Old 07 April 2021, 20:26   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Higher pressure is all down to rigidity, back to your squidgy Sevylor
Yes I understand the need for pressure to enable rigidity (or epoxy) didn’t have any issues on the weekend I’ll check what pressure was used (I got out of the pumping duty as I was fighting my way into my gimp suit ahem Wetsuit
Old 07 April 2021, 21:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
What do you guys do re pumps?

I have the Red detonator style pump but it's hard work to inflate and get up to correct operating pressure. We're going on a bit of a trip (hopefully) in July and potentially we could be using it every day for about a week. With only the car for storage and security that's alot of pumping.

So I've been looking at electronic 12v pumps that you set to a desired pressure and leave it to it, but they're expensive?

Any advice please?

I've been wondering about installing a Schrader valve on to the right adapter and filling it up at a petrol station.
I would suprised if it was nicked inflated from the car roof especially if you have solid roof bars and cable lock through the D ring for the leash to the bars
Old 10 April 2021, 23:52   #23

Hmmm so I have been doing some research on iSUPs as I know now the term is.....

Baffled quite frankly but was at the beach today (far too cold for messing about on the water still) but decided it would have been nice to have the option so I think I’m going to get one but costs are mounting up (even tho I’m pretty equipped with all things both from wetsuits to vhf/flares/gps already

Budget seems to be £300 generic “starter” kit or £500 brand I have head of (jobe/oshea) etc or red paddle £1000+
Old 11 April 2021, 15:44   #24

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Hmmm so I have been doing some research on iSUPs as I know now the term is.....

Baffled quite frankly but was at the beach today (far too cold for messing about on the water still) but decided it would have been nice to have the option so I think I’m going to get one but costs are mounting up (even tho I’m pretty equipped with all things both from wetsuits to vhf/flares/gps already

Budget seems to be £300 generic “starter” kit or £500 brand I have head of (jobe/oshea) etc or red paddle £1000+
Beware of being caught out by the Brand name thing. They are all a high pressure bit of blown up pvc..... The £300 ones are in my view fine... 150 mm thick is the important thing if you are heavy
Old 11 April 2021, 16:38   #25

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Well myself and Mrs chipko have a couple of cheapo Two Bare Feet boards...impulse buy at the Boat Show...sub £300 each. Great for that relaxed balmy evening soirée in the bay or surfing small wavelets.

No. 1 son, a more committed boarder who has high quality (aka expensive) branded inflatable and rigid boards, is not averse to putting our cheapies through their paces in big surf. For the money he reckons they’re ace.
Old 11 April 2021, 18:35   #26

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
It completely depends what you want to do with it or how often you want to use. The gap on quality between two bare feet and a red is astronomical, you can’t compare them.

If you’re going to float about on a mill pound and not really go anywhere there isn’t much point in a half decent 600+ board. If you actually want to do a few miles and keep it a few years spend the money.

Worth considering the foamie rigid type coming out now too, I think I read someone suggesting hard boards are more difficult in this thread. Complete misinformation, hard boards are faster, easier to paddle and much more enjoyable to use. Just storage and transport is a PITA, although the foamie type dispel the fragile aspect.
Old 11 April 2021, 18:38   #27

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Well myself and Mrs chipko have a couple of cheapo Two Bare Feet boards...impulse buy at the Boat Show...sub £300 each. Great for that relaxed balmy evening soirée in the bay or surfing small wavelets.

No. 1 son, a more committed boarder who has high quality (aka expensive) branded inflatable and rigid boards, is not averse to putting our cheapies through their paces in big surf. For the money he reckons they’re ace.
Hi Chipko, have I got a serious case of deja vu or have I read that somewhere before?

As HDAV's thread has interested Mrs T, what model of "2 bare feet" did you get?
Old 11 April 2021, 19:21   #28

I get the brand isn’t a reflection of quality and it seems lots of OEM boards rebranded from China I guess with a low moq.... I value trying the board more than the price as it can be great quality but if I can’t paddle the thing where I want to it’s a waste of money regardless of how “cheap” it is... I have tried the O’Shea and a generic cheaply and differnerce was clear I can try a jobe not aware of any others I can easily try locally (current circumstance and all)
Old 11 April 2021, 20:02   #29

Quote:
Hi Chipko,
As HDAV's thread has interested Mrs T, what model of "2 bare feet" did you get?

Steve, we’ve got the Two Bare Feet Entradia Allround. Inflates to 18psi from memory. Seems good value and ok build to me, but not committed paddlers, so just another toy in the armoury for playing around on.
Old 11 April 2021, 21:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Steve, we’ve got the Two Bare Feet Entradia Allround. Inflates to 18psi from memory. Seems good value and ok build to me, but not committed paddlers, so just another toy in the armoury for playing around on.
These https://www.twobarefeet.co.uk/stand-...nd-xl-sup.html

These even https://www.twobarefeet.co.uk/stand-...-10-x34x6.html
Old 11 April 2021, 22:16   #31

Yes that’s the one. Graphics diff on ours as a couple of years old now. Got suckered into a Boatshow ‘special’ impulse buy....no regrets though and has proved to be a decent entry level all round board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	136941
Old 11 April 2021, 22:41   #32

£275 vs £400 sounds like you had a good buy
Old 11 April 2021, 22:50   #33

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I know you've probably looked, but is there not a place in Cardiff Bay which hires different makes of boards?
Old 13 April 2021, 21:49   #34

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
For convenient on the water fun I reckon packrafts are great. We have a 6m rib and had previously used a Sevylor K2 tandem inflatable kayak. Think we paid about £400 for that a few years ago, it’s decent but to be honest it’s quite heavy. It weighs probably north of 17-18kg and is quite large packed, plus pump - so we found that we didn’t use it much as you still needed a car to put it on the boot with pump and kit then park not far from the water. It’s been in our garage for a year! So if anyone wants that one do let me know (bought a new inflatable floor for it last year then never used it).

Think I posted about my initial thoughts on packrafts a while back. We use ours as a tender so we can easily anchor off shore, inflate on the RIB, hop aboard and paddle to the shore, deflate then roll up and put in our rucksack and carry on wherever we are going and use it if there are any calm waters we want to explore. Ours is a tandem so is the largest packraft type and weighs about 5.75kg, but it still fits in a rucksack rolled up (fits just in a 35ltr rucksack but just bought a 65ltr to have more room), it inflates with an inflation bag (about 6-7 bag fulls of air). They are made of polyethylene coated nylon with heat welded seams so nice robust material and weight wise can be much lighter though down to about 2.2kg for a single person packraft. For us it means we use it more than we ever did our Sevylor inflatable kayak - so from that perspective it’s been a great buy and good value.

Might be worth a look! The one we bought is an MRS packraft, the Barracuda Pro. They aren’t cheap ranging from £800-£2k but pay for what you get, quality piece of kit and so so so convenient, roll up small and light. Personally we went for the MRS Barracuda pro because it’s tandem for my wife and I, the shape of the hull is better for paddling (pointy and long), and it has a skeg to help with tracking which not all packrafts have as many are white water leaning. The one we have can be seen on here www.paqualife.co.uk

Can’t wait for the summer! We will be using it near Devon all being well.
Old 13 April 2021, 23:21   #35

Quote:
I know you've probably looked, but is there not a place in Cardiff Bay which hires different makes of boards?
CIWW is closed still I think they did the hire channel view is open for launching but not much else I don’t think
Old 14 April 2021, 08:18   #36

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
For convenient on the water fun I reckon packrafts are great. We have a 6m rib and had previously used a Sevylor K2 tandem inflatable kayak. Think we paid about £400 for that a few years ago, it’s decent but to be honest it’s quite heavy. It weighs probably north of 17-18kg and is quite large packed, plus pump - so we found that we didn’t use it much as you still needed a car to put it on the boot with pump and kit then park not far from the water. It’s been in our garage for a year! So if anyone wants that one do let me know (bought a new inflatable floor for it last year then never used it).

Think I posted about my initial thoughts on packrafts a while back. We use ours as a tender so we can easily anchor off shore, inflate on the RIB, hop aboard and paddle to the shore, deflate then roll up and put in our rucksack and carry on wherever we are going and use it if there are any calm waters we want to explore. Ours is a tandem so is the largest packraft type and weighs about 5.75kg, but it still fits in a rucksack rolled up (fits just in a 35ltr rucksack but just bought a 65ltr to have more room), it inflates with an inflation bag (about 6-7 bag fulls of air). They are made of polyethylene coated nylon with heat welded seams so nice robust material and weight wise can be much lighter though down to about 2.2kg for a single person packraft. For us it means we use it more than we ever did our Sevylor inflatable kayak - so from that perspective it’s been a great buy and good value.

Might be worth a look! The one we bought is an MRS packraft, the Barracuda Pro. They aren’t cheap ranging from £800-£2k but pay for what you get, quality piece of kit and so so so convenient, roll up small and light. Personally we went for the MRS Barracuda pro because it’s tandem for my wife and I, the shape of the hull is better for paddling (pointy and long), and it has a skeg to help with tracking which not all packrafts have as many are white water leaning. The one we have can be seen on here www.paqualife.co.uk

Can’t wait for the summer! We will be using it near Devon all being well.
Those packcraft look very good but you are correct they are not cheap !
Old 14 April 2021, 19:16   #37

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Worth noting inflatable anything and especially kayaks are hugely vulnerable to wind, rescues involving them have gone through the roof in recent years with the accessibility to them now.

Not saying anyone here can’t look after themselves but stick a kid in a inflatable kayak or sup and they’ll struggle to make head way on even slight offshore days!
Old 15 April 2021, 22:27   #38

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
Worth noting inflatable anything and especially kayaks are hugely vulnerable to wind, rescues involving them have gone through the roof in recent years with the accessibility to them now.

Not saying anyone here can’t look after themselves but stick a kid in a inflatable kayak or sup and they’ll struggle to make head way on even slight offshore days!

Absolutely agree with that, care is needed when using them on the sea, conditions need to be right, keep close to shore.

With the growth in the use of inflatable kayaks there are many inexperienced ppl taking unsuitable craft in unsuitable conditions. However used in the right way, the right conditions with the right experience and respect for the sea they can be a blast. We love our packraft, would never bother with a normal inflatable kayak now, they are way too bulky for true convenience [emoji106]
Old 25 April 2021, 20:03   #39

Sooooo Lidl have boards for £200....Mistral was a good brand back in the day for windsurfers I guess long gone to the wall and bought to be plastered in cheap Chinese tat? But £200 spec match the £700 boards on paper...

Figuring by buying one I’ll save the rnli at least one call out
Old 25 April 2021, 20:20   #40

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Sooooo Lidl have boards for £200....Mistral was a good brand back in the day for windsurfers I guess long gone to the wall and bought to be plastered in cheap Chinese tat? But £200 spec Mach £700 boards on paper...

Figuring by buying one I’ll save the rnli at least one call out
The good thing is if it doesnt come up to your expectations then take it back !,no on will starve over it , the fact is that lidl will sell the same amount on the first day of availiability than some of the top brands have ever sold .
Their buying power allows margins to be a fraction of what the other guys are after so your probhably will get more value than the small numbers boards anyway,
Good luck enjoy !