off the transom. I should have known those Russians had beaten me to it. I searched the internet looking for a UK seller, then I tried the Russians to see if they would ship me one. No joy so it was make your own time. I watched a lot of videos, some many times to get an idea of dimensions for the trolley.

I had some 25 x 25mm x 3mm wall box in my steel store and considered making one from that, but a quick add of whats needed made it far to robust (I mean heavy!) so the hunt was on for other steel box I could use that was not an arm and a leg to purchase. I found someone local selling 2nd hand office tables made from 24 x 48 x 1.5mm tube and that suited me size wise so a deal was done, 4 tables for £10. It almost seemed a shame to cut them up so 1 remained whole for the work shed. The others released enough steel to make at least 3 rusky motor carriers.
I had pretty much everything else I needed in my steel store, I bought a pair of PU 260x85 puncture proof wheels for £18 and maybe £10 on other odd parts I didnt have already.
I have to add here that I am a hoarder, I have lived in the same home for near 50yrs and every now and then I have to build another shed to hold all the "stuff" I come across. I cant help it, its an addiction!

So it was build time.

axle fit.jpg

finished bare.jpg

finished top clamp off.jpg

Forum rules mean I have to post this with 5 pics and hopefully I can add further narrative and pics in post 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my yamaha.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	137437   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	137438   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle fit.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	137439   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished bare.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	137440   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished top clamp off.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	137441  

Old 18 May 2021, 11:32   #2

finished top on 2.jpg

Its looking very wide in the top wheels picture but its just 45cm without the wheels and 55cm with. I elected to fit the ex pram wheels on the outside but inside the steel would have saved space if needed. The main trolley is 38cm without wheels and its 84cm tall to the steering pin.
You will notice there are two holed lugs on the verticals, in a past life these attached the table top! I left them on as a reminder of what it once was.

Now I have tested fitting the Yamaha onto the trolley from a wooden static engine mount that I have, simulating a transom mount and its very easy with no real lift required. I also can mount/unmount the outboard from its original blue sack truck without straining myself.

I made the lower V shape ply leg support able to be fitted either below or above the AV plate, so should I wish to fit muffs to flush the engine I can. I have also tested pulling the leg further out to allow a bucket to fit for flushing, just rest a 2x2 timber between the frame and the outboard leg. Its still easily in balance like that.

My car has quite a drop to the boot floor which is why the quite long top wheel mounts, so the wheels make contact with the floor without damaging the bumper, I use a rug to be sure.
The foot plate comes off the stand with 1 knob when its laid down to save space & the wheels are removable with R clips, the axle rod too if you wish.
inthecar1.jpg

inthecar2.jpg

inthecar3.jpg

Well thats pretty much it done for the moment, I may remake the top arms to try and reduce the total height or length if you like when laid down but I have the car step to consider.
I have one more modification in the works but until I can have some dry weather to inflate the Elling in the garden I cant test that it will be worth while.

Now I am sure there will be some interest in these from oldies like me but I costed up getting the materials to make them and they alone come to well over £100 add to that a lot of labour, MIG welding & painting and £300 arrives very quickly.

If you managed to get all the way to here without skipping the read, well done I hope it interested you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished top on 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	137442   Click image for larger version

Name:	inthecar1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	137443   Click image for larger version

Name:	inthecar2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	137444   Click image for larger version

Name:	inthecar3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	137445  
Old 18 May 2021, 13:20   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
By anyone's standards an excellent standard of fabrication... very impressive.
Old 18 May 2021, 20:05   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Great job.....Very professional looking and I'm sure will be of interest to a few here..

Ordered the Fully Collapsible Outboard Trolley just under £100 (max 20Hp 55kg)..... but probably not as strong as yours, or as flexible because it doesn't give the option to assist loading into a vehicle.

I will have to see if I can mod it perhaps borrowing some of your ideas

Pikey Dave got one similar to this below approx £250 which is starting to head towards to cost of your manufactured one, but it also assists in loading. But as you quite rightly point out many vehicles don't have a flat load bay, so would need larger wheels or boot space raised.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/launchingwh...1363335&sr=8-8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outboard-engine-trolley.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	137448  
Old 18 May 2021, 21:48   #5

One of the main points for me was that the transom clamp is completely free then the outboard is on the trolley, you can set it to any degree of tilt it would normally go to when on a transom. Just open the clamps up, select the amount of tilt and tip the motor onto the transom with no lifting at all, just damping the downward travel. When removing from the transom you have also very little weight as its already on the trolley.
Old 19 May 2021, 15:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
One of the main points for me was that the transom clamp is completely free then the outboard is on the trolley, you can set it to any degree of tilt it would normally go to when on a transom. Just open the clamps up, select the amount of tilt and tip the motor onto the transom with no lifting at all, just damping the downward travel. When removing from the transom you have also very little weight as its already on the trolley.
Yeah that's definitely an issue these other systems don't cover like yours. I've got a 20hp on its way soon along with the stand so I will see if a mod can be done using that for transom loading/offloading but doubt if the frame etc will be strong enough. Will see once everything arrives.
Old 19 May 2021, 16:22   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just a thought, most (if not all) 4 strokes need transporting on their sides. Just something to bear in mind. Another reason to stick with 2 strokes.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 19:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just a thought, most (if not all) 4 strokes need transporting on their sides. Just something to bear in mind. Another reason to stick with 2 strokes.
Something I haven't checked with the Suzuki but you are probably right.

Not clear how Oldman2 design gets around that, but I'm thinking that the round bar would slide out and you could clamp to the wood (as though it was the transom, tilt into the boot and then tilt the OB left/right.

Also his design lifts the head up by quite a bit so maybe that stops the need for being on their side. Haven't a clue though to be honest.

Might not be as simple as that though in reality....considering the weight involved with the 20hp
Old 19 May 2021, 20:51   #9

My copy of a Russian design is realistically only for 2 stroke engines.

But thinking about it, 4 strokes are allowed to go full tilt on the transom, so as long as the power head is higher than the leg by X degrees it must be ok.
In which case you could just make the top end wheels deep enough to meet the criteria and then the 4 stroke doesnt need to be on its side when in the car. Do check with your engine manufacturer though, dont take my word. I dont have a 4 stroke outboard.
Old 19 May 2021, 21:03   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Oldman2, looks a nice piece of kit that is well engineered and very well made, but boy it looks big! When you use it are you just going out for the day?
Old 19 May 2021, 21:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Oldman2, looks a nice piece of kit that is well engineered and very well made, but boy it looks big! When you use it are you just going out for the day?

In reality its not much bigger than the outboard & takes much the same boot space the outboard would. Everything inc the boat and all the other kit has to fit in the boot/tailgate area. Its not too heavy so doesnt add much weight.
Here is another Rusky walk through which may give a better indication of size.

Old 19 May 2021, 21:22   #12

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Great job.....Very professional looking and I'm sure will be of interest to a few here..

Ordered the Fully Collapsible Outboard Trolley just under £100 (max 20Hp 55kg)..... but probably not as strong as yours, or as flexible because it doesn't give the option to assist loading into a vehicle.

I will have to see if I can mod it perhaps borrowing some of your ideas

Pikey Dave got one similar to this below approx £250 which is starting to head towards to cost of your manufactured one, but it also assists in loading. But as you quite rightly point out many vehicles don't have a flat load bay, so would need larger wheels or boot space raised.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/launchingwh...1363335&sr=8-8
Hi Brian, I have exactly the same trolley and have used it more this week than ever before due to my snapped transom wheel problem.
A few things to point out, make sure all the screws are tight (mine were loose) especially the plastic yoke where the OB clamps onto. Set the wheels as far apart as possible for stability. Don't over inflate or conversly under inflate the wheels (I've found softer in sand/small gravel and a little firmer on on concrete /cobbles)
I also don't think the trolley is suitable for storing the OB on, I don't think it is stable enough.
I'm still finding out what works best for me with regard to transport a heavy SIB and a heavy OB from garage to car and car to water. If I was you I'd wait to see how you use your SIB and figure out what is best for you using all the good info supplied on the forum.
Old 19 May 2021, 23:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Here is another Rusky walk through which may give a better indication of size.

Have to say this is honestly the first time in my life I've said to myself....... " I wish I could speak Russian"

Quote:
Hi Brian, I have exactly the same trolley and have used it more this week than ever before due to my snapped transom wheel problem.
A few things to point out, make sure all the screws are tight (mine were loose) especially the plastic yoke where the OB clamps onto. Set the wheels as far apart as possible for stability. Don't over inflate or conversly under inflate the wheels (I've found softer in sand/small gravel and a little firmer on on concrete /cobbles)
I also don't think the trolley is suitable for storing the OB on, I don't think it is stable enough.
I'm still finding out what works best for me with regard to transport a heavy SIB and a heavy OB from garage to car and car to water. If I was you I'd wait to see how you use your SIB and figure out what is best for you using all the good info supplied on the forum.
Cheers steve......I'll keep your experiences with the trolley in mind when everything comes. I know what you mean about not being sure yet how handling everything is going to work. Be a bit of trial and error I think.
Of course I'll be carrying a bit more weight.....and the boat and outboard will be a bit heavier too
Old 20 May 2021, 00:05   #14

"Have to say this is honestly the first time in my life I've said to myself....... " I wish I could speak Russian"

Your wish is my command, if subtitles will do. Just click the subtitles tab then the settings tab and choose your language from the list. Its a bit like Chinese English but better than nowt.
Old 09 September 2021, 12:17   #15

So I have had time on my hands lately to fettle when nobody is looking. I have addressed the problem of how to flush the outboard while leaving it attached to the trolley.
I have added some to this blog, just scroll down to "September update"

https://mikefettles.blogspot.com/2021/05/
Old 09 September 2021, 13:32   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A great read... beyond clever.
Old 11 September 2021, 17:22   #17

Town: bedlington
Engine: 25hp
I made this just roll it up to transom and hook on. No lifting. Another set of wheels is attached to engine transom mount (or whatever u call it) then it just rolls into back of car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	240680526_10224826361101624_2624968686564821408_n.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	138779  
Old 11 September 2021, 17:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve jones View Post
I made this just roll it up to transom and hook on. No lifting. Another set of wheels is attached to engine transom mount (or whatever u call it) then it just rolls into back of car

Yup, same but different Our Russian friends again, I did make one of those to start with but I was not happy with all the load on the bottom plate. That one suits more of a variety of engines though
Old 15 September 2021, 17:48   #19

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Quote:

I have the same trolley and one wheel unscrews and falls off if you push it, the other side falls off if you pull it! The bolts should have been threaded differently / been nylocked / not been bolts and instead used retaining pins. I've fiddled around and got it usable now but it was a bit frustrating when I first tried to roll my engine out to the car.

Other than that it is a bit wobbly but OK for my 18hp 2 stroke

Tags
yamaha