Old 01 July 2020, 12:36   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Who here has these alloy launch wheels?

I did add a photo here but maybe its invisable until moderation to see its suitable. link here if thats allowed. Aluminium Launching Wheels 150kgs – Pacermarine

Hi, I recently saw photos on this forum of someone with these same mounts on their sib, I just bought the same and have some questions for anyone really who has experience of this set. Firstly they came with 2 M9? bolts and nylocks for the hinge point. I really dont want to have a pair of spanners with me every time I launch/recover/fold up so I guess I need to fit something like a drop nose pin? in that so the arm and wheel can come off quickly but be secure still. As 9mm is an odd size I am considering opening the slots and holes to 10mm so I have a tighter fitting pin. Only to be removed on shore so no need to tether it.
The mounting plates only have 6mm countersunk holes for transom fixing which considering they are rated to 150kg I thought a bit small. I would probably open them up to M8.
Before I fit them I may well drill another hole low down so when the wheels are down they can be secured in place with a 2nd drop nose pin to stop the wheel dropping out of lock if the boat is lifted over anything while on the beach.
I also bought a pair of sand hoppers to try as where I live beaches are pretty much all shingle & others are sand.
So the next problem is the alloy shafts are 20mm and the sand hoppers centers are 26mm so I need to either buy or make bushes to fill the gap. About now I hope Fenlander will pop in as he seems to be the "ive tried them all" wheels guy here

The allow shafts are wide enough for the hoppers, just need spacers 26x20 x55mm
The amount of threads I have searched through here in the last 24hrs, transom wheels almost needs a section of its own

MMS003543.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMS003543.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	133824  
Old 01 July 2020, 12:51   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ha ha... too right I've tried several transom leg brands... and "all" the wheel/tyres types.

Re diameter reduction there are many bushes but for a start the fifth one down 25mm-20mm might do?

https://www.castorswheels.uk/size/sh...SABEgLd-PD_BwE

I'm sure I've seen plastic ones too but can't find them just now.
Old 01 July 2020, 12:57   #3

Oh and not the best news as you already have the sandhoppers but the same folks do them with a 20mm bore in the drop down menu...

https://www.castors-online.co.uk/aca...60.html#SID=28
Old 01 July 2020, 13:01   #4

Ah yes here are the plastic reducing bushes... 25.4 down to 20.2mm...

https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/1-20mm-reducing-bush.html
Old 01 July 2020, 13:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ah yes here are the plastic reducing bushes... 25.4 down to 20.2mm...

https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/1-20mm-reducing-bush.html

I had found some solid 30mm nylon rod and some 25mm x 15mm alloy tube and was contemplating firing up the myford lathe but your link saved me the bother thank you. Wasnt keen on the post charge which was more than the 4 bushes but hey ho my bad for not knowing in advance the size of the shafts.
Old 01 July 2020, 18:33   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
I had found some solid 30mm nylon rod and some 25mm x 15mm alloy tube and was contemplating firing up the myford lathe but your link saved me the bother thank you. Wasnt keen on the post charge which was more than the 4 bushes but hey ho my bad for not knowing in advance the size of the shafts.

Just out of curiosity, which Myford are you the proud owner of?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2020, 19:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just out of curiosity, which Myford are you the proud owner of?

If I remember right its a 1953 ML7. I have owned it for more than 20yrs, the guy I got it from used it for wood turning so I had to strip it to nothing and wash everything in diesel to get the sawdust out of it before I could use it.
Old 01 July 2020, 22:22   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
If I remember right its a 1953 ML7. I have owned it for more than 20yrs, the guy I got it from used it for wood turning so I had to strip it to nothing and wash everything in diesel to get the sawdust out of it before I could use it.

[emoji106] I’m on the lookout for a super 7 with a metric gearbox if you hear of one.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2020, 05:17   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
They feature heavily in my Ebay searches but I'd really quite like one with a milling attachment.

Apologies for the thread (metric and imperial) creep.
Old 02 July 2020, 05:58   #10

Mine has a vertical milling slide, like the lathe its underused but thats my fault, too many time consuming hobbies.
So enough thread creep , anyone recognize this boat? It has the alloy legs on and is a member here though I dont know who he is yet.

pacer.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacer.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	133870  
Old 02 July 2020, 06:57   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
anyone recognize this boat? It has the alloy legs on and is a member here though I dont know who he is yet.

pacer.jpg
Hi Oldman2 .. I may be wrong as I don’t have my glasses on at the moment ..but I think I recognise the silver car and home made trailer in the background . I also suspect the photo was taken at Port Logan ?. The red fishing rod looks kind of familiar too but i don’t recognise the blue one … however it might be his fathers ?

As such ... Try sending Kaman a PM as I think it was his Honwave..he no longer has it though as that was quite a few years ago. He is also the only person I know who made an AUX mount and attached a fixed VHF aerial. He might reply to a PM but he does not often go round forums now .. I did notice he was here last week though ....if not.. I will possibly see him next week and tell him you were trying to get him.

I cant help with transom wheel questions though.. as I don’t use them

Hope that help some
Old 02 July 2020, 08:00   #12

Spot on Sir, thats the member, thank you.

I have sent kaman a pm. From reading some of his earlier posts it seems he was happy enough with the alloy wheel mounts that he made another set of transom fittings to have them swopable between 2 of his boats. It was just the small black wheels he kept getting punctures in that he disliked. I bought some sand hoppers for mine (shingle beaches) balloons are out of reach both pocket and storage wise.
Old 04 July 2020, 11:39   #13

Hi Oldman. That is my old Honwave T3.5ae. The wheels in question are indeed the same ones as yours. Never had a problem with the actual wheel brackets or leg's. Did get a good few punctures with the original tyres but this was down to the inner tube rubber perishing.
I changed them to larger barrow sized wheels and never had an issue.
I did have a trailer and used a 4x4 to get the Sib as close to the water as possible which greatly reduced the work done by the wheels.
I had a 52kg Tohatsu 4 stroke on the T3.5ae transom
As they are aluminium they are not the strongest on the market. Treat them kindly and they should do the job OK.
Old 04 July 2020, 16:13   #14

Thanks Kaman, I think they may have skimped a little since you bought yours on the fixings. The 2 fixing holes to the transom on each leg are just M6 when I think yours were M8 and I will be opening mine out to M8 too as I really dont think 6mm is enough for the job. The bolts connecting the 2 swivel parts are now M9 which is a drop from the M10 ones in yours. Strong enough but hardly "off the shelf" sizing, they may end up opened out to take M10 too.
Only alloy but I think you would be very unlucky to damage them with a 28kg outboard on a 40kg sib over beach ground.