Old 25 March 2022, 09:31   #1

Town: Polruan
Boat name: Maze Coot
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20
Towing a tube

I’m half thinking of entertaining my nephews, nieces and friends kids with a towable tube.

Is this possible, sensible, practical with a Honwave SIB and a 20hp hand tiller motor?

I’m not committed to it, but it could be fun…
Old 25 March 2022, 10:43   #2

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Engine: Outboard
Hi I'm not sure what you mean by tube but if its one of those ringo things then your set up should be fine. Just make sure you attach a proper bridle and float to keep it all away from the prop.
Old 25 March 2022, 11:06   #3

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
The pancake or sledge type that skim across the surface are much easier to get going if you're a bit underpowered or towing someone who enjoys a few pies.
I found the donut type can create too much drag.
Old 25 March 2022, 12:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Hi I'm not sure what you mean by tube but if its one of those ringo things then your set up should be fine. Just make sure you attach a proper bridle and float to keep it all away from the prop.

Thanks - good tips
Old 25 March 2022, 12:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
The pancake or sledge type that skim across the surface are much easier to get going if you're a bit underpowered or towing someone who enjoys a few pies.
I found the donut type can create too much drag.

That makes really good sense. Thanks.

PS - I like pies
Old 25 March 2022, 12:54   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Is this possible, sensible, practical with a Honwave SIB and a 20hp hand tiller motor?
Possible - yes
Sensible - can be, but not everyone is - you need to be aware of the risks
Practical - as well as the tips above you need to think about how many people will be on the boat. You'll not have capacity to take a big group and get a ring on the plane - so you will likely need to run back and forth to the shore when you change people. Doing that can be a bit of PITA, especially if you have any speed limits etc.

In terms of safety. Have you ever done it before? Do you understand what is involved? Spotter? Signals? Swing radius? Is the force in a really sharp turn enough to flip the sib? What will you do if the kid is in the water and you have engine problem? Are the kids sensible enough to be aware of the prop/follow instructions? How much have you practised picking up a MOB - even a sib can hurt.
Old 25 March 2022, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Possible - yes
Sensible - can be, but not everyone is - you need to be aware of the risks
Practical - as well as the tips above you need to think about how many people will be on the boat. You'll not have capacity to take a big group and get a ring on the plane - so you will likely need to run back and forth to the shore when you change people. Doing that can be a bit of PITA, especially if you have any speed limits etc.

In terms of safety. Have you ever done it before? Do you understand what is involved? Spotter? Signals? Swing radius? Is the force in a really sharp turn enough to flip the sib? What will you do if the kid is in the water and you have engine problem? Are the kids sensible enough to be aware of the prop/follow instructions? How much have you practised picking up a MOB - even a sib can hurt.

Thanks… I am generally sensible and would be checking out all of the above.
Old 25 March 2022, 15:41   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Tubes and rings are OK but pretty boring after a short while - get them on a kneeboard or pair of junior skis or even a wakeboard and hooked on one of the best sports for life. Pick them up used on eBay for peanuts. I have even kneeboarded and mono'd behind an Aerotec with a 15!

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/waters...tec-69883.html

Old 25 March 2022, 18:34   #9

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Towing a tube

In terms of power and sib size, then yes should be ok. We spent years towing our teenagers on ringo’s, kneeboards and latterly wakeboards with our 3.5 to 3.8m sibs powered by a 20hp Suzuki efi. Never struggled with power.

Great fun and unreal ‘bang for bucks’ to be honest. True ringos can be a tad draggy, traditional doughnuts especially although never found this a particular issue, but far easier to get a kneeboard or even wakeboard ‘out the hole’

For a sib towable, the kids go to favourite, was always our insane Airhead Slash 2…great name, easy to pull, steerable, easy to get on as low at the back and space for two medium size pilots. Boatworld now sell their own version https://boatworld.co.uk/boatworld-demon-2

Get a decent bridle, be sensible and go have some fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9611.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	140086
Old 25 March 2022, 19:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
In terms of power and sib size, then yes should be ok. We spent years towing our teenagers on ringo’s, kneeboards and latterly wakeboards with our 3.5 to 3.8m sibs powered by a 20hp Suzuki efi. Never struggled with power.

Great fun and unreal ‘bang for bucks’ to be honest. True ringos can be a tad draggy, traditional doughnuts especially although never found this a particular issue, but far easier to get a kneeboard or even wakeboard ‘out the hole’

For a sib towable, the kids go to favourite, was always our insane Airhead Slash 2…great name, easy to pull, steerable, easy to get on as low at the back and space for two medium size pilots. Boatworld now sell their own version https://boatworld.co.uk/boatworld-demon-2

Get a decent bridle, be sensible and go have some fun.

Attachment 140086

Thanks … great guidance there. I’m getting excited!