Old 02 August 2022, 12:11   #1

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
What SIB/RIB?

Hi all...

I own a Yam 310sti with 8hp Yam (as detailed elsewhere on the forum). I'll be keeping the 8hp...

However, I am considering something a little bigger for next year. (Ill be purchasing during the winter so hoping to get a better price then. I'll sell the 310 next Spring. )

So... Requirements are:

Reasonable space for up to 4, but the option to carry 6 occasionally. However, much of the useage will be just 2 of us, possibly with camping gear.

Not sure whether to go for a small RIB or a SIB.... Think the former is better on the water, but the latter easier for storage etc.

Useage will be river, lake, lochs etc. However, im also looking at taking my Day Skipper ticket and want to get into the sort of thing that Donny gets up to, but I currently dont have Donny's seamanship skills, as my boating has been predominantly lake based.

So finally... Budget. This is something i can be a bit flexible on. I want the sort of performance Donny gets from his set up, though happy to accept a reduction in speed etc. When fully laden...

Trailers are no issue (I have a class 1 HGV licence) and have towed boats many times before. I dont want to spend silly money..

Do peeps think a budget of around £5k would buy something reasonable?

All thoughts, advice and comments welcomed.

Cheers
Old 03 August 2022, 18:04   #2

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
For me if your going to trailer a boat then you may as well get a RIB.
Old 03 August 2022, 22:17   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
First thing to decide is storage & trailer, if you have suitable storage space & your ok with trailering then a rib is the best bet. A rib will outperform a sib in every way apart from storage transport & cost sibs are easier to transport as they can fold up & go in the boot & are considerably cheaper to buy. After that you need to decide if you want new or used. 5k gives plenty of options for used boats but depending on size & how fast you want to go may be a bit tight for new.
Just as an example for 5k you could buy a reasonable used avon sr4 on a trailer with a decent engine ready to use which would be a big jump from what you have but buying new you'd struggle to put together a 3m ish aly hull rib with 9.9-15hp outboard & trailer for the same 5k

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app

Tags
rib, sib