Old 20 March 2015, 14:32   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard/petrol/20hp
Using a SIB as a mode of transport

I have searched the forums and the web, but can't really find out if anyone actually moors their boat and (gasp) leaves it there whilst having a drink/doing something touristy etc.
Is this not possible/very naive? Husband has bought a 'MotorLoc'.
Having romantic thoughts about arriving at National Trust properties on Windermere by boat (ok, SIB!) as their website suggests, or finding somewhere to moor the boat on Loch Lomond for a coffee (Inchmurrin island etc). Will we most likely come back to no boat?
Had a look at your 'stolen' thread. Our cars and motorhome are ringfenced with alarms several times over - not so easy with an inflatable, is it? I'm sure we'll learn, but hopefully not the hard way!
Old 20 March 2015, 14:56   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette View Post
I have searched the forums and the web, but can't really find out if anyone actually moors their boat and (gasp) leaves it there whilst having a drink/doing something touristy etc.
Is this not possible/very naive? Husband has bought a 'MotorLoc'.
Having romantic thoughts about arriving at National Trust properties on Windermere by boat (ok, SIB!) as their website suggests, or finding somewhere to moor the boat on Loch Lomond for a coffee (Inchmurrin island etc). Will we most likely come back to no boat?
Had a look at your 'stolen' thread. Our cars and motorhome are ringfenced with alarms several times over - not so easy with an inflatable, is it? I'm sure we'll learn, but hopefully not the hard way!
An outboard lock and a stainless bicycle lock go a long way.

The biggest theft problem I usually see with SIBs is footpumps.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 15:21   #3

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
I take mine into York sometimes. I buy a daily permit, launch and go up the Ouse. Moor up, lunch and browse.
Old 20 March 2015, 15:33   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton

I used to use a SIB to go shopping at Tescos in Surrey Quays, and I've used it at various places further up the Thames like Cliveden (NT). I tend to use a cable lock to deter chancers and idiots.

On the coast at places like Dartmouth or Fowey there are loads of tenders moored up on the town pontoons and very few people seem to bother with locks. I'd probably put a cable lock on if I was leaving it overnight or if I got wind that Mollers was in the area.
Old 20 March 2015, 19:23   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Jeanette, it wouldn't be odd to pop over to inchmurrin for a coffee, or a meal and just tie up rather than lock the boat. I've never locked my boat there or on various remote west coast of Scotland jetties etc. it may be seen as antisocial to lock your sib to someone else's jetty incase a larger vessel comes along and needs to do some rearranging. I have a console with a key but it's no more of an actual prevention for a determined thief than if you locked your engine tilted out the water. I also take the kill cord and usually anything removable and valuable like vhf, GPS with me. Even left overnight Ive never had problems - I'd be more anxious in busy areas.
Old 20 March 2015, 20:04   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We've never locked up the boat as such. Just isolate the batteries, take the ignition keys & go & enjoy. We've tied up in French harbours & marinas over the years, plus all around the UK, never had a problem.
Relax, go for it. No point owning a boat if you can't enjoy it.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 20:08   #7

Mine is a rib but I can remove the fuel line to deter a joyrider, they wouldn't get far. A sib is at greater risk but town centres like York have cc tv. On Holiday in Major a there were lots of tenders tied up but now body was touching them. Any theft would be a case of your sib coming into contact with someone stinky!
Old 20 March 2015, 20:09   #8

Majorca even. Can we turn off autospell admin?
Old 20 March 2015, 20:10   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIB-Teccie View Post

I thought autocorrect was at your end not at the forum end, it's a device setting afaik.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 20:34   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Never had any issues with leaving the sib or the rib in uk or the continent been in French & Spanish & Italian marinas looked for the visitors moorings and left it

Had a slight issue with some jobs worth ranger on Loch Lomond but that's about it
Old 20 March 2015, 20:35   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
That's correct. Theirs know spill chucker hear.
Old 20 March 2015, 20:49   #12

Quote:
Is this not possible/very naive?
Very normal. While a SIB is theoretically easy to bundle into a car/van its not quick. Its going to take several minutes to deflate and remove engine etc. Opportunist thieves will not be fussed. Thieves stealing for sale will be more interested in higher ticket value. Most yachts have virtually no security! A big screw driver would force the best...

You do hear of rubber dinghies / tenders being nicked. Often either borrowed to get to a mooring (inconvenient rather than stolen) or the local youff/drunk revellers joy riding... At night.

Just been skiing. Was thinking how many skis are left outside the mountain huts yet very rare to hear of theft (occasions of hire skis being mixed up). But when you think of it you would look odd going up the mountain without ski boots on, or with boots and no skis and odd down it with out boots but with skis. Boating is the same. You will stand out a mile if you are a local scally with no boat skills trying to nick a boat. So you won't chance it...

Quote:
on Windermere ... or finding somewhere to moor the boat on Loch Lomond for a coffee (Inchmurrin island etc).
Your thief had to get there. OK they could have accomplice but on Windermere they probably drive. So someone has to take their car. Inchmurrin they need a boat...

Quote:
Our cars and motorhome are ringfenced with alarms several times over - not so easy with an inflatable, is it?
If you are worried, but confident in mobile signal... (Suspect more mobile signal = more people = more chances) ... You can get a small device the size of a computer mouse with inbuilt GPS and SMS messaging that can do that. Epoxy inside the engine cowling? Some run on own battery for 30 days. The true thief's will find it and leave it behind when they take your boat. The people you are worried about wouldn't expect it to be there... Can be had for £20 on fleabay...
Old 20 March 2015, 21:02   #13

Quite surprised by your answers - I thought you were all going to say 'don't do it!'.
I agree we DO want to enjoy the boat, just not sure how light fingered people are with these things - we'll only have third party insurance, which obviously doesn't cover leaving your boat unattended.
Will see if we can buy a fuel line lock too.

I get what you're saying Poly about remote (ish) areas, but I might feel a bit uncomfortable about leaving the boat unlocked for someone to er 'move', so probably best to not do this without checking if we can moor in that space first.

We've always stayed at Cameron House on previous holidays, whilst touring the area, so this will be a whole new ball game. I guess a lot of the land around the lake is private. Anyone know if we could find somewhere fairly close to Lomond shores, to tie up without upsetting anyone?
Old 20 March 2015, 21:05   #14

Got to have a bit of trust not everyone is bad
Besides that's what insurance is for
We used the wardens jetty on one of the islands that's y we got told off
Old 20 March 2015, 21:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Got to have a bit of trust not everyone is bad
Besides that's what insurance is for
We used the wardens jetty on one of the islands that's y we got told off
Haha! I've been spending too much time on Motorhome forums. People nick all sorts: whole unit or even fridge vents, toilet cassettes (eww) etc.

I'm apparently wrong about the insurance. Turns out it was full cover. Will need to read the T&Cs.
Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. I like this forum already.
Old 20 March 2015, 21:29   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Why 3rd party only? In my experience it's actually quite hard to get 3rd party insurance, and it doesnt seem to be much of a saving anymore.

<edit> You got there 1st

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 21:33   #17

Quote:
Haha! I've been spending too much time on Motorhome forums. People nick all sorts: whole unit or even fridge vents, toilet cassettes (eww) etc.

I'm apparently wrong about the insurance. Turns out it was full cover. Will need to read the T&Cs.

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful. I like this forum already.

Blimey what sites do you use ? I have had a caravanned for most of my life and never had any trouble
Old 20 March 2015, 21:45   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIB-Teccie View Post
Er, no, But if you make a typo and spot it quickly (an hour, IIRC) then you can go back an edit the post. Better than no autosplee
Old 20 March 2015, 22:56   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
We've always stayed at Cameron House on previous holidays, whilst touring the area, so this will be a whole new ball game. I guess a lot of the land around the lake is private. Anyone know if we could find somewhere fairly close to Lomond shores, to tie up without upsetting anyone?
The slipway at Balloch has a Jetty. If its quiet you can probably leave it there for an hour without objection. If its bank holiday weekend then you'll not be too popular as the wardens are trying to get everyone in/out and using the pontoons as a holding area.

As a general rule though you'll find if you are polite, don't take the p**s, if in doubt ask and are buying in the local establishments then people will tolerate you or even welcome you. You've got various options: Inchmurrin, Luss, Tarbet, Rowardennan, Inversnaid, Ardlui, Drovers, plus various island "beaches" etc...
Old 21 March 2015, 00:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Blimey what sites do you use ? I have had a caravanned for most of my life and never had any trouble
Me neither, but we haven't camped for the last four years.
I don't think the thefts happen on sites as often as on 'aires' in France, or more worryingly from supposedly secure storage facilities where several units are targeted at once.
As folks on here have said, not much you can do about the organised professional.

Thanks for all your advise regarding jetties etc Poly. Will come in very useful, I'm sure.