Old 08 June 2015, 19:48   #1

Town: evesham
Boat name: philipe
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Transom replacement, adhesive/solvent advice.

Evening all, as per the title I'm replacing a transom with varnished marine ply on a Zodiac cadet. I've ordered the adhesives, 2 part pvc and 1 part hypalon to prime the ply. Now when priming the ply is the hypalon glue allowed to dry before applying the 2 part pvc glue? Secondly, I have MEK, to use as a cleaner for the pvc, is this meant to dry off before applying 2 part adhesive? For anyone wondering why I'm choosing varnish, well the transom in my 1970 Zodiac is still sound after 45 years... Thanks in advance for any advice given, regards, McNish.
Old 08 June 2015, 20:22   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNish View Post
Evening all, as per the title I'm replacing a transom with varnished marine ply on a Zodiac cadet. I've ordered the adhesives, 2 part pvc and 1 part hypalon to prime the ply. Now when priming the ply is the hypalon glue allowed to dry before applying the 2 part pvc glue? Secondly, I have MEK, to use as a cleaner for the pvc, is this meant to dry off before applying 2 part adhesive? For anyone wondering why I'm choosing varnish, well the transom in my 1970 Zodiac is still sound after 45 years... Thanks in advance for any advice given, regards, McNish.
Sounds like a plan!

Just a heads up, the edges are thermoplastic rubber...PVC glue doesn't really work. You need to use an epoxy resin that is designed for plastic, such as West System's plastic boat repair kit.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2015, 20:34   #3

when you say the edges, do you mean the collars? Haven't come across any West System products in my UK research.
Old 08 June 2015, 21:20   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNish View Post
when you say the edges, do you mean the collars? Haven't come across any West System products in my UK research.
I assume you're talking about a Cadet made in the last 20 years? In which case, they had a welded transom.

nearest to you is:
"Scott Bader Co Ltd
Woolaston, Wellingborough, Northants, UK
44 (0) 1933 663100
47.07 miles away"

WEST SYSTEM | Repair Kits
You would need the 655K Plastic Boat Repair Kit

Cut out the old transom rivets, smooth and clean everything, fit your new transom, then glue it in with that epoxy. Once the epoxy has cured, go ahead and glue the PVC over the bottom of the transom with the standard 2 part glue.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2015, 21:51   #5

totally unsure of the age as the makers plate wasn't on it. I have to say that when I was removing the old transom I certainly wouldn't have describe the transom as being welded to the collars, fiddled it out reasonably easily with a flat bladed screwdriver, the only difficulty being the plastic rivets. The epoxy you mention. does it work on contact or require cramping? I can't see a way of cramping the full depth of the transom. Thanks for the contact details that you've looked up for me.