Old 03 May 2021, 16:30   #1

Town: windsor
Boat name: beats workin'
Make: saturn
Length: 4m +
Engine: 6hp johnson
Water leak in Saturn sib

Hi, guys- new guy here with a question. I've bought a used Saturn SIB and did some repairs to where the transom is attached to the air tube (proper term??) as it was detaching about 1/2 way down. This repair went well, but when I maidened it with the plywood floor in it, I found it was taking on water after a short time. As the boat was only drawing about 3 inches of water, I'm assuming that there's a small leak in the floor itself. I'm wondering what would be the best way to find the leak while in drydock, as I'm probably 30 miles or so from the water and I'd like to repair it before I try it again. No- one in the boating community here knows anything about inflatables and when I ask, I get looked at as if I had 2 heads. I was hoping that some of my new friends here might have some advice. Sorry for the long post and I look forward to any and all responses. Thanks for the read...
Old 03 May 2021, 16:55   #2

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
One thing you could try is inflating the boat and fill the boat with water up to where the floor is attached to the tubes. It will probably be a few inches of water. You will want to fill up higher than the top of the floor seam if that's what you suspect is leaking.
If you have it on a trailer maybe take it off for this experiment. It will be a lot of weight.
Maybe start by filling it a little and see if it leaking somewhere near the transom where you made the repair.
Old 04 May 2021, 12:34   #3

Town: windsor
Boat name: beats workin'
Make: saturn
Length: 4m +
Engine: 6hp johnson
Thanks for your reply, babbot1. I'll certainly give that a try...

Tags
sib