Old 01 December 2008, 12:10   #1

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Transom petrol tank.

I'm thinking of getting one of these to free up some space at the front of my SIB:-

http://www.lodestardirect.co.uk/erol.html#653X670

Has anybody any experience of using one, how have you got on with it etc.

Thanks
XPD.
Old 01 December 2008, 13:25   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A great idea , but I'd be interested to hear if the extra weight at the stern is noticable.
Old 01 December 2008, 15:19   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Is this for the 3m SIB in your profile?

If so I think 6 gallons of fuel stored at the transom could make it very stern heavy and very likely to flip up vertical.

If it was me, I'd not go for it.

Nasher.
Old 01 December 2008, 15:46   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
My thoughts exaclty Nos - I'm always trying to get weight up the front ! Stick 6 gallons on the transom & I'd be well underwater.
Old 01 December 2008, 17:50   #5

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Excel
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Is this for the 3m SIB in your profile?

If so I think 6 gallons of fuel stored at the transom could make it very stern heavy and very likely to flip up vertical.

If it was me, I'd not go for it.

Nasher.
It's for a 3.85, I normally have an 11 year old in the front, where the tank currently is, and want to free up a bit of space for her, so was hoping she would be enough balast up the front.
Old 01 December 2008, 20:37   #6

Town: boca raton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard evinrude 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by XP_Dude View Post
It's for a 3.85, I normally have an 11 year old in the front, where the tank currently is, and want to free up a bit of space for her, so was hoping she would be enough ballast up the front.
Is your fuel line rigid? In other wards do you really have to keep your tank at the front of your SIB? How do you steer the boat? is it tiler or center console?
Anyway for the price of 99 pounds I would have second thouts.
Old 01 December 2008, 21:24   #7

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Crikey what a load of money for a plastic tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the marine buiness is booming with prices like that ,its a shame looks a good idea with the right set up,,,,,,,,,,but why so expensive
Old 01 December 2008, 21:47   #8

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had one on my futura .
I thought it was a good idea on an air floor where a normal tank is always bouncing about and the fuel line is in the way .

There are 2 sizes available the smaller one may be better .

It needs a bungee around the base secured to eyes on the transom to make it really secure .

The only downside i found was that due to its shape there is little room for expansion in hot weather and it can leak out of the cap onto the air floor . Also due to its shape i couldn't get it to take its quoted capacity , but given the baove that a good thing .
I would buy another on for the right boat .
Old 02 December 2008, 05:14   #9

I have the smaller one and use it in a Zebec SE320, I usually have a kit bag that is in the range of 22lbs (10kg) secured in the bow that balances things out pretty good. If I require more fuel with me I secure 1 or 2 12 litre tanks behind the kit bag. I either use a 25hp Yamaha 2str (104lbs) or a 15hp 2str (72lbs) Evinrude on the boat. You do have to balance the load in the boat as you do with any SIB to get it to perform. I really like the tank as it frees up floor space which I dont have much of!

If you want to get an idea as to how your boat will react with the bigger transom tank in place, just put a regular tank that is full on the floor right at the back against the transom on the floor. I didn't like the way my boat carried the weight of that much fuel on the transom.

One thing I like about the tank is when I'm towing people on the knee board is with just the kit bag secured at the bow, and the tank on the transom, you have room to walk in the boat without the fuel line tangling your feet.

Cheers,
Snow.

Here is a pic of my old Zodiac 310 with the tank: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...c/Dscf0069.jpg

And here is a link of my Zebec on the water with the tank in place: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DSCF0021.flv
Old 02 December 2008, 19:57   #10

Town: boca raton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: saturn
Engine: outboard evinrude 15
Is it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrggn View Post
I have the smaller one and use it in a Zebec SE320, I usually have a kit bag that is in the range of 22lbs (10kg) secured in the bow that balances things out pretty good. If I require more fuel with me I secure 1 or 2 12 litre tanks behind the kit bag. I either use a 25hp Yamaha 2str (104lbs) or a 15hp 2str (72lbs) Evinrude on the boat. You do have to balance the load in the boat as you do with any SIB to get it to perform. I really like the tank as it frees up floor space which I dont have much of!

If you want to get an idea as to how your boat will react with the bigger transom tank in place, just put a regular tank that is full on the floor right at the back against the transom on the floor. I didn't like the way my boat carried the weight of that much fuel on the transom.

One thing I like about the tank is when I'm towing people on the knee board is with just the kit bag secured at the bow, and the tank on the transom, you have room to walk in the boat without the fuel line tangling your feet.

Cheers,
Snow.

Here is a pic of my old Zodiac 310 with the tank: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...c/Dscf0069.jpg

And here is a link of my Zebec on the water with the tank in place: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DSCF0021.flv
Thanks for the picture, now I understand it hangs on your transom, am I right?
Old 03 December 2008, 01:55   #11

Pretty much as you see it in the picture. I haven't had any problem with it not staying in position or banging around, even when it it rough out and just about empty.

Snow.
Old 03 December 2008, 05:17   #12

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Make certain it does not block drainage out the scuppers.