Old 21 March 2010, 20:08   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Urgent Question

Hi all ,well pumped up the sib and has not stayed up for long,well floppy now,pumped up about 11 o clock to day,left sponsom goes down quicker ,can see a patch leaking on the right sponsom tube with soapy water,did not put the black covers on the A5 valves to day,would that make a difference to loosing air? and did see some air coming out of the right hand tube, near the transom with soapy water, tightened it up and it seemed ok,oh dear oh dear this boats got moe puncture's then a dart board,a bit down now,should beable to repair it
Old 21 March 2010, 21:10   #2

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
I thought the valve seals were the caps that you screw on but could be wrong,I swear thats what it said in my manual. i will have a look and let you no.
Old 21 March 2010, 21:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Hi all ,well pumped up the sib and has not stayed up for long,well floppy now,pumped up about 11 o clock to day,left sponsom goes down quicker ,can see a patch leaking on the right sponsom tube with soapy water,did not put the black covers on the A5 valves to day,would that make a difference to loosing air? and did see some air coming out of the right hand tube, near the transom with soapy water, tightened it up and it seemed ok,oh dear oh dear this boats got moe puncture's then a dart board,a bit down now,should beable to repair it
Don't worry about the leaks mate, just get yourself some hypalon, a pot of this:-
http://www.polymarine.com/products/p...%5B1607%5D.cfm

and read the patching guide on here. It'll still be a good buy by the time you've sorted it out and you'll have more confidence in it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2010, 22:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Don't worry about the leaks mate, just get yourself some hypalon, a pot of this:-
http://www.polymarine.com/products/p...%5B1607%5D.cfm

and read the patching guide on here. It'll still be a good buy by the time you've sorted it out and you'll have more confidence in it.
Cheers mate, thanks for the excellent links,i think you be right there,once you fix one ,then gotta be confident in fixing them,i tend to wrap my small one as as it were in cotton wool.lol,dreading when it needs a puncture repair and being paraniod about it ,so yes mate gonna get a kit and get on with it,lol
Old 21 March 2010, 22:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I thought the valve seals were the caps that you screw on but could be wrong,I swear thats what it said in my manual. i will have a look and let you no.
you be right there the valves screw in,i ment the black rubber caps that push in,must be the existing repair patchs,and possibly more punctures?
Old 22 March 2010, 09:19   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Dont get disheartened ,i have never yet bought a secondhand boat without any leaks in it ,one Zodiac boat that i bought second hand had been left in a garden and the sellers grandkids had gone around it with a garden fork whilst it was rolled up,had that many patches on it it looked like it had been machinegunned ,i still had many years of use out of it ,suppose the patches made it stronger dont forget ,you can always disguise over some patches with D rings or the like in some areas ,and for very tiny holes motorbike puncture patches are ok ,even the rnli use them at times especially on the underside.
Old 22 March 2010, 09:30   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
As said, patchiong isnlt difficult, just make sure you follow the instructions!

And yes, the A7 valves do use the cap to seal. Are there rubber rings inside the cap?
Old 22 March 2010, 09:45   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
just make sure that you use 2 pack glue and that the area of the patch is dry and free from moisture and is well rubbed down and buffed up with grit paper or a wire brush especially around the edges ,, take your time when you do it ,,most important is that the glue is dry to touch on both the boat and the patch before you firmly press down it down ,start at one end or in the middle so you dont get any air bubbles trapped and press/rub over it very firm with some thing hard ,i use a socket hande,,or hammer head.,,,,if you are going to do it outside pick a warm damp free day,, i patched mine up in the kitchen last xmas ,,gave the wife and her mates a shock when she cam back in from a night out ,,lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1031308.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	49963  
Old 22 March 2010, 18:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Dont get disheartened ,i have never yet bought a secondhand boat without any leaks in it ,one Zodiac boat that i bought second hand had been left in a garden and the sellers grandkids had gone around it with a garden fork whilst it was rolled up,had that many patches on it it looked like it had been machinegunned ,i still had many years of use out of it ,suppose the patches made it stronger dont forget ,you can always disguise over some patches with D rings or the like in some areas ,and for very tiny holes motorbike puncture patches are ok ,even the rnli use them at times especially on the underside.
That did make me chuckle to day,looked like it had been Machinegunned,lol,when you say motorbike patchs ,are they differnt from push bike one's?gonna buy a roll of hypalon for the bigger patch's,mind you i can t see any gaping holes,ill have to check the seams,
Old 22 March 2010, 18:54   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Free orange hypalon patches (kinda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
can you buy sheet of Hypalon on its own?
I'm sure someone on here would flog/give you a few offcuts?

Or you could order a few FREE bits and £10 worth of stuff (spark-plugs or whatever) to make up the weight. It's your colour too