Old 10 November 2014, 11:20   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
What SIB package

Hi all,

I have a friend who wants to buy a SIB/RIB for pootling around Poole harbour, and occasional trips into Studland when conditions allow. It would be for him, his wife and 2 kids (6 and 10)

He has a budget of £1500 max, and wants around a 3.5m with an engine that will enable the boat to plane. Launching would likely be from a beach of public slipway. The key is budget boating here.

Personally I like solid floors, and would say he needs some seating rather than having the kids on the tubes, and the bigger the better but storage in a drive/small garage is the limiting factor to going to a RIB/SIB much over 4m

Any suggestions as to what would be best package for that kind of money?

Cheers, Andy
Old 10 November 2014, 11:56   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'd be looking for Sr4s over the winter.. retro seating seats four, capable, easy to launch, cheap to run and store.
Old 10 November 2014, 14:44   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Johnny5vikk of this parish has this on eBay at the moment;
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=331373097778
Old 10 November 2014, 15:52   #4

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
I bought one of these back in the summer as i was new to boating and had a similar budget. Mine has a plywood floor.

Used it several times up and down the river dart in devon with 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 7. Great fun and very good quality compared to other makes. Roughly 1/2 an hour to set up and dismantle.

Buy Hydro-Force Mirovia Pro RIB Inflatable Boat. Online Shop for Inflatable Boats at thisisitstores.co.uk

Most on here will probably think its crap but i was very impressed with it and cant wait to use it again!

Paul
Old 10 November 2014, 16:13   #5

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
Honwave

Thanks chipko for the plug. There are some very nice people on this forum.
Old 10 November 2014, 16:22   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
That is a pretty small budget for a boat and they will probably wind up with a SIB.

I would recommend having them read this thread.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html

The other question is trailer or no trailer? Trailers are nice in that the boat is always ready to go. Saving time at the ramp with kids around would be good too. Ansy on the way out, and tired on the way home. 4m+ is better for 4 people, but budget may wrangle in the length.
Old 10 November 2014, 17:55   #7

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
having done poole id reccomend a rib over a sib nice sr4 cheap as chips and capable enough to get over that lumpy bit just outside the harbour .old harry bournemouth mudeford the needles all doable .. now sibs having had both a hard and air floor i found the air floors bent with the waves allowing a better ride
Old 12 November 2014, 08:03   #8

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I think it is more to do with where you use the boat and the weight it is to carry. The Hydro Force that Paul Sparkes has bought would be fine in my part of the world on the Humber estuary, but perhaps under gunned in some other areas not saying for one second that this boat is poor because most of the boats are made in the same factories in China and represent good value for money.
If the budget is a certain amount, look for a decent second hand boat like the one jonny5vikk is selling as it is a really nice package and will do you well.
Whatever the package is that you buy, do NOT go outside your or the boats capabilities in order to enjoy this great pass time. I am not one for the rough stuff being an old tart but nevertheless I really enjoy taking the family out on good days or on the local river for a picnic or a spot of pike fishing.
What ever boat you buy, pick good conditions to go out in so you can learn about the boat and how it handles and at the same time gain experience on the water.
Good luck and enjoy.

Phil