Old 15 September 2020, 10:32   #21

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
you can also launch in st mawes harbour, the main slipway is restricted use as a kayak hire business operates from there however there is a small slipway suitable for SIBs opposite the rising sun pub that I personally use to get my little yam in the water every year, I second pipster, the harbour master and his assistant are absolutely lovely folks

Some interesting info in this thread Livid. I knew the slip down the side of the idle rocks was there and (I believe) its free, but I haven't used it as I wasn't sure where to set up the boat. Do you trailer it in, or just blow it up in the car park?

I have launched at Pascoes or Percuil boatyard, as they are a bit less crowded and there is room to blow up the boat (parish car park at Percuil, or park on the creek bed at Pascos).

The visitor mooring at Falmouth - you mention a locked gate and paying. Who do you pay? Is there a man there?
Old 15 September 2020, 10:36   #22

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
At the Falmouth Visitor Haven - yes, there's a little hut/office just at the top of the ramp the other side of the code-locked gate where you can pay and obtain the code.
Old 15 September 2020, 10:38   #23

Just to add some useful information that I have learned.

Slightly more inland from Falmouth docks you have mylor marina, where we have been for lunch. There are a couple of restaurants on site and they let us tie up for a couple of hours for free.

Also there is the pandora Inn, which is a pub with a floating pontoon / beer garden. This is up a quiet creek, so none of the big commercial / military ships you have in Falmouth harbour. Both are good to tie up to for lunch / drinks.

I will be down there October 17th and weather permitting will be doing some fishing.
Old 15 September 2020, 10:42   #24

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Some interesting info in this thread Livid. I knew the slip down the side of the idle rocks was there and (I believe) its free, but I haven't used it as I wasn't sure where to set up the boat. Do you trailer it in, or just blow it up in the car park?

I have launched at Pascoes or Percuil boatyard, as they are a bit less crowded and there is room to blow up the boat (parish car park at Percuil, or park on the creek bed at Pascos).

The visitor mooring at Falmouth - you mention a locked gate and paying. Who do you pay? Is there a man there?
My gran used to live in St mawes so I blow it up at the house then run it down the hill on the trailer wheels which is bloody terrifying as the hill is unbelievably steep. Percuil and pascos are also good calls, pascos are currently doing a refurb of my sr4, they're lovely blokes
Old 15 September 2020, 10:44   #25

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Just to add some useful information that I have learned.

Slightly more inland from Falmouth docks you have mylor marina, where we have been for lunch. There are a couple of restaurants on site and they let us tie up for a couple of hours for free.

Also there is the pandora Inn, which is a pub with a floating pontoon / beer garden. This is up a quiet creek, so none of the big commercial / military ships you have in Falmouth harbour. Both are good to tie up to for lunch / drinks.

I will be down there October 17th and weather permitting will be doing some fishing.
Pandora is a fabulous place for dinner but you have to keep an eye on the tides as it turns to mud an hour or two before low tide and you're not getting out without waiting or a hovercraft. you can line catch mackerel past the lighthouse, my family usually take our merry fisher out and luck permitting catch a few dozen, but it's very much luck permitting. you can come back with zilch or 50
Old 15 September 2020, 11:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid View Post
My gran used to live in St mawes so I blow it up at the house then run it down the hill on the trailer wheels which is bloody terrifying as the hill is unbelievably steep.

Those little back streets are very steep, that must have been a bigger joy-ride than the boat ride itself

This thread is certainly whetting the appetite for my October trip. There are a couple of good youtube / blogs fishing that area and looking at previous years, October looks to be one of the best times of year. The Bass and Mackerel should still be there, but with the chance of squid and Cod in the Carrick roads.
Old 16 September 2020, 15:00   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Nice today in Mylor.
Sussing out the launching for Piglet tomorrow.Click image for larger version

Name:	046c28cd-23bc-424f-bef4-a4f8480986b5.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	135137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9264.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	135138
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 21:55   #28

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Wonderful PD! Looking forward to the after action report!
Old 17 September 2020, 09:18   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Nice today in Mylor.
Sussing out the launching for Piglet tomorrow.Attachment 135137Attachment 135138
Main town slip is by far the easiest...biggest best slip Dave...places for trailer and plenty of room to tie up while you sort things out.
Parking can be problematic when it's busy (then you can use the Carpark across the road) but you should be fine mid week.
I was down that way yesterday spent the evening at Lamorna Cove ....little lanes on approach but a nice place for a VW Motorhome to spend some time and where you can park right on the small harbour walls and take in the Sea great views uninterrupted
Unfortunatly no launching these days but not far too from Penzance by Sea.... Cafe and facilities too...but very quiet

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote