Old 03 November 2015, 12:37   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Weighing up the options

So I'm deciding which SIB, RIB, or solid hull boat to go for... and to satisfy the wife we're doing due diligence before purchasing I've knocked up a spreadsheet (attached).

This boat will be used primarily for coast hopping, maybe a spot of fishing, maybe tow a ringo or knee board for the kids (5 and 7). It's a general purpose runabout for the holidays. Maybe used 5-10 times a year on inshore coastal waters (mostly Norfolk). If a SIB it will be stored in a garage and I intend to roof-rack it for the short 2 mile hop to the beach. We do have a tow-bar if we need/want to use a trailer and have done in the past with an old speedboat we had.

I've listed all my pros/cons in the attached spreadsheet but would appreciate more experienced boaters/SIBers advice in pointing out any obvious omissions or errors... before I report back to the boss ;-)

My intention is to buy new if a SIB, realistically I'd go second hand if I was serious about a solid hulled boat.

Budget... less than £4k all-in (we have life jackets, VHF, anchor, etc. already)

Many thanks.

Stig
Old 03 November 2015, 12:41   #2

And the table...

Old 03 November 2015, 12:50   #3

The Honwave T-38 is my current front runner, it seems to tick most of the boxes and Ely Boat Chandlers are selling it complete with a Honda 20Hp 4-stroke for £3,500 which seems right on the money...
Old 03 November 2015, 13:18   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ha ha a spread sheet is a little on the "particular" side... however I still have the paper one I made with ruled columns about 8yrs ago to compare the range of SIBs (12 in all) I might choose from.

But... over that period I've owned 7 from the list so the spreadsheet didn't totally work!

From all you've said I think the Honwave T38 with 20hp is the best combination of being suitable vs cost/storage etc.

I don't see durability of the Honwave being an issue... by "beaching" I assume you mean motoring carefully to a beach and pulling it up far enough not to float away... not a full SAS style 20kt beach raid!

We are all different with free cash availability and how much we value something shiny and new... but if you get the wrong boat first time you could drop close on £1000-£1500 moving that outfit on in a year or so. Used you would likely retain full value.
Old 03 November 2015, 13:31   #5

Once bitten twice shy in the secondhand boat market... so I bought a lemon... the risk of losing £1k because we change our minds in a year or two is not really a factor and mitigates any risk of the wife beating me up over problems down the line... if we have dealer back-up...

Good to hear the T38 is 'robust'... and yes, by beaching I mean pulling up onto a sandy or pebbly beach while we picnic somewhere... much as my boy would love the full on commando assault on a Blakeney mud flat...
Old 03 November 2015, 13:36   #6

Fully understand re new. While I have been happily buying reliable used outfits for many years this summer we did buy our Aerotec new.... funnily enough not without a small issue but at least Zodiac sorted it to my satisfaction.

My experience of Honwave is owning a 3.5 alloy floor (as in SIB with alloy floor not a RIB) bought new a few years back and I thought that was in some ways more robust than similar length sub £1500 Zodiac models. They are good value too with the 3.8 being well over £1000 cheaper than the Aerotec at discount prices... slightly different bias of +/- points but a broadly similar concept.

Anyway buying new from Ely chandlers is an excuse for lunch at the Cutter watching the river pass slowly by.
Old 03 November 2015, 13:51   #7

Ha... even better, just spoke to the shop and he's doing a November early bird so looking more like £3,300 for the package and that's only £600 more than I saw a few 3-5 year old exact same packages being sold on FleaBay...
Old 03 November 2015, 13:52   #8

mmmmmmm... pub lunch!
Old 03 November 2015, 13:58   #9

Yep no reason not to go for it. That outfit will either do you nicely for years or be a trouble free stepping stone to a full RIB if that becomes a wish in time.

If you might leave it inflated anywhere for a time (like the in-laws) see if Ely will do a deal on a genuine Honwave full cover. I had one... it fitted well and was so much stronger than any of the Ebay generic ones.

When you first get it on the water chuck up some images for us to see and report how you get on with it.
Old 03 November 2015, 14:28   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Ha... even better, just spoke to the shop and he's doing a November early bird so looking more like £3,300 for the package and that's only £600 more than I saw a few 3-5 year old exact same packages being sold on FleaBay...
That's a good deal stigo brand new, supplier near you, these boats are made well nice size & will go well with the 20hp,never had an Honda but never heard bad about them so should suit your needs.

Best of luck with your choice

Cheers
Old 03 November 2015, 23:19   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I know you are well on your way to making a decisions but just so you have all the facts:

(i) Trailer price seems a bit steep for what will be a tiny boat.
(ii) Remember to compare depreciation/resale price
(iii) I'm not convinced you have the pro/con of launching the right way round - you already have a car with a tow bar.