Old 12 March 2009, 07:28   #1

Town: UAE
Boat name: quicksilver 480xs
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard Mercury 25h
Urgent Advise needed for Quicksilver 480XS

Guys,

I urgently need your help to decide if Quicksilver 480 XS inflatable boat fitted with a Mercury 25 HP 2 stroke engine will be suitable for my needs.

I plan to take my family (4 adults + gear) for camping on an island which is around 5 miles away from shore. usually the current is not much strong in our area and we dont have high tide also. Wind speeds will be about 14knots when we get to open water.

Can you please tell me if I can do the trip safely? does the boat splash too much water inside and we will all get wet?

Thank you in advance for the support.
Old 12 March 2009, 08:23   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
These boats are very dry and more than capable of carrying four people plus gear.

Many people go for more than 25HP but my personal experience is that these engines are ideal, in fact we are about to fit one to the next boat up in the range - a 5.3m.

If you are worried about spray you can fit a dodger or tent to the bow (like on inflatable lifeboats) but 90% of owners do not feel the need.
Old 12 March 2009, 10:35   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
I agree with Malthouse, 25hp will be more than adequate for this boat and of course the 2s will be lighter than a 25hp 4s.

My Quicksilver is smaller and tends to be a 'wet' boat but as Malthouse says a bow dodger should cure that.

Keith Hart
Old 12 March 2009, 13:41   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Virtually any RIB or SIB can be subject to some spray depending on the size, steepness and direction that the waves are striking the boat. Be sure to bring along some waterproof/breathable jacket or coat shells that can be worn either under or over your PFDs if the conditions whip up somewhat.
Old 12 March 2009, 15:57   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I always find the worst in in substantial chop or sort period swell with the wind coming from the beam. The boat generates spray out to the sides which gets blown back over the passengers. Spend long enough in this scenario, and your passengers will begin to have a severe dislike of the driver.

A few ways of dealing with this:

Slow down. Go slow enough that the spray to the sides is not generated, and it won't get blown back in. Downside: Takes a long time to get anywhere.

Run a zig-zag course directly into the wind, then slightly downwind. Downside is that it takes a long time to get anywhere, and it takes a fairly wide open area of water.

Get everyone bundled up in rain gear, and go. Downside: uh, let me think... The trip is over too fast? The kids will probably have a blast; the wife may not...

jky
Old 14 March 2009, 21:57   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Your boat will handle it easily. I have a quicksilver 3.1m with a 15hp and have crossed the Bristol Channel - joint highest tides in the World - can get very rough and windy - and 26 miles each way. Mind you the weather was great when we did it.

I agree short sharp waves are the worst. Big Atlantic rollers are like driving over hills.
Old 15 March 2009, 08:03   #7

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Quote:
Big Atlantic rollers are like driving over hills
Bang on there Cod old chap, although it is usually North Sea rollers for me, a genuine 'roller coaster' ride!

As for the spray I like to think of my sibbing as a 'watersport' and I always wear a drysuit. I get wet on the outside but stay dry on the inside.

Keith Hart
Old 18 March 2009, 05:40   #8

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Sanfoor

I am down in Muscat and regularly dive here and in UAE waters. As previous replies have suggested this will be good combination for you. I hope that by now you have bought it and are planning your first trip this weekend - I am certainly off camping this weekend with wife and kids...

I am also refurbishing a 6.5m RIB to bring up to UAE for diving. I shall keep an eye out for you.