Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Jeez. Change the record guys

Talking topping up here,not inflating from scratch. Also talking low volume high pressure air floors, not voluminous toons.
Come on chipko £4 pump! and why not carry the proper pump in a dry box until needed, you know phone in a dry bag etc
Old 11 June 2019, 20:07   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If just for a final top up in emergency and you watch the pressure carefully the BP adaptor looks usable.

But I wonder why a manual footpump wouldn't be the fallback device?
Old 11 June 2019, 20:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Just bought one of these could be useful for topping up.

Would be a slow process to pump up whole sib but if your pump failed any person with a car might have a pump or you could buy a cheap one locally and not spoil your outing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Pump-....c100227.m3827

Dennis
So are you saying...

"Useful for topping up"

Or are you saying

"Pump up the whole SIB big your pump failed"

For the former I guess it depends how much topping up is needed. If it's a fair bit - it will still involve the pump chugging away for a fair bit. In my experience the cheap car 12v pumps overheat easily and are slow..

The latter... Makes that worse. A second manual pump not expensive. I agree hard on a wobbly boat.
Old 11 June 2019, 20:22   #24

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Usefull Adapter

Fenlander, yeah always carry a manual high/low pressure foot pump aboard for emergencies, wouldn’t venture out without it.

Trouble is with the high pressure air floors you always have to top up after 15-30 mins on water. This really means taking the battery pump along as it’s impossible to use the foot pump for those pressures whilst afloat. Battery pumps are overly expensive, fragile bits of kit that hate corrosive salty environments, so being able to leave safely ashore is a bonus. Plus if you’ve just inflated the boat from scratch, particularly if it also has a hp floor, then probably not that much juice left in it anyway.
Old 11 June 2019, 20:29   #25

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Well I'm gonna invest ;-). Re-inflating for a home wash-down after a day out, the ITIWIT can take care of one side, and my workshop compressor with this adapter can do the other and the bow.
Old 11 June 2019, 21:18   #26

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Good Grief you blokes cant half discuss the hell out of an item that cost Just £4. What a load of old Theory Mongers
Old 11 June 2019, 21:38   #27

Quote:
rouble is with the high pressure air floors you always have to top up after 15-30 mins on water. This really means taking the battery pump along as it’s impossible to use the foot pump for those pressures whilst afloat. Battery pumps are overly expensive, fragile bits of kit that hate corrosive salty environments, so being able to leave safely ashore is a bonus. Plus if you’ve just inflated the boat from scratch, particularly if it also has a hp floor, then probably not that much juice left in it anyway.
So what will you take out instead ? A bike pump? How easy would that be?
Old 11 June 2019, 21:39   #28

Quote:
Good Grief you blokes cant half discuss the hell out of an item that cost Just £4. What a load of old Theory Mongers
Well it's £4 till you burn out the car tyre pump and the cost starts adding up...
Old 12 June 2019, 06:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Well it's £4 till you burn out the car tyre pump and the cost starts adding up...
Unbelievable

So for those that don't read posts or cant work things out or who are just plain stupid. Here is what I/You could do:

1) Buy this valve and take it with you
2) If you don't already have one Buy a cheap battery powered car tyre inflator (which are all capable of at least 40 psi, well over an air floor pressure) and take that with you
3) Assuming you have a battery in your sib for the GPS etc
4) Assuming you Sib is a high pressure air floor
5) After your sib has been on the water for a while and Pressure has reduced in the High Pressure floor because of the colder water use the above to top it up.

Given the small amount of air that will be needed to top up to the initial pressure (assuming you got it right in the first place) this will only take a few minutes and nothing will burn out

If you try it as above and your pump burns out I will buy you 2 new ones
If you don't want to benefit from this thread then the alternative is don't buy one and save your money. Spend it wisely though as it is after all £4
Old 12 June 2019, 06:36   #30

Quote:
Fenlander, yeah always carry a manual high/low pressure foot pump aboard for emergencies, wouldn’t venture out without it.

Trouble is with the high pressure air floors you always have to top up after 15-30 mins on water. This really means taking the battery pump along as it’s impossible to use the foot pump for those pressures whilst afloat. Battery pumps are overly expensive, fragile bits of kit that hate corrosive salty environments, so being able to leave safely ashore is a bonus. Plus if you’ve just inflated the boat from scratch, particularly if it also has a hp floor, then probably not that much juice left in it anyway.

They are not expensive if you buy the best one on the market which is the Itiwit £39.99
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=It...r+pump&ie=&oe=
Old 12 June 2019, 06:45   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If just for a final top up in emergency and you watch the pressure carefully the BP adaptor looks usable.

But I wonder why a manual footpump wouldn't be the fallback device?
There are many methods but sib footpumps are quite big and the pipe unwieldly and not easy to use in a sib with air floor

I have most pumps and have tried many ideas in many pump up locations with varying power sources this is a new one to try.

I have:
1) Bravo electric (Worst of all in my view)
2) Bravo Foot
3) Honwave foot
4) Itiwit electric hp 2 No (The best of all)
5) Itiwit manual high pressure (Very good)
6) SUP High Pressure
7) about 5 - 6 unbranded other pumps
8) Two General Purpose Air Compressors

With this adapter I now could use any of these pumps.

Why so many..... because I like buying stuff and testing it etc. AlsoI am lucky and have quite a lot of space
Old 12 June 2019, 06:48   #32

I also have over 6 Joggle syphons...….. If you aint got one of them you should buy one and try it or you could debate its cost £7.99 for hours and also not reap the benefit which is considerable
Old 12 June 2019, 07:48   #33

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:

I have:
1) Bravo electric (Worst of all in my view)
2) Bravo Foot
3) Honwave foot
4) Itiwit electric hp 2 No (The best of all)
5) Itiwit manual high pressure (Very good)
6) SUP High Pressure
7) about 5 - 6 unbranded other pumps
8) Two General Purpose Air Compressors

With this adapter I now could use any of these pumps.

Why so many..... because I like buying stuff and testing it etc. AlsoI am lucky and have quite a lot of space
With all the above kit on your SIB is there room for you?
Old 12 June 2019, 10:19   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Never realised what I’m missing out on by not having inflatable tubes...
Old 12 June 2019, 11:01   #35

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Never realised what I’m missing out on by not having inflatable tubes...
well ive got tubes with an annual blow up so i must be too. i see air floors being a pain but then i would be fitting reflective camping mats on the hull to help having said that it takes seconds to top up with the electric pump[proper one] kept in a dry bag / box simple.
Old 12 June 2019, 19:18   #36

Town: Pembrokeshire
Make: Avon EA16
Engine: 40hp Mariner
I've ordered one for my Honwave, and I know I'll find it useful.

In fact, the ONLY adaptor I have to pump up my old D-class uses a schrader valve too. I don't know where to get hold of any other type.

I suppose it all comes down to the size of your compressor. Fortunately, mine's massive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	129746
Old 12 June 2019, 20:59   #37

Quote:
Unbelievable

So for those that don't read posts or cant work things out or who are just plain stupid. Here is what I/You could do:

1) Buy this valve and take it with you
2) If you don't already have one Buy a cheap battery powered car tyre inflator (which are all capable of at least 40 psi, well over an air floor pressure) and take that with you
3) Assuming you have a battery in your sib for the GPS etc
4) Assuming you Sib is a high pressure air floor
5) After your sib has been on the water for a while and Pressure has reduced in the High Pressure floor because of the colder water use the above to top it up.

Given the small amount of air that will be needed to top up to the initial pressure (assuming you got it right in the first place) this will only take a few minutes and nothing will burn out
Quote:
Would be a slow process to pump up whole sib but if your pump failed any person with a car might have a pump or you could buy a cheap one locally
You said it could pump up a whole SIB. *This* is the reason the conversation has taken a dive. Read your own post.

Someone did the calculations for you and said it would take 40minutes. They agreed that it would be slow. The were pointing out that a car pump is not designed to run for 40minutes and risked burning out.

How long does it take to cool the air floor? Surely it's quick. So why not launch. Pump extra )bring back ashore if need be) then put the posh pump safely away before motoring off? Why would it take more than 5 minutes to cool the air?

How much air is needed? I don't know. I could probably do the maths. But how long does it need to run to raise the pressure in the floor?

Is there a reason not to just stick a bit extra in before you launch? If you know it always needs an extra 0.3psi would going to 3.8 Vs 3.5 be a risk? (Genuine question... I dunno)

My proper compressor I think would stand a chance. My little car rattly noisy as f 12v gets hot raising my car tyre by 3-4psi, takes ages to do it, And is only inflating a few litres.

Please post back once you've got it, tested it and tell us how well it worked as both a top up and an emergency solution like you suggest...
Old 12 June 2019, 22:30   #38

Town: St. Petersburg FL
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac
Engine: out
I use a shop vac reversed with the hose reduced down to a 3/4 inch pvc fitting then increased the diam with electrical tape to make it snug. High voluum low pressure
Old 13 June 2019, 05:38   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You said it could pump up a whole SIB. *This* is the reason the conversation has taken a dive. Read your own post.

Someone did the calculations for you and said it would take 40minutes. They agreed that it would be slow. The were pointing out that a car pump is not designed to run for 40minutes and risked burning out.

How long does it take to cool the air floor? Surely it's quick. So why not launch. Pump extra )bring back ashore if need be) then put the posh pump safely away before motoring off? Why would it take more than 5 minutes to cool the air?

How much air is needed? I don't know. I could probably do the maths. But how long does it need to run to raise the pressure in the floor?

Is there a reason not to just stick a bit extra in before you launch? If you know it always needs an extra 0.3psi would going to 3.8 Vs 3.5 be a risk? (Genuine question... I dunno)

My proper compressor I think would stand a chance. My little car rattly noisy as f 12v gets hot raising my car tyre by 3-4psi, takes ages to do it, And is only inflating a few litres.

Please post back once you've got it, tested it and tell us how well it worked as both a top up and an emergency solution like you suggest...
Or perhaps you could buy one (Have you got £3.68) and test it yourself.

The honwave air floor needs to be nearer to 12 psi by the way 0.8 bar
Old 13 June 2019, 05:56   #40

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
I also have over 6 Joggle syphons...…..
Pronounced jiggle

Just in case you can't work it out or are plain stupid!

Good invention - takes bloody ages to inflate the SIB with it though.