Old 30 October 2016, 21:09   #1

Winter Sibbing and dry suits?

I've kinda resigned myself to putting my sib away for winter as i do around this time every year.
As my sib is trailered, in theory it would be just as easy to access and launch during the winter months.
I've been considering purchasing a dry suit with a view to extending my Sibbing season for many years now?
Just wondering if anyone on here goes out in their sibs or small Ribs in the sea, suited up during the cold winter months.
I've been out a couple of times in years gone past on still calm frosty days to do a bit of fishing - after 4 hours i was glad to get back in the car to thaw out .
Just wondering if I should ask Santa for a dry suit and would I realistically get some use out if it......?
Old 30 October 2016, 21:58   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Get one with a convince zip is what I have been told!

I just ordered one from wetsuit outlet not tried it yet (more to get an idea of sizes) but most I have spoken too think they are great but worth buying a decent one as they keep you dry you can layer up as required underneath with base layers and jumpers as required so make sure it fits well when layered up
Old 30 October 2016, 22:41   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I have a typhoon one with neoprene neck seal instead of rubber and its great I couldn't get away with a latex neck but this is fine joggies thick socks and sweatshirt and I'm good for very cold days honestly get one you wont look back but try it on with warm clothing on to make sure you get the right size.this is the one I have
Old 31 October 2016, 08:48   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I've kinda resigned myself to putting my sib away for winter as i do around this time every year.
As my sib is trailered, in theory it would be just as easy to access and launch during the winter months.
I've been considering purchasing a dry suit with a view to extending my Sibbing season for many years now?
Just wondering if anyone on here goes out in their sibs or small Ribs in the sea, suited up during the cold winter months.
I've been out a couple of times in years gone past on still calm frosty days to do a bit of fishing - after 4 hours i was glad to get back in the car to thaw out .
Just wondering if I should ask Santa for a dry suit and would I realistically get some use out if it......?
hi kaman

i wear one all the time winter/ summer wouldnt be with out it being a diver both comercial & sport i supose its second nature but its by far the safest & warmest piece of kit in my opiniom.i up graded to a surface suit last year since the wife stopped coming out with me with front enrty zip no need for a convience zip because the zip goes right down to your waist get 2 mm neoprene neck & wrist seals also a pocket/s i got mine from seaskin aqualand in leeds its a suit made for the rescue services they measured me up to exactly how i wanted the suit [i have painfull shoulder joints so wanteded it to be doned easily]i went for a plastic zip this time to see how it stood up and it ok.i can wear mine for hours with no bother plenty of talc on the seals to stop chafe.
price was £425.00 for that my spec was
two tone suit to match the boat.
neoprene boots.
one pocket
refective tape
neoprene seals.
front entry zip [a must metal/plastic same price]
breathable material
i think they do them with a hood if required but do go and have it fitted where ever you buy from & you get what you pay for i bought an DUI years ago when working as a diver and i still have it after 26 years they are about £2000.00 now but cheap considering the life span.
under garments are important too plenty of layers to keep warm or a proper under suit.

cheers
Old 31 October 2016, 11:29   #5

Cheers guys.
I was looking to get sumthing for around the 500 quid mark.
There's no retailers near me though.
Jeff you recommended going in person to get measured?
From what I've seen online the suits are in the standard sizes in small medium large xxl are etc.
I was reckoning a XXL for my lardy frame.
Old 31 October 2016, 12:05   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Cheers guys.
I was looking to get sumthing for around the 500 quid mark.
There's no retailers near me though.
Jeff you recommended going in person to get measured?
From what I've seen online the suits are in the standard sizes in small medium large xxl are etc.
hi mate

i would get measured up so you get a suit thats comfy ive had about 30 suits all told and made to measure is best its alright buying off the peg but as you say us big lads dont always fit the size as with small folk small necks and wrists seals no fitting if your spending £500 you want it spot on you want to have a feel of it when i ordered mine i filled out thier on line chart with my measurements went to see the all measurments totally different.
ive spent thousans of hours sat in dry suits in water and as standby diver & in boats and it really matters to have it right you dont want to sit there with your crotch nipping your bo----ks all day or seals stopping your blood making your hands cold.

cheers
Old 31 October 2016, 12:11   #7

RIBase
ive a membrane suit still for sale look at my threads, if you want i could send it up to you no comitment to buy if you pay the post to try on to get an idea of what you need if that would help let me know.
http://www.seaskin.co.uk/ look on here where i got mine shows you how to measure & build your suit also costs it for you [delta surface suit comercial grade] one tip dont get boots with steel toe caps they are cold if you buy one

cheers
Old 31 October 2016, 13:05   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Its been a while since we met, but unless you've been eating pies every day since then, I don't think you'll need XXL.
Old 31 October 2016, 19:44   #9

Good to hear such positive reviews.
I'm definitely giving it serious consideration.*
Might ask Santa to bring me one.
My only concern is getting one that is a good fit.
Poly I've probably gone up a notch on my belt since I seen you last year.
Not too many pies but lack of exercise due to injury
Think I'll plump for a xxl (pardon the pun) just to be on the safe side and allow space for further expansion and to get a few layers of under garments on.
Old 31 October 2016, 20:36   #10

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
If you have a Go Outdoors or a Decathalon local they usually have Gull ones, which would give you a good sizing.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2016, 20:52   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
If you have a Go Outdoors or a Decathalon local they usually have Gull ones, which would give you a good sizing.
I've never seen a dry suit in what would be Kaman's local Decathlon. Never looked in Go Outdoors.
Old 31 October 2016, 21:10   #12

Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Poor Life Choices
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu 2 Strok
MMSI: 235085232
in terms of a dry suit keeping you warm its whats underneath that makes the difference, (might sound obvious) i have a polar bear suit from reed chill eater, and i used that suit to drive ribs in south Georgia and i kept me warm, and that place is cold!
Woolly Bear Undersuit - Reed Chillcheater

I have a trident dry suit with rubber boots for feet, i found the latex ones one wear out fast and i never had warm feet, regardless of socks because your over shoes, neoprene or otherwise get wet.
Old 31 October 2016, 22:39   #13

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersidemat View Post
in terms of a dry suit keeping you warm its whats underneath that makes the difference, (might sound obvious) i have a polar bear suit from reed chill eater, and i used that suit to drive ribs in south Georgia and i kept me warm, and that place is cold!
Woolly Bear Undersuit - Reed Chillcheater

I have a trident dry suit with rubber boots for feet, i found the latex ones one wear out fast and i never had warm feet, regardless of socks because your over shoes, neoprene or otherwise get wet.
We've a number of these, brand new, in the Dive club if any one wants one. £50 delivered and booties to match for a fiver.
Polar Bear, quilted, Large;
Polar Bear, Large;
C Bear 200 – Large

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2016, 18:55   #14

Cheers for the posts guys.
I ordered a drysuit today from wetsuit outlet.
Very helpful over the phone.
Bought a pair of Crew Saver boots to go with the suit too.

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2017...15-p-4859.html

Hopefully it will fit me and I don't need to send it back for a custom made number.
I went for the XXL as I'm 6ft 2 inches tall with a 38 / 40 inch waist.
Old 03 November 2016, 15:03   #15

Suit arrived today.
Fits perfect.
Excellent service from Wetsuit Outlet as well.
Happy with my purchase.
Old 03 November 2016, 18:44   #16

RIBase
Nice one mate you won't regret it cheers