Old 18 May 2020, 04:17   #1

Town: Montana
Boat name: MarkII
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
What size motor on Zodiac Mark II

I recently inherited a Zodiac Mark II from my grandfather. The boat is rated for up to a 55hp motor I believe. My grandfather ran a 35hp motor on it and said that was plenty. I’ll mainly be using it on lakes for fishing and hunting. I could have it at capacity on hunting trips. What would you suggest for an engine? I’ll mainly be setting it up in the boat ramp so that I can take the boat with truck and camper trailer. The boat is 4.2m long
Old 18 May 2020, 14:24   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Chances are this MKII will be matched for short shaft outboards. Some of the newer Zodiacs (Futura for example) have oversized tubes and need a long shaft.

I used to run a MKII CGT and it was perfect with a Yamaha 2-stroke 25hp, with two in the boat. If you're running on freshwater lakes there might be restrictions on older 2-strokes so worth checking that out first.

Back to the engine, manhandling a 25hp 2-stroke, just under 50kg is possible if you have trailer and can get close to the water's edge. The Zodiac can be a bit flighty with just one up, so distribute your kit up front to keep the bow down.

If it's got an aluminium floor, then when you're building it, then run a ratchet strap under the floor section nearest the transom to secure the fuel tank. They have a habit of moving when underway.
Old 18 May 2020, 14:47   #3

Town: kansas city
I would go smaller for a few reasons.
1) if you are lifting it onto and securing it to the transom each time you take it out, you're going to want a light motor that is easy to lift and clamps on.
2) smaller the motor, less fuel necessary for those trips.
3) It sounds like this boat is an older one, as such i would be very hesitant to hang a very heavy outboard on the back for fear of the transom pulling away from the tubes with 20+ year old glue.
Old 18 May 2020, 15:06   #4

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by brveagle View Post
2) smaller the motor, less fuel necessary for those trips.
I would entirely disagree with that. He saying it’s going to be loaded up, labouring a small engine will chew up just as much fuel as a larger motor running at half throttle.

I’d also add, there is a big deal made out of “man handling” outboards around the place, it’s completely personal choice. I’d happily lug around a 30/40 2 stroke at 50/60kg myself no problem. Given the choice with that size/weight zodiac and loaded up with kit I’d have a 50hp as long as there was 2 of you. (Again 2 stroke 70/80kgs). Only way you can judge is if you can get in front of a few motor and try swinging them about.
Old 18 May 2020, 15:43   #5

Thanks for the replies

It will indeed require a short shaft

It has a wood floor, but I definitely plan on installing a strap to hold down the fuel tank

Luckily in my state we can still run old motors. The trouble is finding a large older outboard with a short shaft

I will be launching the boat at boat launches, so I can get the truck right to the waters edge. At this time, I’m not planning on getting a trailer. I travel a lot of gravel roads to get to lakes, and I’m not sure about gravel kicking up from the truck and hitting the bottom of the boat

A lighter motor would definitely be a plus. One of the lakes that I plan on hunting is quite large and the wind can come up and turn the water rough in a hurry. A larger motor would allow me to get off the water more quickly

The glue is 35 years old and I’ve had to sand some of it off and repair it. I’m currently using Stabond to repair. Is this the best option?

Would a 50hp motor be too big for one person though? I’m not sure that I can always find a buddy to go with me. The times I would be fully loaded would be after I harvested an animal and was returning with all the meat and gear. Otherwise I’d be at least 180kg under the max weight. And it would only be a couple of times a year, but it would be on Fort Peck Reservoir which is the largest body of water in the state of Montana, USA
Old 18 May 2020, 16:40   #6

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I think you are in the same pickle many find themselves in. In my opinion you can’t have too much hp if you are filling your boat or going it alone. But my opinion doesn’t factor in a ramp build. Unless you get a hitch hoist. Harbor freight has the hoist and other online sellers have the hitch with matching mounting plate.
Back in the day (1975) I hand carried my 30 hp now the newer motors take 2. My 60 takes just 1 and a hoist. (260lbs)
I build in spring and trailer all summer then put away. Inc folding trailer.
Here is the process I perform once a year. It takes just over 1 hr.
https://youtu.be/4bUkdRAqGOU
Old 18 May 2020, 18:15   #7

Pagick, very nice setup that you have there. Thanks for the reply. A hoist that goes into my hitch might be the answer. I’ll probably be messaging you about some of the things that you did on your boat.
Old 19 May 2020, 03:29   #8

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Are you sure your transom and hull are rated for a 55? That HP is F470 range.

Cheers
Old 19 May 2020, 03:40   #9

https://imgur.com/a/kpMCyU8

On the tag it looks like it is rated to 50hp.

How are the Tohatsu motors? They make a 50 hp 2 stroke and the weight is very attractive
Old 19 May 2020, 04:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Boat View Post
Are you sure your transom and hull are rated for a 55? That HP is F470 range.

Cheers
My dealer said no problem. The 60 is the same as a 40 weight wise. Just different software. At full out with one it’s extremely stable. I’m at year 3 and no transom separation.
Old 19 May 2020, 14:39   #11

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
My dealer said no problem. The 60 is the same as a 40 weight wise. Just different software. At full out with one it’s extremely stable. I’m at year 3 and no transom separation.

Wow, your right. somehow I thought your dealing with a more vintege mark 2.

Cheers
Old 19 May 2020, 15:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Boat View Post
Wow, your right. somehow I thought your dealing with a more vintege mark 2.

Cheers
oops I think I posted a response aimed at the original poster. I thought it was a comment on my over powered sib. Apologies for any confusion.
Old 19 May 2020, 16:10   #13

Quote:
oops I think I posted a response aimed at the original poster. I thought it was a comment on my over powered sib. Apologies for any confusion.
I think my boat is rated for up to 55 hp because it is on the plaque on the transom. Am I correct in thinking this?
Old 19 May 2020, 16:46   #14

In addition to hp it should list max weight of the outboard. Newer outboards weight more than they use to. This could be a problem getting an outboard with max hp if your boat is old enough.
Old 19 May 2020, 17:10   #15

Quote:
In addition to hp it should list max weight of the outboard. Newer outboards weight more than they use to. This could be a problem getting an outboard with max hp if your boat is old enough.
https://imgur.com/a/PIewd07
I don’t see a maximum motor weight in the manual. Any idea where I might find this information?

Tags
zodiac