Old 12 September 2020, 20:47   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Trip to Falmouth?

Hi all,

Out in the SIB again today and felt very comfortable and confident in lovely calm conditions around St Mawes. Really starting to feel I can go further afield and be safe in our Excel Volante 330, and our Suzuki 6hp is more pokey than I was expecting two up, even against the tide (granted it’s neap today).

If I was to cross the bay to Falmouth from St Mawes, is there a visitors pontoon in Falmouth I can use? Googling is bringing up mixed reviews... but also suggesting it may be too busy a port to visit safely in a 3.5m sib without a Radio...

Thoughts and ideas welcome, I got half way across today while exploring so it felt within reach, just looking to stretch my legs a bit further but while staying safe as I don’t have a radio just yet!
Old 12 September 2020, 23:30   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, there's multiple marinas/havens along the town quay - in our sailing yacht (and RIB) we tend to use the harbour-run Falmouth Haven. They have a tender/SIB area right by the ramp ashore, and a little office at the top of the ramp for payment/advice. I've certainly taken my RIB in there for short stays before, and paid a small fee for a few hours stopover.

St Mawes to Falmouth town is perfectly doable in a SIB of that size, especially in calm conditions - depending on how exactly you cross it's only around 2.5 miles. Obviously watch out for and keep clear of commercial traffic, and whilst personally I would always have a VHF on board when afloat (and you can get handhelds pretty cheaply these days), I don't honestly think for that trip that not having one is a particular problem - it's not like you won't be within phone coverage the entire time. If you do it on a slightly incoming tide, the worst that can happen is you drift gently further up the harbour/estuary!
Old 13 September 2020, 07:06   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
I would add to that advice... Going into a busy port you might want a radio not only for outward communications but also to listen to movement that might affect you, shipping will be expecting you to stay/get out of their way. There is also the possibility that someone would try to call you, in the fair expectation that you be listening to port operations.
Old 13 September 2020, 08:33   #4

Thanks both, good advice.

Yes the lack of radio has been bothering me, I will be doing the course and buying one over winter for sure. I don’t want to be an idiot in a boat getting himself into dangerous situations.

I think I will see how adventurous we feel today, I stuck to the incoming tide and in sight of other pleasure boat users around St Mawes yesterday for those reasons.

We could always pootle up the Fal instead, which perhaps will be safer.
Old 13 September 2020, 09:19   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Thanks both, good advice.

Yes the lack of radio has been bothering me, I will be doing the course and buying one over winter for sure. I don’t want to be an idiot in a boat getting himself into dangerous situations.

I think I will see how adventurous we feel today, I stuck to the incoming tide and in sight of other pleasure boat users around St Mawes yesterday for those reasons.

We could always pootle up the Fal instead, which perhaps will be safer.

Just out of curiosity, what’s the launching like at St Mawes? We’re currently down near Penzance with our Volaire, & are aiming to to move up the coast in a couple of days. Is it feasible to assemble/launch a SIB in St Mawes or are you trailer launching?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2020, 10:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just out of curiosity, what’s the launching like at St Mawes? We’re currently down near Penzance with our Volaire, & are aiming to to move up the coast in a couple of days. Is it feasible to assemble/launch a SIB in St Mawes or are you trailer launching?
Hey PD, we launch “From the boot” and use the slipway at Place. Maps link to follow. The slipway is council owned and perfect for us but quite dilapidated now, they’ve removed much of the top surface on the water edge so if you trailer launch it might be a bit eggy... people do, though.

You can park in a lay-by just up the road, but I think it might strictly be for the place-st Mawes ferry users... we always stay in the roseland around Bohortha so driving down, dropping one of us with the boat and then driving back up and walking down the hill is an option.

I believe there is a sailing club in St Mawes that people have recommended... it’s on the boatlaunch website.

Best, G
Old 13 September 2020, 10:24   #7

Dropped pin
Near Truro TR2 5EZ
https://goo.gl/maps/M5RJY8LVV4KjA54c9
Old 13 September 2020, 10:47   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Hey PD, we launch “From the boot” and use the slipway at Place. Maps link to follow. The slipway is council owned and perfect for us but quite dilapidated now, they’ve removed much of the top surface on the water edge so if you trailer launch it might be a bit eggy... people do, though.

You can park in a lay-by just up the road, but I think it might strictly be for the place-st Mawes ferry users... we always stay in the roseland around Bohortha so driving down, dropping one of us with the boat and then driving back up and walking down the hill is an option.

I believe there is a sailing club in St Mawes that people have recommended... it’s on the boatlaunch website.

Best, G

Thanks for that, we’ll give it a looky [emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 September 2020, 11:36   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
What's that Place slip like for tides? Looks like it dries 1.5m at low water so might be a bit restricted for timings??

Where would you shop... motor across to St Mawes?
Old 13 September 2020, 11:56   #10

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi PD,
If you're staying on the Roseland then St Mawes is a good spot to launch, give the Harbour Master a call, he's always very helpful and can point you in the right direction. If you're staying Falmouth side the I'd suggest Mylor harbour to launch, 2 free slipways and plenty of space to setup etc.
I've just brought my RIB home as have some jobs to get on with but may drop it back in on the next spring tide for some Bass fishing. If you want any local advice then give me a shout on here.
Cheers and enjoy Cornwall
Old 13 September 2020, 13:53   #11

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Hi Dave - looks like you are going to have some nice days coming up. As Pipster said enjoy Cornwall
Old 13 September 2020, 16:22   #12

Trip to Falmouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
What's that Place slip like for tides? Looks like it dries 1.5m at low water so might be a bit restricted for timings??

Where would you shop... motor across to St Mawes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8148.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	135090Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8146.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	135091
This was the Place slip today an hour before a neap high tide. With decent transom wheels you can launch 4 hours either side of high tides, but yes spring lows get a bit too muddy...

Definitely motor the short hop to St Mawes, free short stay tender mooring at the steps by the harbour slip. Great fish and chips pretty much opposite to your right, co-op to the left. It’s wonderful!

I feel like I’ve just revealed my favourite secret slipway.... [emoji87] been coming here since I was 4. It’s the sole reason I bought my first boat!
Old 13 September 2020, 17:41   #13

RIBase
Thanks for all the info guys. We’re heading down towards Lands End tomorrow for a couple of days, then heading eastwards. We’ll look for somewhere around Falmouth either Mylor or St Mawes. We’re in the camper, so are easy.
Old 13 September 2020, 18:06   #14

Sounds wonderful! Heading back to London tomorrow after two days here, far too short a trip! Last outing for the boat this year too I recon... [emoji24]

Enjoy!

Oh and thanks all for the original advice, we spent today exploring the estuary up to the Fal, and down to the lighthouse at St Anthony. Falmouth itself was very busy with “grown up boats” so didn’t venture in. Will tackle that next year equipped with radio and wits...
Old 13 September 2020, 21:28   #15

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Hi, glad to see people enjoying my stomping ground, i usually spend a month or so down there every summer, done st mawes to Falmouth in a 3m sib before plenty of times, don't need to worry about how busy it is, there's plenty of room. you can also launch in st mawes harbour, the main slipway is restricted use as a kayak hire business operates from there however there is a small slipway suitable for SIBs opposite the rising sun pub that I personally use to get my little yam in the water every year, I second pipster, the harbour master and his assistant are absolutely lovely folks
Old 14 September 2020, 12:54   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>feel like I’ve just revealed my favourite secret slipway....

Know what you mean and I sometimes have that feeling when advising a launch location on here.

>>> Will tackle that next year equipped with radio and wits...

Radio useful but wits even more useful in places like Falmouth. Just use Google overhead/Streetview or harbour website to find the dinghy pontoon and head to it with confidence keeping out of the way of the big stuff.
Old 14 September 2020, 13:09   #17

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>feel like I’ve just revealed my favourite secret slipway....

Know what you mean and I sometimes have that feeling when advising a launch location on here.

>>> Will tackle that next year equipped with radio and wits...

Radio useful but wits even more useful in places like Falmouth. Just use Google overhead/Streetview or harbour website to find the dinghy pontoon and head to it with confidence keeping out of the way of the big stuff.
saved you guys the effort, the dinghy/tender mooring section is the red circle, its 1 quid per meter short stay, the pontoon is locked with a code so you have to pay to get the code
Click image for larger version

Name:	falmouth.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	135101
Old 14 September 2020, 18:17   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
saved you guys the effort, the dinghy/tender mooring section is the red circle, its 1 quid per meter short stay, the pontoon is locked with a code so you have to pay to get the code

Attachment 135101

More great info, thanks a lot fellas. Keep it coming. Can anyone recommend a place to sit & eat a dozen oysters in the Falmouth area without having to auction a kidney? They wanted £13 for 3 in Rock[emoji15]which is taking the pi55 at an extreme level. I’m used to paying around €20/2 dozen with a nice Picpoul in Normandy [emoji848]
Old 14 September 2020, 19:02   #19

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi PK, good to hear you made another outing before you pack away for winter.
Old 15 September 2020, 08:32   #20

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
PD, You're a little early for the local Oysters, the season doesn't start till the 1st Oct. 'Hooked' at Swanpool was good last time I was there, I'd book early as can be very busy.