Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2022, 23:55   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Volaire 390 and Suzuki 20 EFI Success/Failures

Finally got out on the Volaire 390 Sib with the Suzuki 20 efi and everything ran fine without any major issues.

We were 2/3 up (and dog), with anchor, 30 litre fuel and a few bits and pieces, and we were getting approximately 22/23 mph WOT with a cheapo tac giving readings between 5200 to 5300 rpm

It was a bit choppy to experiment too much, but the engine got us up quickly, and ticked over fine on the plane at approx 4300 (17-18mph) with the throttle backed off a bit, and with the original prop.

The Ob was mounted directly on the transoms and the outboards manual trim was on the bottom hole (although I did plan to try it on the next one up but never got a chance)

Does all this sound about right to you guys with experience of the Excel or the Suzuki 20hp

Plan to buy another prop as a spare so might try a slightly different one in the future, but never seemed to experience any issues that we noticed with the one we have.

Weather and time constraints meant we had to cut our trip a bit shorter than planned, and never got to launch on Loch Etive, but had a great time anyway, and can't wait to give it a go again soon.

The only issue was when packing the boat down we noticed a few air bubbles coming from a rather awkward to fix double/triple seam along the bottom of the tube. Will have to inflate and have a better look now we are home if we get a few dry days, but a bit of a bugger if it is a leak after the very few hours the sib has done.

I suppose if it is a leak, it could be a warranty issue as there doesn’t seem to be any damage to the area around the suspected leak which could have been caused by us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220919-004037_Gallery.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	141527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220919-004000_Gallery.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	141528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220919-004151_Gallery.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	141529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220919-004159_Gallery.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	141530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220919-004155_Gallery.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	141531  

Old 19 September 2022, 10:55   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just out on a Welsh mountain at the mo. Have the same setup, I’ll get back to you when I get better WiFi.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 15:09   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just out on a Welsh mountain at the mo. Have the same setup, I’ll get back to you when I get better WiFi.

Our setup:-
OB sat all the way down on transom, tried lifting it on a packer, kept losing grip & blowing out. Sat on transom is best.
OB on second trim hole from bottom hole.
OB was supplied with a 12” pitch prop. Found this a bit sluggish so bought a 10” from SSI marine. Much better & hitting 6000RPM at WOT. Also better behaved at lower manoeuvring speeds.
NB, the Volaire has a mind of its own when low speed manoeuvring, especially if there’s a cross wind. It takes some getting used to.
Make sure the floor is fully up to pressure, 0.4bar.
We normally run 2 up, 20L fuel, anchor, usual gubbins.
Dunno about your leak, it could be air trapped between the tube & reinforcing that’s getting squeezed out when the tube is inflated. I’d blow up the boat & leave it for a couple of days, see what happens, if it stops & the tube doesn’t go down, it’s trapped air. If the tube goes down, ring Terry.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 16:52   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Great that you got out Brian and without any major mishaps. I hope its not a warranty job and it's just trapped air being squeezed out as Dave says. It seems a really good WOT speed.
I'm really tempted by the Volaire 390 for next year. I think the way we use our SIB lends itself to a slightly larger SIB especially as I've picked up a new to me (10hrs) 20hp Merc EFI.
How did you find the dog was on the tubed, albeit, flat deck?
Old 19 September 2022, 22:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Our setup:-
OB sat all the way down on transom, tried lifting it on a packer, kept losing grip & blowing out. Sat on transom is best.
OB on second trim hole from bottom hole.
OB was supplied with a 12” pitch prop. Found this a bit sluggish so bought a 10” from SSI marine. Much better & hitting 6000RPM at WOT. Also better behaved at lower manoeuvring speeds.
NB, the Volaire has a mind of its own when low speed manoeuvring, especially if there’s a cross wind. It takes some getting used to.
Make sure the floor is fully up to pressure, 0.4bar.
We normally run 2 up, 20L fuel, anchor, usual gubbins.
Dunno about your leak, it could be air trapped between the tube & reinforcing that’s getting squeezed out when the tube is inflated. I’d blow up the boat & leave it for a couple of days, see what happens, if it stops & the tube doesn’t go down, it’s trapped air. If the tube goes down, ring Terry.
Thanks for the info PD. With no experience and nothing to compare with, its difficult for us to be sure. Will try the second trim hole next time we are out because we did feel it was a bit high on the bow until we got it on the plane, although I never noticed it after.

Havent plugged the OB in, but if the tac is correct, we were hitting 5200/5300 max wot. So sounds like we would benefit from a different prop and if getting a spare anyway it would be interesting to get another size that might benefit handling and speed later. (but for newbies and the conditions it was fast enough for us)

It was very windy and choppy most of the time we were out, with the worst bit being at the small pontoon when the wife untied the line too fast, and the wind took the boat into shore and beached us before I got organised and the ob started. Of course there had to be a crowd watching

Will try get the boat inflated soon and hope it was just trapped air to save any hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Great that you got out Brian and without any major mishaps. I hope its not a warranty job and it's just trapped air being squeezed out as Dave says. It seems a really good WOT speed.
I'm really tempted by the Volaire 390 for next year. I think the way we use our SIB lends itself to a slightly larger SIB especially as I've picked up a new to me (10hrs) 20hp Merc EFI.
How did you find the dog was on the tubed, albeit, flat deck?
Almost lost one of the wheels steve when the retaining nut that joins to the bracket unwound and came off, but fortunately I noticed just in time. Although we just dont like these wheels anyway as we cant get them to work while within the boat and have always got to wade into the water.

Although nothing to compare with, I do think the Volaire for its weight and size gets pushed along quite easily with the 20hp and would probably be fine with smaller depending on the use.

My only reservation is the dead weight for moving the bugger when deflated, especially without a heavy duty bag or mechanical device.
Recently made a board with wheels so I can now manage the beast on my own in and out of the car and shed.......just.

I imagine that because you have the seperate air floor, the weight and bulk is seperate a little and to be honest I dont know if there is much difference in real floor space.......Unless you are jumping up in Volaire size to the 420 or whatever? I think the Volaire has bigger tubes possibly?

The floor was solid enough and we threw down a thin rubber matt for extra protection. But I dont think I would fancy standing up fishing etc like you will see some do on youtube.

Dog seemed to be ok and have tried to link a rough video below.
For size....he looks like a brown spaniel but is the size of a setter....

Oh and just for clarity...the bit hanging down from him is a sock thats stuck to his life jacket and not a willy warmer

https://youtu.be/fA8VzMwcAhY

And the pest after finding some cow pats all the way up the end of kellys pier. Number 1 of 2 rolls he managed before we got him off and into my car!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_143152.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	141537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_143226.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	141538  
Old 20 September 2022, 12:56   #6

He looks as happy as my dog when she's rolled in some other animal sh1t

I know the 390 is a heavy lump, but it's very rare that I even attempt to manhandle the SD360 when it's deflated. I use a trolley when moving it about at home and 90% of the time when I'm on holiday I trailer launch.

It's not so much the size Brian, although the extra. 0.33 sq mtr would be useful, it's more the handling characteristics of the Volaire. I was boating with one for 15 mins when I was down in Mylor and it appeared to be so much faster, and handled the swell and chop better than Redneck.
I didn't get a chance to try it as he was in a rush to get going.
Perhaps I need to find a friendly sibber who wouldn't mind me trying their Volaire.
Old 20 September 2022, 16:42   #7

Shame we missed each other by a week last week because you would have been welcome to give ours a try before making a final choice.
Would have been good to see what it was capable of in the hands of someone more experienced than us, and easier to experiment with different setups to see which was best.
It was the first time the better half has been in it as well as the dog, so had to play it safer than perhaps if just the 2 of us had went out.

I thought it was the 390 you had, so yes there would definately be a space advantage. As pd says i did find it quite sure footed at speed but less so going slower, so if it is better to control and faster with a different prop, perhaps that would also be a step up for you as you hope.
Old 20 September 2022, 18:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Shame we missed each other by a week last week because you would have been welcome to give ours a try before making a final choice.
Would have been good to see what it was capable of in the hands of someone more experienced than us, and easier to experiment with different setups to see which was best.
Unfortunately I didn't get up to Oban, had a problem with the truck and had to wait a couple of weeks for parts.
Old 22 September 2022, 21:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Unfortunately I didn't get up to Oban, had a problem with the truck and had to wait a couple of weeks for parts.
Ahh ok I never realised you didnt make it and I had not been on the forum much with work, catching covid etc

If you are coming up this way again just let me know and we can see if we can get something sorted.

Doesnt seem to be much videos on the Excel or the Volaire but one of these guys bought a Volaire and the second one has had a few different Excel sibs lately......and if you are considering fishing they have quite a few on sib fishing in particular if you are bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJq...93btf0Q/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6...4AHzYB4AZU8BJA
Old 22 September 2022, 21:34   #10

Thanks for the offer Brian.

Fishing, hmm! I have a rod and it has been used, but its never had a fish on the end of it!

Tags
suzuki