Old 09 November 2021, 11:26   #1

Town: barnsley
Make: excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp ob
RIBase
Which sib

I everyone time for new boat question is honwave or excel alloy sectioal flooring and approx 4m minimum 20hp 4 st any recommendations please
Regards Johnyp
Old 09 November 2021, 12:42   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyp View Post
Hi contemplating a honwave or excel between 3.65 and 4.m 15 to 20 hp
what are you opinions please
regards
johnyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyp View Post
I everyone time for new boat question is honwave or excel alloy sectioal flooring and approx 4m minimum 20hp 4 st any recommendations please
Regards Johnyp
Hi Johnyp this is an oft-asked question. Search facility turns up many useful responses.
Old 09 November 2021, 21:41   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Johnyp. I think you will probably get a those with a Honwave T40 AE saying Honwave is the way to go and those with an Excel Vangaurd XHD395 saying Excel is the way to go.
I have seen and talked to owners of both (never been in either) and from what I have seen and heard, both are excellent if that is the type of sib you need.
The Honwave is slightly heavier, the Excel is slightly wider (int), the Honwave is slightly longer (int), the Honwave comes in one colour, the Excel comes in a choice of colours - I think your own personal wants/needs and emotions will help make the decision.
IMO if a 4m ally sib is what you want, I don't think you would go wrong with either.
Old 12 November 2021, 21:06   #4

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
Having owned both makes, I would agree with Steve.

Few factors to consider:
Only one seat with the Honwave (you have to pay for the second one) so factor this into pricing if required.

Warranty Honwave 2 year (return to local dealer) Excel 5 year return to Excel. (so one has a longer warranty but the other is easier to get service through a local dealer)

Styling is completely different between the two, the Honwave has that modern look, but the Excel has the traditional proven layout

Colour, Honwave only comes in one colour and the Excel has multi colour options.

While I own two Excels and previously owned Honwaves I have tried to not let any brand biast effect my advice.
Old 13 November 2021, 17:01   #5

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I’ve had both and with any 4 meter sib a 25hp is best the 20 hp is slightly under powered in my opinion I would probably go for the Honda if the dealer is near you with the warranty.
But the excel does offer different colours but I would definitely say you would need a trailer for the 4 meter which ever you choose all the best in your purchase
Old 13 November 2021, 19:19   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
I’ve had both and with any 4 meter sib a 25hp is best the 20 hp is slightly under powered in my opinion I would probably go for the Honda if the dealer is near you with the warranty.
But the excel does offer different colours but I would definitely say you would need a trailer for the 4 meter which ever you choose all the best in your purchase
Thank you
Old 13 November 2021, 19:22   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dydigital View Post
Having owned both makes, I would agree with Steve.

Few factors to consider:
Only one seat with the Honwave (you have to pay for the second one) so factor this into pricing if required.

Warranty Honwave 2 year (return to local dealer) Excel 5 year return to Excel. (so one has a longer warranty but the other is easier to get service through a local dealer)

Styling is completely different between the two, the Honwave has that modern look, but the Excel has the traditional proven layout

Colour, Honwave only comes in one colour and the Excel has multi colour options.

While I own two Excels and previously owned Honwaves I have tried to not let any brand biast effect my advice.
Thank you
Old 13 November 2021, 22:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Hi HH, how did it go at Ulleswater? Sorry I couldn't make it, I felt Sh1T that weekend so much so I ended up going for a PCR. Negative

You still got your T40?
Old 17 November 2021, 13:08   #9

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi HH, how did it go at Ulleswater? Sorry I couldn't make it, I felt Sh1T that weekend so much so I ended up going for a PCR. Negative

You still got your T40?

Hi Steve went well thanks. How did you get on with your outboard engine with the repair??.

As for the boat you will have to wait until next year to see what I have that the magical of been able to choose from all the different types that are available then you know how they preform 🤣🤣

The honwave has heat sealed seems where as the excel is glued the honwave has some good improvements but they have changed some parts that are not very friendly user parts ie they have removed the rope eyes along the top and put in stupid handles but got rid of some of trim plate at the back which has stopped splashing back up to the transom.

The excel is a good boat but has some issues with getting on the plain which I have experienced myself with two boats I have heard from other people that this has also happened but other people have had know problems getting on the plain at all so Honda did have some issues with parts not aligning properly it happened to me with a honwave as well where it was sent back under warranty and replaced so ever manufacturer does get problems now and then depending on who watching quality control at the time
Old 17 November 2021, 14:01   #10

Repairs went well, Barus/Mercury Technical Support & Warranty (one guy in particular) pulled out all the stops to ensure the parts and the repair happened smoothly and before I went on holiday.

Full report here:-

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/mercur...t-86870-2.html

I'll be looking forward to a less eventful SIB trip next year

Tags
sib