Old 10 August 2020, 22:58   #1

Town: East Sussex
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp Mariner
Upgrading SIB

Hello, new to the forum. I had a zodiac airdeck which was great with the 7.5 Suzuki on the back but unfortunately this summer after being in storage for so long the floor is coming away so rather than take a chance I’m upgrading. This boat was always carried down the beach with 2 of us.

I’m picking up a Honwave Ali deck T40 with a 2 stroke 25hp Mariner on a snipe trailer with ringos on Saturday..!

Being a bit more serious than the first toy and wanting to go further afield, I have read several posts on here and have most answers on kit to have aboard and how to pick the perfect life jacket.. First thing I need to purchase that I don’t already have is a VHF radio, can anyone recommend a brand? It’s been several years since I took the SIB out so feel like a newb again.

Does anyone on here own one as my nearest slip is 45 minutes away with strict times for coming out of the sea I plan on launching from the beach, is this easily achievable with 2 men? Weight wise.. no idea what the mariner 25 comes in at! Be great to be able to launch alone but a lot of the local beaches have a steep climb up stones!

The boat is 3.5 hours away and is supplied on a snipe trailer, the seller has said it’s never been submerged in the sea as launching wheels are fitted and is regularly greased. Would you tow it back 135+ miles inflated on the snipe trailer or deflate and pack into the car towing the snipe trailer empty or take your car transporter trailer that you know is sound to put the whole set up on and only use the snipe trailer when local to home doing shorter journeys?

This website was a great find, thanks in advance. 👍🏽
Old 11 August 2020, 09:25   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
if you have a car trailer use that no sweat then might be a bit over cautious but peace of mind until you get it home and have a good look IMO
Old 11 August 2020, 10:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
if you have a car trailer use that no sweat then might be a bit over cautious but peace of mind until you get it home and have a good look IMO
Yeah that’s my thinking, would you leave the boat inflated?
Old 11 August 2020, 10:13   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACG190 View Post
Yeah that’s my thinking, would you leave the boat inflated?
i see no reason why not just make sure it's secure and the engine is supported if you leave it on
Old 11 August 2020, 11:22   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum. I guess if you have the car trailer already it's not really any trouble to use that.. but I've towed loads of new to me used trailers of all types home. I just take a grease gun and elec tyre inflator and if the bearings or tyres are less than perfect stop hourly to check.

Re the beach launch are you thinking with trailer on vehicle, trailer hand pushed or using transom wheels? In any case that T40 is heavy and with a 25hp, fuel tank and kit it may be hard to move on a sloping stony beach.
Old 11 August 2020, 12:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. I guess if you have the car trailer already it's not really any trouble to use that.. but I've towed loads of new to me used trailers of all types home. I just take a grease gun and elec tyre inflator and if the bearings or tyres are less than perfect stop hourly to check.

Re the beach launch are you thinking with trailer on vehicle, trailer hand pushed or using transom wheels? In any case that T40 is heavy and with a 25hp, fuel tank and kit it may be hard to move on a sloping stony beach.
I think I’m going to use the car trailer only ball ache being the slow drive there never mind coming home With the boat. It will be hand pushing on transom wheels to the sea with 2 of us then get the outboard down there.. Nearest slips 45 minutes away. Suppose it will be a case of having a play moving the boat around off the trailer to see how manageable it’s going to be.
Old 11 August 2020, 12:23   #7

The boat..

The set up..
Old 21 August 2020, 17:16   #8

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Hi, with regard to your query about vhf radios I chose a horizon hx40e. It is one of the smallest and lightest with very good battery life. I keep it on my life jacket. You need the case for it to float. It has an fm radio, handy to listen to on rivers.

Tags
sib