Old 09 July 2011, 12:16   #41

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I'm guessing then that a small pony bottle would keep her topped up for a good while
It would work very nicely, Karl is bound to have an old one lying around somewhere.

You could tape up the PRVs and paint it with some white gloss though?
Old 09 July 2011, 12:43   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I'm guessing then that a small pony bottle would keep her topped up for a good while
3 litres at 232BAR = 700 litres/24.5Cu.ft approx. Not a huge amount of air but I've noticed when filling that the tubes take a while to fill (i.e. 1BAR) and the final pressure is achieved very quickly thereafter.
Old 09 July 2011, 18:08   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Thanks to the input here I have revisited the Pelicase and managed (without removing anything) to add a PVC survival bag, some wire and electrical connectors and a diver's slate and attached pencil. Just the couple of tools to go and I'm done.
I'm not as space restricted as you (nor do I need to remove everything every time the boat comes out) but my typical day out is not dissimilar. Rather than Peliboxes I used two of tesco's (or similar) solid plastic "lunch" boxes (prob 2L each?). One holds tools, bits and bobs, small bits of rope, tape, cable ties etc. The other holds my mini rocket flares, first aid kit, compass, spare batteries and AA adaptor for VHF (my gps and torch also take AAs), spare kill cord, an extra knife (there is one in the tool box). I try not to open this box - as of course you take stuff out and it doesn't get restocked. There should be a small "Bothy Bag" (KISU) in there too which is much more effective than a plastic survival bag in my experience - and has room for 2-3 people... ...but I 'borrowed it' for a trip on land months ago and forgot to put it back.

The tool box gets opened frequently. The clear boxes are quite good for finding small stuff at the bottom.

Apart from all your "blowy up boat stuff" that I don't need to carry - I don't bother with the fuel primer bulb or EAR mask, but I understand why you might want them (is it possible to use gravity to feed your engine - even if a bit awkwardly to get ashore?). Perhaps a smaller "Faceshield" rather than a full mask would be easier to pack? Resuscitation Face Shield Without Mouthpiece - Foil Wrapped - MS First

The one thing I don't carry but keep thinking I should is a spare prop and prop spanner. Probably with the spare prop on the transom like an RNLI D-class?

Do you have pre-mix or do you always top up the oil before you go out? The yamaha goes into limp home mode if it gets low on oil (it still has at least an hour left at that point) - so I carry spare oil and funnel (as well as spare fuel) which all takes up quite a bit of space.
Old 09 July 2011, 21:06   #44

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
As promised yesterday,
1st pic basic kit ,
Flares ,Folding bucket, Sea anchor drouge, spare prop, Throw bag,First aid kit and pocket resusitator,monocular ,Torch and combined strobe light, Vhf Radio , Compass that fits in bracket on sponson , knife .

2nd pic Extended kit ,
Man overboard recovery strop and blocks,, Headtorch, Nav lights white allaround - Red /Green bi light with spare batterys, radar reflector , fire extiguisher , Survival bag , inflatable bouy , spare compass, fog horn , chart .

3rd pic ,,Engine tool kit and spares ,
Wd 40 spray smallest can,Fuel bulb,spare plugs and correct feeler guage , gaffer tape wrapped around red container ,spare kill cord , box with odd screws nuts /bolt /washers and pipe for sleeving fuel hose /sand paper /hacksaw blade ,.,insulating tape, rubber tube , tools ,decent spanner, Spare impeller,wood bung,,long nose pliers that i find usefull for getting into tight areas that normal pliers wont let you .

4th pic Anchor box ,

5th pic
and i wasent joking about the Rocket line and basket stretcher ,,lol.
regards to all ,mart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	60732   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	60733   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	60734   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	60735   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	60736  

Old 09 July 2011, 21:51   #45
RIBnet Supporter

Thanks for the pics Mart - that's an impressive list of stuff! Exactly how big is the SIB?

I presume that the stretcher is for carrying all the kit on?

I like the line thrower... I wonder could one be modified to deliver a more intimidating package?

I'm thinking about jetskis
Old 10 July 2011, 06:23   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I carry spare oil and funnel (as well as spare fuel) which all takes up quite a bit of space.
One of the gearbox oil bottles with the extending snout spout would save you the need for two funnels perhaps?
Old 10 July 2011, 06:27   #47

Quote:
Perhaps a smaller "Faceshield" rather than a full mask would be easier to pack?
The larger ones come into their own if you end up doing CPR for a prolonged periods, since there is no upper limit at which you stop being able to comfortably keep up the good work for a few minutes longer could make all the difference.

The plastic sheet type end up getting in the way before too long, whereas the larger version has elastic to go round the back of the casualty's head and they can also take a balloon and oxygen if available.
Old 10 July 2011, 23:29   #48

Quote:
Thanks for the pics Mart - that's an impressive list of stuff! Exactly how big is the SIB?

I presume that the stretcher is for carrying all the kit on?

:
Hi wilk , Boat is 3.5 metre long ,

Stretcher,s for the wife so i can get her home after a night out ,,lol,
mart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	redcar 08 069.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	60765  
Old 11 July 2011, 00:14   #49
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
One of the gearbox oil bottles with the extending snout spout would save you the need for two funnels perhaps?
Not on a sib, but a useful space saver I guess-I keep a half litre coke bottle precharged with the right amount of oil for a tankful of premix. A drink bottle with the bottom cut off with a knife makes for a handy impromptu funnel as well-and I've always got a bottle of Lucozade onboard as it's a good boost if I'm getting fatigued in rough weather.

I also carry one of these waterproof tubes of these glucose tablets in my flare pack for the same reason. If someone throws up they get tired very fast on a totally empty stomach-even if they aren't feeling ill afterwards.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2011, 06:58   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I also carry one of these waterproof tubes of glucose tablets in my flare pack for the same reason.
I have similar for the same reason, but mine are branded Royal Marine Commandos.

I did have some "not for civvies" Yorky bars, but some skate scoffed the lot!
Old 11 July 2011, 07:10   #51

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Just came across this thread, it is excellent. I keep the gear in a trapezoid shaped polyethylene box which fits nicely up against the bow. Inside of it I have a smaller pelican box for the items that absolutely have to stay dry. Here is a thread with some pictures of this setup:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/recentl...ies-36730.html

For me at least one spare prop is essential (2 is better). I also keep a full spare fuel line that is ready to go, if needed.

A couple of items that have been useful to me (that I keep in this box) that I don't think have been mentioned earlier in this thread include:

An extra liter of 2 stroke oil. I've often come across locations where I can re-fill the jerry cans with gasoline but they don't have 2 stroke oil available.

A small sylnylon tarp (~8'x10') weighs next to nothing (12 oz) and scrunches up into a tiny package (11" x 3" diameter). A shaped tarp such as the Kifaru ParaHootch & ParaTarp can easily be a lifesaver if one needs to make an unexpected landing and needs to get out of the elements. It is also easy to set up so it could be rapidly clipped to and erected on the boat (use a boat grab hook for the center pole & clip tarp base to the lifelines of the tubes) to minimize spray while in rough conditions.

As mentioned earlier by Mart, is to make sure you also have some basic on land survival gear such in case you need to make an unexpected landing and may need to remain there for a while. A completely reliable fire starting device such as a ferrocerium rod (fire steel) and no brainer tinder (such as cotton balls in petroleum jelly) would be one such essential.
Old 11 July 2011, 11:17   #52

As Martini- mart,, said earlier in the thread a lot depends on which area you are operating in ,

prairie tuber out in the wilderness will need different kit to say myself that operates from a busy commercial estury ,,not much call for a bear gun on the North yorks coast ,,unless passing stathes or whitby that is ,,,sorry chewy :0 only joking,

On the serious side though ,someone perhaps say just having a 5 mile run along the coast and thinking that they dont need a load of kit because they are keeping close inshore and not going more than a few hundred metres out maybe ok in some areas ,but doing the same along a coastline with high sheer cliffs right down to the sea and no safe way of beaching or gaining access to the top might as well be 5 miles out to sea if something goes wrong .
Old 11 July 2011, 22:04   #53
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
...but doing the same along a coastline with high sheer cliffs right down to the sea and no safe way of beaching or gaining access to the top might as well be 5 miles out to sea if something goes wrong .
I get that...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image0128.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	60779  
Old 12 July 2011, 07:39   #54

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
Quote:
I get that...
Where was the photo taken willk?
Old 12 July 2011, 08:02   #55

Town: Glasgow
Willk, I would be tempted to move everything needed to attract attention into one of those waterproof bum-bags (something like one of these; Waterproof Waist Pack ). Just make sure you get one big enough to hold your flares, gps, signalling mirror, divers torch etc. This would free up some space in your main case and ensure you have everything you need on you in-case the worst happens and you and the boat part company.
Old 12 July 2011, 09:41   #56
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet-Jester View Post
Where was the photo taken willk?
Knockalla, Fanad, Donegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Willk, I would be tempted to move everything needed to attract attention into one of those waterproof bum-bags
I tend to wear my immersion suit. In/on it are my VHF, PLB (GPS and LED equipped), mobile (ina waterproof bag) and a whistle. If I'm out later in the day, I carry the torch too. All items on lanyards.

I'm not gonna bump up and down all day on a bag of pyrotechics...
Old 12 July 2011, 14:26   #57

Town: Swindon
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard 15hp
This thread really got me thinking as I don't really carry a lot of kit in my SIB, just spare spark plug engine tool kit, food and drink water proof clothing, rope and a rope swim ladder

I'm feel bad now that I dont even carry a pump,anchor, flares or radio although I am a fair weather Siber
Old 12 July 2011, 14:29   #58

Town: Swindon
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard 15hp
Been a lurker for some time and always found the forum a good read been SIBing for about 14 years now had a 2 years with a Rib but enjoy the launch anywere of a SIB and not towing a trailer
Old 12 July 2011, 15:51   #59
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPnuts View Post
I'm feel bad now that I dont even carry a pump,anchor, flares or radio although I am a fair weather Siber
Its good that the thread is making you think about what is needed/essential. As mentioned further up not everything that everybody carries is 'essential' for everyone else. It will depend where you go - if like Willk you are remote, difficult to get ashore, possibly unlikely to see another boat for hours etc then you need to be more self reliant that if you are sailing the solent in the middle of summer...

that said some way of getting help would be wise and unless you are very confident about mobile phone reception and keeping a phone charged and dry all day then a VHF seems the sensible choice - for about £80. Flares are expensive, but of course if you need them then they will seem like great value at the time. A pump will only be really useful if you have a way of patching holes. But the anchor would be my first purchase in your shoes. Stop you blowing onto a rocky lee shore, or blowing out to sea if the engine dies. Let you hold the boat still when trying to fix the engine, or grab a peaceful sarnie, or persuade some mackrel to bite, or keep the boat afloat whilst you wade ashore... all mean its much more than just a safety device.
Old 13 July 2011, 10:53   #60
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
if like Willk you are remote, difficult to get ashore,
Harsh words P, a little distant maybe

Admittedly, Mrs willk insists that I can be difficult to get ashore. Late one last night - the torch was very much in the pocket!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Urris Hills.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	60823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going Home.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	60824