Old 04 June 2017, 21:15   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Who's still on the PORTABLE 2 strokes?

Just wondering how many of you are still running a 2 stroke, given that they ceased being easily available new back in '06. Here's ours, she's a keeper I hope to keep her going for many more years. I wouldn't swap this engine for anything, bar a tohatsu 18Click image for larger version

Name:	20160213_152717.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	119813
Old 04 June 2017, 23:26   #2

For me the whole point of sibbing is being able to pack my boat and outboard away in the back of the car. My 2st weighs 34kg and that is the biggest lump I can carry any distance. And that, coupled with not understanding the mechanics of a 4 stroke is the reason I'll stick with what I've got. The fumes are only annoying for me if I'm puttering along at a slow pace, and I don't do that too often
Old 05 June 2017, 01:24   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
For me the whole point of sibbing is being able to pack my boat and outboard away in the back ńof the car. My 2st weighs 34kg and that is the biggest lump I can carry any distance. And that, coupled with not understanding the mechanics of a 4 stroke is the reason I'll stick with what I've got. The fumes are only annoying for me if I'm puttering along at a slow pace, and I don't do that too often
The mechanics are basically the same as most cars on the road.
Old 05 June 2017, 04:04   #4

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
I'm running an Evinrude 6 HP two 'smoker' on my Avon Rover 310 Aero. It's a great little outboard...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	119816

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	119815

Nothing against the current four stroke portable outboard offerings per se... Honda & Yamaha 8, 9.9 & 15 HP OB's are very nice units (as they rightly should be, considering the MSRP)... but I do prefer the lighter weight of a two stroke (my Evinrude 6 HP weighs a mere 56 lb's), and the fact that a two stroke is not particular about which way it's transported or stored. That, and the possibility of finding clean, well taken care of examples for about 1/3 the cost of a new four stroker.

At some point I'd like to find a clean Evinrude or Johnson 9.9 two stroke of a similar late 90's model year as my 6 HP, as it would be a bit more ideal power wise for when I've got passengers onboard. For the mean time, the little 6 HP gets up on plane just fine when I'm out fishing solo, which tends to be the majority of my outings.
Old 05 June 2017, 06:42   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I guess as posted in the SIB section this might be more aimed at the SIB crowd with sub-25 2-smokes?

I have the exact same engine (Merc branded) as you Simon and to my mind it's the perfect SIB motor bar none. I've looked at a lot of smaller 4 strokes this last week on hols on the Dart as considering a smaller set up for just river use but the 4 strokes are so huge and heavy (a 6 not far off my 15 in size/weight) that it doesn't make sense.

The 15 Merc/Mariner is beautifully made, the lightest 15 out there and for me the absolute limit of manageable weight/size in out of car/boat, built in gear/tiller design. built in 'one hand' tilt/lift/shallow water adjustment - and so easy to maintain. Being a 2 stoke the pick up from stand still is fantastic.

Like you the only downside is smoke/fumes when river cruising and a bit of noise compared to 4 strokes.
Old 05 June 2017, 06:54   #6

Hi Simon

I bought a brand new tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke off Gumtree last summer. There is a chap that imports them and sells them on. I am really happy with the engine and if looking for something around 10hp then I think it's hard to beat this engine in terms of weight v performance

However if needing more power, say around the 20hp then I'd personally prefer a new 4 stroke. They aren't much heavier (if at all?) than the 2 stroke equivalents and of course you have the advantage of the fuel economy and not needing 2 stroke oil

Cheers
Old 05 June 2017, 07:55   #7

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Current guardian of Fenlanders old mint 15hp Mercury TS, starts first pull, topped out at 19knots (solo Honwave 3.2) going up the Walton channel a fortnight ago, higher speeds mean less bow waves right? (Yachties at anchor shaking fists?)

Down side for me is the noise and then the smoke, unless going slow the smoke isn't a bother and there is always ear plugs for long blasts!

As I currently have to lug the outboard down/up a flight of stairs for storage I can't see me changing for a while yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20160411-WA0011.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	119817  
Old 05 June 2017, 08:13   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Glad to see you're keeping it polished Yaba... that was/is an exceptional example.

I think Max is right re this thread being largely aimed at the 25hp and below sibbers where weight is often crucial... and I think Duggie is right it depends on the HP you are considering.

If buying for the river or smaller lake use in the 4/6hp range I'd go 4 stroke every time as they are light enough and the advantages in the area of low noise/pollution are of even more benefit inland.

Get to 8/10hp and the weight of 4-strokes often jumps to around 39kg which would make me choose the 26kg Tohatsu 9.8hp every time.

Similarly at 15hp the 4-strokes are usually the same weight as their 20hp models at 44kg+ so a 34/36kg 15hp 2-stroke Mercury/Mariner/Yamaha makes more sense.

Get to 20hp though and my 44kg Suzuki is lighter than many of the 20hp 2-strokes which were often 47/51kg.
Old 05 June 2017, 14:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I guess as posted in the SIB section this might be more aimed at the SIB crowd with sub-25 2-smokes?...
Bingo... clearly there are two entirely different discussions happening in this thread. Perhaps the guy's with RIB's sporting 150 HP+ OB's didn't realize that this thread was started in the SIB forum and as you say, aimed at those of us running small portable outboards?
Old 05 June 2017, 14:33   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover310 View Post
Bingo... clearly there are two entirely different discussions happening in this thread. Perhaps the guy's with RIB's sporting 150 HP+ OB's didn't realize that this thread was started in the SIB forum and as you say, aimed at those of us running small portable outboards?

That's the problem with using the "Timeline" feature of the app, all the sections get mixed up. Normally I wouldn't visit the SIB section if I was using the browser version.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2017, 16:45   #11

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
Yep still have my mariner 15 2 stroke, had it from new and its been great, not done many hours and starts and runs spot on, like the idea of a four stroke for river use but difference in weight is not viable and the servicing on a 2 stroke makes it easier to live with, fuel consumption is a bit of a pain having to carry 25 litres for a day out
Old 05 June 2017, 20:15   #12

Well that escalated quickly[emoji50]

I guess that 4 strokes come into their own as soon as a boat is stored and launched from a trailer. But at that point I also wouldn't be using a sib any more, I'd be towing a rib for sure.
Old 05 June 2017, 21:44   #13

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
All my smaller engines on tenders, dinghies and small RIB's are 2 strokes of varying vintages, a couple of 2hp, a 5hp and a 30hp.

Larger engines we lastly had a Yam 115 4 stroke which I really loved, and now the Yanmar diesel.

Certainly for the smaller stuff I wouldn't change from 2 stroke at all - I love the portability, ease of slinging it down anywhere, simple servicing, etc. For the hours my small engines run, fuel economy makes no difference, so I'll run them until they stop or I can't cheaply fix them myself anymore!

I've never had a large 2 stroke, but did really get on with the 4 stroke Yam 115, and had superb service from it over 4 years of running year round, never missing a beat. I'd happily consider a large 4 stroke again on a future RIB. I do now love the Yanmar 6LP diesel, but it does take up a lot of space so needs a large boat, and whilst cruising it is pretty cheap fuel-wise, parts come fairly expensive when the need changing.
Old 06 June 2017, 19:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If willk doesn't beat me to it I will get the feather duster out tonight and tidy it up into two distinct threads... then we can have two arguments at once!

I was hoping an Admin or Mod would step in and split off all those reply posts pertaining to big horse power OB's, and other size related matters, into their own thread.

Should be obvious to other site members (non-sibber's) that the original intent for this thread was to have an intelligent discussion of small, portable two stroke OB's, particularly since the OP started it in the Inflatable Boat - SIB forum.

Mike
Old 06 June 2017, 20:40   #15

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Here is my input. Sub 25hp

I use to have a 9.8hp mercury and it was a cracking engine but as time went by and I sold engines/bought other bigger ones. I now come back to the issue of wanting another 10hp outboard at a good price. I couldn't find one for months.

So I ended up with a 9.8 parsun. I'm pleased with it. After around 4 hrs playing at sea with mainly high revs it used all of 3litres fuel! Incredible I thought.

It starts first pull.
It's quiet.
It idles all day and doesn't bog down.
It doesn't need oil mixing.

The downsides being it's weight at 37kg!
And the resting positions. But I don't mind that having a van it can go alot of ways and not bother me.

Name:	IMG_20170507_111442851.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	119877

If I could get a good 2 stroke for the price I wanted to pay. I would have bought one. But now I'd have to think twice before buying a 2stroke again. I'm a converted 4 stroke. And it's just cost £10 for some fresh oil so it's maintenance won't cost me anymore Vs the price of 2stroke oil.
Old 06 June 2017, 22:16   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover310 View Post
I was hoping an Admin or Mod would step in and split off all those reply posts pertaining to big horse power OB's, and other size related matters, into their own thread.
That has now been done (see here for fascinating banter on big 2 strokes! http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/big-2-s...t-h-75818.html) , as best as possible without getting too antsy about where posts than mentioned both belong. With so many to move its a PITA from the app so I had to wait till I was somewhere I could use the laptop and wifi. If there are major issues unfolding in future I would encourage you to use the report post tool which alerts all the mods to the problem. Unfortunately we all have actual jobs to do too.
Quote:
Should be obvious to other site members (non-sibber's) that the original intent for this thread was to have an intelligent discussion of small, portable two stroke OB's, particularly since the OP started it in the Inflatable Boat - SIB forum.
Something you learn quickly as a mod is otherpeople don't browse the forums in the same way as you - and especially in the app it isn't necessarily obvious which sub forum things are posted in. For that reason I have also modified the thread title.
Old 06 June 2017, 22:40   #17

Going back to my original post -

Tohatsu 18, very much sought after as they were the lightest most powerful 2 smokes made. I have had my eye on one for some time but it's set up for remotes. How much of a ball ache would it be to convert one back to tiller control? I guess the issue would be tracking down a tohatsu twist throttle tiller. Probably not worth the effort to gain an extra 3hp!
Old 07 June 2017, 06:31   #18

Town: Derby
Length: no boat
Looking for a 20hp ish 2 stroke set for remotes to go with the Aerotec I'll be picking up soon, as the OP said the low weight and portability are my key factors to fit with the whole stuff it in the boot of the car package.
Old 07 June 2017, 06:53   #19

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Don't bother with a 20 2 stroke - same bulk/weight as a 25 so either go light/portable with a 15 or go with the max allowable 25.

If a 15 then grab that Merc 15 in the ads at £995 - bargain for the best 15 to match an Aerotec.
Old 07 June 2017, 07:19   #20

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I have had two strokes for more years than I can remember. I hate the fumes off them especially when I flush them out in a bucket at home. Its generally good weather when I have to do that so windows are open. I know the inside of my house stinks with fumes after a five minute run..cold starting on choke..so I appreciate my immediate neighbour’s putting up with my filthy habit.

I have a lovely small Yamaha 6HP fourstroke ..weights a mere 3lb heavier than the Evinrude 6HP .. can be stored or transported on three sides and because of its designed ..it cant be accidentally sat on the fourth side. It uses less fuel than my Mariner 3.3HP two stroke.. is quieter and doesn’t stink the place up . So its a no brainer for me.

I also have a Mariner 25HP 2 stroke.. simply because I have had it for years..would have no problem replacing it with a four stroke when the time comes.

I can appreciate the advantage of weight in the 8HP – 15HP two stroke size..so if I needed something in that range..my neighbours would possibly have to put up with the pollution when flushing