Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Pubs up river, now you're talking my language

Suggestions, names and locations will be well received
Steve,
Usual haunts are...
Alumchine at Neyland yacht club..
Jolly Sailor at Burton
Lawrenny Arms (aka the Doghouse) at Lawrenny quay
All the above are all-tide access, do food and have pontoons.
But the jewel in the crown is about 2 miles up the Cresswell River from the Doghouse - the Cresselly Arms at Cresswell Quay - high water only, ideally high water springs no food - a proper old fashioned drinking pub.
Old 15 July 2021, 19:19   #22

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
West Wales update

In West Wales last week, stayed at a site just outside New Quay. Found some really good places to launch a SIB at all states of tide with transom wheels (obvious sore point, see other thread "Broken Transom Wheels" ).
New Quay, Llangrannog and Tresaith in this part of West Wales are probably the best and easiest IMO, and just really nice places to be. All of them have parking problems, but once you know where, how and when it's realativly easy.
The Dolphins around New Quay are just amazing, swimming around and under the Redneck, but just to fast to get any pictures.
The Gower this week. Not the easiest of places to get on the water, not only due to the huge tide range, but also a lack of places to launch.
Port Eynon - a lovely place but I wouldn't want to launch there. Low tide exposes a minefield of sharp rocks, I think the fact that the Port Eynon Boat Club boat park is empty and you don't see anyone launching there apart from a couple of Shetland fishing boats, tells its own story. It's also bloody expensive and difficult to get things sorted, Swansea Council just appear to be wanting to take as much money as they can from everyone. Knab Rock at The Mumbles - again not the easiest to get things sorted. The guy at the slip just refused unless I had registered the SIB with Swansea Council, can't do this on the day, should have done it 10 days ago!
Oxwich Bay is a private beach and slip. £16 for the truck, trailer and to launch. Toilets, coffee, food incl a Michelin Star Restaurant if that's your thing. Sand is firm enough past the slip to recover even at low tide, all this with the added bonus that it is a beautiful bay. Don't think I will be launching anywhere else whilst I'm here.
Old 15 July 2021, 23:27   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
……It's also bloody expensive and difficult to get things sorted, Swansea Council just appear to be wanting to take as much money as they can from everyone……The guy at the slip just refused unless I had registered the SIB with Swansea Council, can't do this on the day, should have done it 10 days ago!

Wales, per se, seems to be coming to the conclusion that boaters are cash cows there for the milking. Each council is introducing its own individual registration scheme, so that someone on a touring holiday with a few days here & there, has to register in each area at additional expense. What happened to the internationally recognised SSR registration, isn’t it good enough for the Welsh?? The Italians, Spanish, Portuguese seem fine with it, even the French accept it, and that’s saying something.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:15   #24

Fully agree Dave. I don't mind paying to use a slip (New Quay and Aberaeron are free) but this having to register with all the different councils is a bit much. If they want to impose a registration scheme to prove insurance why can't it be done nationally.

I've sent you a PM Dave
Old 16 July 2021, 08:30   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Fully agree Dave. I don't mind paying to use a slip (New Quay and Aberaeron are free) but this having to register with all the different councils is a bit much. If they want to impose a registration scheme to prove insurance why can't it be done nationally.

I've sent you a PM Dave

No PM🤷*♂️
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:42   #26

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Very good question! Perhaps one that should be sent to the Welsh govt and NRW? Copy in visit wales while your at it

At least they are blocking slips and putting security guards on them to stop people using them (yet….)

Can you imagine if they started shutting roads because someone occasionally exceeded the speed limit or had a crash? And insisted you had to re register your car when you crossed the county boundary?
Old 16 July 2021, 08:58   #27

Sorry Dave forgot to press send
Old 16 July 2021, 09:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Very good question! Perhaps one that should be sent to the Welsh govt and NRW? Copy in visit wales while your at it

At least they are blocking slips and putting security guards on them to stop people using them (yet….)

Can you imagine if they started shutting roads because someone occasionally exceeded the speed limit or had a crash? And insisted you had to re register your car when you crossed the county boundary?
Good idea, I think I will just do that when I get home.
Old 16 July 2021, 09:52   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The varying attitudes at the coast are amazing.

We wanted a day out with dog but no boat last week and checked out a favoured place 80mls north of us to find that they now want £15 a day for the beach access car parking. Worse of all for all camper and day vans you have to email ahead to get permission to use said car park.

So we went 90mls east and had a great day where the car park was free and uncontrolled... great cafe and toilet block too.

The attitude in Wales to launching smallcraft is getting excessive.
Old 16 July 2021, 17:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The attitude in Wales to launching smallcraft is getting excessive.
I'd agree, but I had a fantastic day again at Oxwich Bay even though it was £15.
Went from Oxwich down to Knab Rock at the Mumbles stopping off for lunch at 3 Cliffs Bay.
Fantastic scenery, another pod of dolphins and great weather.

Have to comment on the number of people out on craft of all shapes and sizes not wearing any PFDs of any description, me and Diane was definitely in the minority.
Old 16 July 2021, 18:00   #31

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Have to comment on the number of people out on craft of all shapes and sizes not wearing any PFDs of any description, me and Diane was definitely in the minority.
Bet they all had council stickers

Mate of mine had a dip at 3 cliffs earlier looked amazing
Old 16 July 2021, 18:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Bet they all had council stickers

Mate of mine had a dip at 3 cliffs earlier looked amazing
It was stunning
Old 17 July 2021, 06:23   #33

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always like a free launch but I’m happy to pay £15 for a slip now and again for the pleasure of boating, less keen on the situation I mentioned where the £15 was just to park the car on a patch of gravel with no facilities.