Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 01 June 2017, 20:49   #1

Town: Southern California
Length: 3m +
Trailer bunks? - Towing with or without motor?

This is probably a strange question but I've never trailered before. My dad has an old trailer from the 80's that I'm going to use to keep my SIB inflated for the summer. My boat is a 14' Alu floor and I use a 15 HP 2 stroke that weighs around 65 lbs. The trailer looks similar to the image with the slightly angled bunks.

I plan to tow it only about 3 miles to the marina and will keep it under 45 mph. Will this trailer suffice? Are flatbeds best for towing with a motor mounted on the transom? Would you tow it with or without the motor? What about storing the motor on the transom for the summer? Thanks for your help!

Old 01 June 2017, 21:00   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Yes to all but it would be better with rollers for a solid hull boat for launching unless you can float off easy
Old 01 June 2017, 21:13   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Make sure:

A: bearrings are good if not been changed for a while just replace them they are probably $15 a side max

B: the transom sits on the bunks (many can adjust the angle) to take weight of motor and make sure you have enough nose weight may need to move the axle back

C: if you tow with motor on the transom secure it so it doesn't bounce (strap round leg to the trailer frame and step transom to trailer too).
Old 02 June 2017, 02:10   #4

Town: Southern California
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Make sure:

A: bearrings are good if not been changed for a while just replace them they are probably $15 a side max

B: the transom sits on the bunks (many can adjust the angle) to take weight of motor and make sure you have enough nose weight may need to move the axle back

C: if you tow with motor on the transom secure it so it doesn't bounce (strap round leg to the trailer frame and step transom to trailer too).
Awesome. Thank you everyone!