Old 23 July 2022, 15:19   #1

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
Trailer and bombard aerotec 3.8

Just bought a trailer for my bombard aerotec 380
Is it better to remove outboard when using trailer with the 380 or is it ok to leave on , got a 15hp yam 2 stroke which I use tiller , and a 25 mariner which hooks up to all the crossbar steering ,
My thinking was there Must be similar forces at work when on trailer as in water , but have heard it could damage transform on trailer
Thoughts please
Old 23 July 2022, 22:41   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Dino, when I'm on holiday I trailer my Excel SD360 with a 15hp 4s efi attached and haven't had any problems. I don't travel far, probably 10 miles max. However, I do think it depends on a few things, my thoughts are:-
As it's a SIB the trailer needs to have bunks not rollers. The trailer suspension must be in good condition. The bunks need to extend far enough to support the transom. The transom needs to be well strapped down on the bunks. I support and strap the OB leg to the bunks. The OB is bolted to the transom. I don't drive too fast and avoid pot holes like the plague!
I have driven 70+ miles towing the SIB on the trailer, but I don't leave the OB attached.
Old 24 July 2022, 09:33   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Just dismantled my Aerotec trailer and it had a support for the transom in the centre, not sure if it was purpose built for the Aerotec having a deep keel......

I drove from Weston to Birmingham with the outboard on, supported the leg with some 4x2 to take the strain of all the bouncing about and I used a strap to hold the leg down onto the 4x2. Went ok considering the state of the transom, glue failing ( I never noticed it during the purchase)

On a previous Rib the auxiliary engine (3.3hp) I had on the transom took a bit of hammering on its first journey. The transom clamp just wasn't upto the speed both on the trailer and in the water. The auxiliary was then removed, bagged up and stored on the RIB.
Old 24 July 2022, 11:44   #4

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
I trailer my 3.6 sib everywhere the only time it comes off is when launching and retrieving.
Most important thing is that the transom with the outboard on is supported on the bunks and to lash the outboard dowm stop it jumping about, I trailered my sib all the way from UK to Spain no problem.
Old 24 July 2022, 18:25   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
I trailer my 3.6 sib everywhere the only time it comes off is when launching and retrieving.
Most important thing is that the transom with the outboard on is supported on the bunks and to lash the outboard dowm stop it jumping about, I trailered my sib all the way from UK to Spain no problem.
+1
Old 24 July 2022, 21:24   #6

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
thanks guys , the trailer has bunks real heavy duty ,was purpose built for same size honwave i believe ,it looks like it will cater for the deep v and the tubes will sit on bunks may have to adjust it a bit , but measurements look fairly compatable , will be trying it soon , probably max journey will be under 10 mile to polly steps or a couple of mile to yatch club slip starcross, will let you know how it goes

Tags
trailer