Old 04 August 2021, 22:15   #1

Town: Handforth, Wilmslow
Length: 3m +
Where to test or launch in the North West

Hello guys

This is my first post , probably of many ... Lol

I have just finished my zodiac futura restoration and now Im looking for somewhere to test the craft before I travel to Scotland in a few weeks to loch Lomond.

So my question is can anyone point me in the right direction to carry out a test of the boat and engine. Local to Manchester I don't mind traveling to say Wales or up the coast but really want to keep travel down to a minimum really for the test.

Thank you in advance

Kindly

Craig
Old 05 August 2021, 06:44   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following site useful as a quick look suggests a few potential locations in your neck of the woods.

https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/
Old 05 August 2021, 07:36   #3

Thanks for the reply Guyc, I have had a good study of boat launch website. Looking for anyone who is local on the site to advise any quiet safe spots in the north west. That you have used yourself

Kindly Craig
Old 05 August 2021, 08:05   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
You can use hollingworth Lake for an engine test. Ring and book a slot no speed restriction for test

Knott end at Fleetwood will be close. The slip is tricky and there are mud banks but the channels are marked to get you to clear water
Old 05 August 2021, 08:25   #5

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following site useful as a quick look suggests a few potential locations in your neck of the woods.

https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

Thats a fair first indication of whats available in an area but I would suggest making further inquiries with locals is a must before traveling to use. 2 sites local to me were giving out of date info when I just looked.
Old 05 August 2021, 17:04   #6

Thank you for your responses guys , I have emailed hollingworth Lake unfortunately they have no availablity untill September.

So I guess a slipway to the sea is the next option. Anyone have any more places I have also tried sale water park but they said they do not allow public engine tests.

Kindly

Craig
Old 05 August 2021, 18:37   #7

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Engine: 200hp
Frodsham watersports worth a call. On the river. I'm in abersoch North Wales currently and the weather is not suitable for boating until well into next week! Gale force winds and rain, so a river might be more sensible if you are testing the boat/engine
Old 05 August 2021, 18:51   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

Not sure how much boating you've done or done in the sea, but the North West isn't exactly blessed with an abundance of places to easily launch in the sea.

My advise would be to travel a bit further than you would like and either go to Ty Calch (North Wales) or launch at Ulleswater. Probably about the same distance in terms of time.

If I was testing a setup I'd probably go for Ulleswater, yes there is a speed limit, but if you are sensible and find a quiet'ish spot usually between Howtown and Pooley Bridge on the east side of the water, you can test your OB. I'd launch at Glenridding, lots of parking, facilities and easy to launch - you would have to get there early, especially if it's a nice day or at the weekend.
Old 06 August 2021, 07:11   #9

Thank you guys for the recommendations, this is my first powered boat, I was member at sail dingy club in my teens. And used to go out with my late father at Colwyn.

I have a radar reflector for the sea but for the test would rather it be calm waters

Regards

Craig
Old 06 August 2021, 07:50   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
So it's not just a test of your set up, it's your maiden voyage personally I wouldn't even consider a maiden voyage in the sea if you have the Lakes so close to you.

If you do a search on the forum for Ulleswater, you will find a few posts about newbies (including myself) Good place to learn from the many mistakes you will make.
Old 06 August 2021, 08:46   #11

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
If you are going to go up to the lakes then Coniston is worth a look. A few spots on the lake road you could park up and launch from. Also Coniston boating center has a proper slipway, designated car park, toilets, cafe etc and should anything go wrong or you needed assistance the park lads there would help/advise and there is a boat warden patrolling to assist
Old 06 August 2021, 16:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
Frodsham watersports worth a call. On the river. I'm in abersoch North Wales currently and the weather is not suitable for boating until well into next week! Gale force winds and rain, so a river might be more sensible if you are testing the boat/engine
Spoke to the lad on the phone earlier sounds great and I've driven over that river so many times and only an hour away hoping to get down on Sunday.

Also thank you to everyone for the warm welcome I will get a thread up of my boat and myself soon.

Regards

Craig
Old 16 August 2021, 10:59   #13

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
NW launch.

So my question is can anyone point me in the right direction to carry out a test of the boat and engine. Local to Manchester I don't mind traveling to say Wales or up the coast but really want to keep travel down to a minimum really for the test.

Thank you in advance

Kindly

Craig[/QUOTE]

You can launch at Sale water park for engine test. I don’t think speed is an issue as jet ski’s use the lower section of the lake. Info easily found online and minutes from you.
Old 10 October 2021, 14:35   #14

Town: alderley edge
Make: Avon,Picton,Orkney
Engine: marine outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post

I recce that slipway a couple of weeks ago before i launched one of my sibs the following week and was astounded by the price guy running the place told me, £40 !

It just smells of profiteering at that price and can understand how they can get away with charging that amount as its the only slipway on the west end of the weaver where there is a longish stretch of river (1 hour+ cruising ) before you hit Dutton Locks.

Anway, I ended up taking one of my smaller 3.1m sibs instead of my 4m Avon which needs trailer launching so my Bark cost nothing to launch outside Runcorn Canoe Club where the stone bank goes down nice and low to within 40cm-ish of the water level.

When i went There was enough room to drive right up to the water's edge unpack my sib and set it up then easily slip it off the bank. There's also plenty of free parking to boot and as i went on a workday ,we ended up having the weaver to ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211003_121529.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	139031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211003_120255.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	139032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211005_143241.jpg
Views:	82