Old 09 August 2021, 21:50   #1
A1o

Length: no boat
Wet feet?

Hi All,

Relatively new to all this and constantly learning..

I was out yesterday on the Blackwater Estuary in my 2.4 Plastimo with Yamaha 2B outboard - according to the scale it was a force 5 unless I’ve read it all wrong!! This was the biggest test I’ve had so far in terms of weather, I was clearly very cautious, and noted the differences from a calm day!

Going with the wind wasn’t a problem I seemed to ride the flow, going against it resulted in a significant amount of water collecting on the floor of the sib close to covering toes at one point , I’ve used the boat on a relatively calm day resulting in some water build up near the transom in the corners, puddles but yesterday was different!

Is this to be expected in poor weather, or would water intake of this amount suggest the floor maybe leaking? I appreciate that’s a difficult question to answer my instinct is telling me it’s the result of water splashes over the front when going into the wind as there are no obvious tears or significant scratches, if that is the case how much water inside the boat is to much?
Old 09 August 2021, 23:00   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Sure it was F5? That’s pretty strong in a small SIB. Check the bungs, if it’s not coming in over the transom they’re the usual source.
Old 10 August 2021, 04:48   #3
A1o

Hmm maybe it wasn’t then I thought there was a chance I read it wrong... The wind was averaged at 19.885Mph between 1200-1800 according to previous weather report?

Thanks for your response it’s appreciated re the drain plug as stupid as it sounds does this go on the inside of the boat, or the outside I currently have it on the outside as this seemed the logical thing to do?
Old 10 August 2021, 07:04   #4

You'd typically have the bung on the inside as while logic would suggest a stopper works best being on the same side as the prevailing force it's more important to be able to reach it safely and to find it when you drop it.

Depending on the design the hole is usually tapered out and the bung expands into it when the lever pulled up to create a solid seal.

If it is a conventional bung then it's worth putting it on a line as well, so as to not lose it.
Old 10 August 2021, 07:47   #5

Some have a valve on them which doesn't always work as it should.

Wave height is usually the 'how brave do I feel today' factor in a small SIB but obviously frequency, tide, 'flipping factor', direction etc all factor in.

Can be great fun wave jumping in a little SIB though but you'll want to be able to outrun the wave speed.

Best thing is to grab a copy of Dag Pike 'Inflatables' - essential reading for any SIB owner.
Old 10 August 2021, 07:57   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Explorer 4
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 & 6
MMSI: 235913442
Hi, if the wind speed above is correct that is F5 which would have been interesting more so when it is wind against tide! I’ve experienced water on board my old 3.4 SiB when caught in the ‘Solent Chop’: short frequency waves with wind over tide. Bungs we’re all in (but definitely a check point) and was surprised with the amount of water I shipped! Splash over the bow and general spray.

You will know of course if it’s a leak next time you are out in calm water!

With an air deck, my bung had to be on the outside otherwise it was not accessible. Tying it on is very good advice! In my opinion btw, there is never a stupid question! There is a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum from those with way more experience than me (still a relative novice) and from what I read, they are always there to help/answer. Getting people on the water safely and with enjoyment is an underlying theme!
Old 10 August 2021, 09:11   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
F5 would certainly have made it more than a little lively.

The Blackwater estuary is about 8Nm long and it can get really bumpy at times as each tide cycle fills and drains along that length.... particularly at the Mersea end as it empties.

An easy way to test for water leaks is to set the boat up on the drive on a dry day and put a couple of inches of water inside. You'll soon see any leaks running out.

Re getting water in the boat due to waves and spray I'm afraid to say with a 2.4m and 2hp you are a bit at the mercy of the sea and need to work with not fight it. A displacement speed SIB can be a very wet boat once it gets choppy as you haven't surplus power to change the boat's attitude/trim with power or get on the plane "above" the chop.

During our decade plus launching from West Mersea we once downshifted to a SIB just over 3m with a 4hp from a 3.6m with 15hp. We soon changed it as the small size and inability to plane meant we just crashed into the face of a choppy sea and got soaked.

So I'd either avoid a F5 and/or certain tide times... or think of upgrading size/power as funds allow.
Old 10 August 2021, 10:26   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If it was genuinely a F5 (19mph just meets that definition), then I'd not be at all surprised to find water in the bottom of the boat and wouldn't be fretting about inflating at home and testing the bung etc.

To be clear F5 is enough that small trees are swaying, you'll have white horses on top of many waves and some spray being blown around on the water, on open water the wind will whip up waves of 2m+ height. Conditions in an estuary etc may be different depending on how far (the fetch) the wind can travel across the water uninterrupted.

Quote:
how much water inside the boat is to much?
Too much for comfort? Enough your feet get wet!
Too much for safety? Enough that the free surface effect becomes an issue - probably a lot in a SIB.
Too much for the engine? This is probably a bigger issue - if you stick 50 kg of water in the bottom of the boat its going to slow you down. Relatively small amounts can stop you from getting back on the plane (although if you only have 2HP? then probably weren't planing anyway) because as the bow lifts to get over the hump that water will move back which is exactly where you don't want extra weight to get on the plane. Even if you aren't planing - a load of water slows you down, burns more fuel, and in a F5 makes it more likely you don't have enough power to get over a big wave.

If you don't already - get a bailer, even a milk carton with the bottom cut off (and tied on).
Old 10 August 2021, 11:06   #9
A1o

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate it..

I’m learning as I go so your help and advice goes a long way, the 2.4 - 2HP was literally to get me out on the water (£370 second hand) making sure it was a sustainable hobby - long term goal is a Honwave with a 9.9 - though finances take time unfortunately..

My next upgrade I think will be a 4HP outboard which is the Max suggested for my sib, I also need to change the wooden slates as a couple have snapped aiming to get the plastic ones made as suggested by someone else on this forum!

Thanks all
Old 10 August 2021, 11:25   #10

Is your floor slats with gaps or panels that make a complete wooden floor? Is there a blow up keel under the floor?

If you have no keel and no void then every litre of splash that comes in will be around your feet. With a keel and void it's surprising it will take an average outing's splash without troubling your feet.

Note the Honwave V floor design doesn't have any void either.
Old 10 August 2021, 11:53   #11
A1o

It’s Slats with Gaps.. could someone confirm the purpose of the slats slightly embarrassed asking this, but the purpose of the slates is to ensure the boat remains relatively rigid in the water right? - given two boards have recently been snapped I’m assuming you step to the sides of these when getting in and not place weight on them unless already seated in boat?
Old 10 August 2021, 13:03   #12

The slats are to spread the load over the fabric floor. You have got a fair outfit for what you paid but this isn't really a going places SIB, more a yacht tender for ferrying ashore to the pontoon from a bigger boat.

So yes there is little you can do to stop wet feet in this type of SIB.
Old 10 August 2021, 17:56   #13

A slatted SIB in a F5 with 2HP is really not the best (wisest!) combo but chapeau for being out there.

As Fen' says it's really a tiny tender and maybe one for rivers.

Be patient and look everywhere all the time and bargain outfits still turn up - 8hp min in a 3.2m is maybe the minimum to aim for.
Old 10 August 2021, 19:37   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
2.4 2hp force five your going to get wet, 4.35 25hp force 5 you get wet especially if the wind picks up your bow spray. That’s sibbing for you.
Old 10 August 2021, 20:41   #15
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
A slatted SIB in a F5 with 2HP is really not the best (wisest!) combo but chapeau for being out there.

As Fen' says it's really a tiny tender and maybe one for rivers.

Be patient and look everywhere all the time and bargain outfits still turn up - 8hp min in a 3.2m is maybe the minimum to aim for.

I’m glad I did it as experience, but I defo know the limitations now.. naturally I never intentionally want to put myself in danger let alone any hero having to come to my aid so I’m keeping a log of my journeys and conditions, re reading my RYA PowerBoat course book, also got the RYA weather book - got the day skipper book older version of eBay but that’s a long way off!! Radio Course next and there is an online navigation one to try out!

Yeah appreciate the comments re tiny tender it immediately became apparent shortly after I hit the water seeing all these experienced people out in the 2.4 set ups! I thought yesss I’ve made it in life I’m one of the lads (or ladies I’ll add), before I saw them leave the tender at the buoy and sail of into the sun set on something much bigger!!

My time will come... something like Roman Abramovich’s boat will do me, nothing to special :-)
Old 10 August 2021, 20:45   #16
A1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
2.4 2hp force five your going to get wet, 4.35 25hp force 5 you get wet especially if the wind picks up your bow spray. That’s sibbing for you.

Cheers Jeff, never minded abit of rain in fairness - I seem to question everything at the moment part of my learning process I think the biggest concern was if the bottom was leaking leaving me at risk of the sharks in the Blackwater estuary or worse the mud!!

I’m glad the general consensus was to be expected in them conditions.
Old 11 August 2021, 18:59   #17

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post
Cheers Jeff, never minded abit of rain in fairness - I seem to question everything at the moment part of my learning process I think the biggest concern was if the bottom was leaking leaving me at risk of the sharks in the Blackwater estuary or worse the mud!!

I’m glad the general consensus was to be expected in them conditions.
Next time you go out it won’t bother you just be within your and the boats limits enjoy.