Old 31 January 2021, 10:11   #1

Length: 3m +
What’s the best chart plotter app

Hi All, I’d appreciate a point of view on the best chart plotter app for the iPhone/iPad - from what I’ve read Navionics and iNavX are popular? Many thanks, Chris
Old 01 February 2021, 13:32   #2

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
I've spent the last week learning the Navionics app on my iPhone - it pretty simple and the odd search online gave me the answers to a few things I was stuck on. It works really well - the app was free and the subscription was about £36 - think it's going to be well worth it. You get a 15 day free trail and can download maps of your local area.

I was looking at pretty expensive Garmin GPSMAPs until I realised that iPhones had a proper GPS chip built into them and would work outside of cellular/wifi range.
Old 01 February 2021, 14:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
I've spent the last week learning the Navionics app on my iPhone - it pretty simple and the odd search online gave me the answers to a few things I was stuck on. It works really well - the app was free and the subscription was about £36 - think it's going to be well worth it. You get a 15 day free trail and can download maps of your local area.

I was looking at pretty expensive Garmin GPSMAPs until I realised that iPhones had a proper GPS chip built into them and would work outside of cellular/wifi range.

Many thanks - I am leaning towards Navionics
Old 01 February 2021, 14:08   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Navionics. It's the same cartography used in their product that you can install on just about every chart plotter these days. I use it a lot for passage planning on the big boat I run, I can then wizz routes/waypoints over to the onboard Raymarine system by wifi.

Also handy for planning Searider adventures, and it's nice to know I've always got a backup means of navigation in my pocket eg my phone. And yes, it will work everywhere (regardless of cellular range) - see the attached screen shot mid Pacific! (Note only ipads with a sim card slot have GPS built in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54730630_10100102399994251_5164569118262689792_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	136204  
Old 01 February 2021, 18:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Navionics. It's the same cartography used in their product that you can install on just about every chart plotter these days. I use it a lot for passage planning on the big boat I run, I can then wizz routes/waypoints over to the onboard Raymarine system by wifi.

Also handy for planning Searider adventures, and it's nice to know I've always got a backup means of navigation in my pocket eg my phone. And yes, it will work everywhere (regardless of cellular range) - see the attached screen shot mid Pacific! (Note only ipads with a sim card slot have GPS built in)

Many thanks. I am going to download it now